Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 10:32 AM
Default Graphics card for the Sims 2
The cards suggested to me I am having trouble getting. Those were the NVIDIA 970 or 980; or the AMD 290 or 390.

The tech guy is suggesting AMD Radeon RX560.

Can anyone here tell me if this is a good card to use with Sims2 and lots of high texture CC or if there is something better or equivalent to the cards that I can't get?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 5:04 AM
Graphics cards are expensive and hard to get right now because of all the cryptomining going on. The AMD RX560 is a little bit weaker than the GTX 970, but I think it should still be plenty powerful for the sims 2. Alternatively you could look at the GTX 1050, or the GTX 1060 (which is similar to the older GTX 970)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 11:10 AM
It's not so much just the sims 2 it's the 20 Gigs of high detailed sims 2 custom content plus other games, but sims 2 is the most important. I also own sims 4 which exploded into coloured shards on my current old card, there is Skyrim which is having issues and other games like Dragon Age Inquisition (played on low with a mod for 2 cores) very poor graphics performance. I am getting an all-new setup but want to make sure I get the right card. I was told I need a 4kb card.

The plan was: (gleaned by talking to various people)
32 Ram
Cpu 3.5 processor since sims 2 requires it be faster to deal with more cores.(it prefers 2 cores)
Win 10 I guess (don't care for this I am currently on 7. Someone told me 8.1 is better but I don't have much chance of getting it)
power supply at least 750
Motherboard (no clue)
An SSD (I think 500 was mentioned)

The only new thing I currently own is my new Dell monitor everything else is 6-8 years old. Also, I am in Australia. I think I posted in here a year ago and things are getting to crunch time since I recently had a graphics card crash playing sims with spikes coming out of sims and black spots. I would like to not spend over 1.5 if it can be helped, but I am flexible.

The main reason I was as avoiding the 10s cards is the current complaints I have seen both on MTS and elsewhere over windows 10 updates and trouble with NVIDIA series 10 cards causing crashing, lagging a poor performance.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It's not so much just the sims 2 it's the 20 Gigs of high detailed sims 2 custom content plus other games, but sims 2 is the most important. I also own sims 4 which exploded into coloured shards on my current old card, there is Skyrim which is having issues and other games like Dragon Age Inquisition (played on low with a mod for 2 cores) very poor graphics performance. I am getting an all-new setup but want to make sure I get the right card. I was told I need a 4kb card.

The plan was: (gleaned by talking to various people)
32 Ram
Cpu 3.5 processor since sims 2 requires it be faster to deal with more cores.(it prefers 2 cores)
Win 10 I guess (don't care for this I am currently on 7. Someone told me 8.1 is better but I don't have much chance of getting it)
power supply at least 750
Motherboard (no clue)
An SSD (I think 500 was mentioned)

The only new thing I currently own is my new Dell monitor everything else is 6-8 years old. Also, I am in Australia. I think I posted in here a year ago and things are getting to crunch time since I recently had a graphics card crash playing sims with spikes coming out of sims and black spots. I would like to not spend over 1.5 if it can be helped, but I am flexible.

The main reason I was as avoiding the 10s cards is the current complaints I have seen both on MTS and elsewhere over windows 10 updates and trouble with NVIDIA series 10 cards causing crashing, lagging a poor performance.

Old thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=579741

Most of the general advice given still holds true, however the specific hardware recommendations probably don't (haven't checked). Odd thing is, despite all the past recommendations, it may now be cheaper for you to buy a pre-assembled computer than to buy the parts and assemble yourself. You'll have to shop around and compare. Also, it's an expensive time to buy right now, even more than say a year ago. I'd say wait a year and see if prices go down, but I don't know if you can do that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 10:06 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 31st Jan 2018 at 10:34 PM.
I haven't got a year, I feel like it's being held together by spit and bandaids as it is. All over the world is expensive? I guess I will have to just wear it. :/ Will off the shelf be any good?

Basically, I just want to be told what to get, like maybe 2-3 options of what is good. I got very confused on the other thread.

Okay DH got me the guys list of what he suggests.

ACase MT-201, Mini Tower Case, 2 x USB3.0, HD Audio, 120MM Case Fan, Card Reader, 500w ATX Power Supply, AU Power Cord

· Intel Core I5-7600K Quad Core 4.20GHz SKT-1151 Box 7th Generation, BX80677I57600K

· Cooler Master RR-TX3E-28PK-R1, Cooler Hyper TX3 EVO- Suipports Socket-LGA 1366/1150/1151/1156/1155/775, AMD(FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2), 3xHeatpipes, Fan Speed:800-2800RPM, Fan Airflow-17.0-35.0CFM +/-10%, Fan Noise-17.0-35.0, Long Life Sleeve Bearing, Fan Life-4000hrs

· Intel SSDSC2KW512G8X1 , 512GB SSD 545S SERIES 512GB 2.5IN SATA 6GB/S 550R/500W-MB/s,3D2 TLC RETAIL BOX

· WD 1TB SATA 6, Caviar Blue, 64MB, 3.5", 7200 RPM, WD10EZEX

· 2 X Kingston KVR21R15S4/8, 8GB DDR4, ECC 2133MHz , CL15 , 288-Pin, 1.2V , Registered , DIMM

· Asus PRIME-B250M-A, SKT-1151, Micro ATX, 4xDDR4 SDRAM Max upto 64GB, 2xM.2 Interfaces, 2xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16, 6xSATA, 3xExpansion Slots, 3xUSB3.0, DVI, HDMI, CPU Dependent Video

· LG [GH24NSD1] 24X+-DL DVDR/RW OEM Burner Black SATA Drive, Cyberlink

· Asus ROG-STRIX-RX560-O4G-GAMING, AMD Radeon RX560 PCIE Graphics Card, GDDR5 4GB, 1336 MHz (OC mode), 1326 MHz (gaming mode), 7000 Mhz, 128 Bit

· Microsoft KW9-00139, Windows Home 10 64 Bit Eng Intl 1pk DSP OEI DVD

I am now looking at this card which is still cheap https://www.amazon.com/MSI-RX-560-A...d+radeon+rx+390

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 9:57 AM
I bought a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 after months of research (in 2016 or was it '17). I wanted to be sure, since I was building my own gaming computer. I'm in love with it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 3:26 AM
Yes that's what Gina uses and suggests but we can't get it. Well, we have told the guy to go ahead so I hope this works. I read so much about the issues people have with lag, crashing etc, makes me nervous. It's got to that point though that my graphics card is causing crashing so it's got to be done.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:55 AM
Oh..you are going for Windows 10..seriously? You like challenges.
My Win 7 Professional SP1 64 bits cost me 165$ (CAN) and is still available on Newegg.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 1:56 PM
I don't want to go for windows 10 at all, I would rather stay with 7. I'll look around but how long is it going to be supported?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 2:10 PM
That, I have no clue. But as long as I can play my favorite game, I'll stick to it. I might need to upgrade absolutely at one point, I'll see when/if ever it goes down to this.
Some still uses Win XP...to this date.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, I may be forced to it, Microsoft has done things to ensure that win 7 or 8 do not work with new motherboards so it isn't because I am being particularly brave or want the latest stuff. I have held on to my old computer for as long as I can though. It's absolute swindle and all levels of wrong what Microsoft are doing. I am asking him (tech guy) if it can keep 7 but that depends on the motherboard. If I am forced to 10 I have found a way online to stop it updating at least-again something else that Microsoft has tried to force.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 6:34 PM
I know you are not a tech, me not a tech either, but what this guy told you is not true.
The motherboard will determine what graphic cards you can use, what CPU you can have and it deals with the RAM options. It has nothing to do with the OS.
My son, who built my computer, also shops for all the parts. I told him I wanted a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, nothing else. He started with this.
He first bought his own gaming computer, part by part. (with MY credit card...lol) Then he assembled it, with help. (my other son, older)
When I said I was ready financially for my own gaming computer, I asked him to build me the same thing he had.
Our computers are identical, except these details :
His has a black case, mine is white, I love white.
I have double the RAM. -I is a Simmer.
I have one more SSD. -I is a Simmer.
He has Windows 10...I have Windows 7.
Same components..different OS.

What was the most important for me was able to play The Sims 2. So there was 3 things I would get for sure, without accepting less and those things were:
Win 7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphic card, and at least 16 gig of RAM.

It will be your computer, and i really hope you'll find exactly what and how you want it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 2:14 AM
He said he would see if 7 can be installed or if not that he will look for 8.1 but wasn't too hopeful on getting that. I like 7, sims 2 always played well on it so I hope I can keep it since it's nice and familiar. I don't know, I am kind of in the position of having to take what I can get. :/ We could not get the 970 card at all. I hope it all works out too, he's a nice guy, a local school teacher not a Microsoft employee or anything, so I am sure he will do his best. Our friend who use to work for Microsoft Australia and did my older computers isn't well enough, unfortunately.

~Call me Jo~