Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 3:34 PM
Default Let's talk about Instantiator
Hi all!

So if you're a bit familiar with scripting, you might have heard of the Instantiator. Now, personally, the only real idea of what I think it is is just to inject interactions to existing objects, etc. but personally, even with all the info given about it, I'm not quite sure why we use it. I mean, there are pure script object mods that don't use it, so is it even that important? If not, why do we actually add it to our script mods?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 4:14 PM
It's pretty simple actually :

1) Object mods don't have an Instantiator because the game loads the object and automatically any script tied to it from the references in the XML files. This mechanism is already built in the game core because that's how EA planned to have players install additional items that you buy from the store.

2) Pure Script mods have no object, just the script inside an XML and optional XML or ITUN files. Of course the game core doesn't have a mechanism to automatically read an "orphan" DLL, it only loads the XML and ITUN files. This means that an Instantiator is the only possible way to have the game core read from the script. In a way, the Instantiator is the object of an Object Mod, except it's not.

I hope that was clear enough

Nothing's real. Nothing's unreal either.
The frontier between true and untrue is a shady fuzzy line.
Destiny, or maybe the long flight's time-span, shall decide the issue.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 6:01 PM
That is actually super helpful! I wonder if it's selfish to bookmark your own thread now :P

Thank you for explaining! It's really appreciated (Especially when looking at the helpfuls )
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
That is actually super helpful! I wonder if it's selfish to bookmark your own thread now :P

Thank you for explaining! It's really appreciated (Especially when looking at the helpfuls )

No problem, I'm glad I could be of help

P.S. We have personal picks for our own mods and that's super-selfish, so bookmarking your own thread won't do any harm I guess

Nothing's real. Nothing's unreal either.
The frontier between true and untrue is a shady fuzzy line.
Destiny, or maybe the long flight's time-span, shall decide the issue.