Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 2:44 AM
Default TSR Madness
I might be late with this because I've been having computer problems this past month and downloaded CC for the first time in a while, but I just went to download something from TSR and was greeted with this:

When the hell did they start doing this? So making people with Adblock wait an extra minute wasn't enough (although I never had to do that because I have another browser extension that skips the wait times on TSR)? Now they have to completely bar you from downloading anything unless you allow yourself to be bombarded with ads (or pay up )?

What do you guys think of this? All I know is that I'm officially done downloading from TSR. It makes me sad because there are a lot of creators on there whose content I enjoy. But I refuse to support a website that does shit like this, because to me it's equivalent to saying that I'm okay with them backing people into a corner to choose between paying money or risking giving their computer AIDS from the 500 ads they put on each page.
Screenshots

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 4:23 AM
I use Vivaldi browser along with my only extension UBlock Origin , and by default it just skips almost all the advertising, including the countdown clock.

Just checked again after you stated this, and works just as fine as it always has.
Instructor
#3 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:58 AM
What browser do you use? and what adblocker are you using? I use uBlock Origin very great extension along with the TSR skipper.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 8:02 AM
Ugh. "Please disable your ad blocker so that our sponsors may download malware onto your computer." Also fuck TSR, I used to constantly get virus and malware warnings from that site years ago.

uBlock Origin is the king, buddy. AdBlocker sold out so I suggest to everyone to go for uBlock, it was made by the original Adblock creator. Try it and see if it helps.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 1:07 PM
just from visiting the frontpage of TSR I got like 100 blocked ads and I had the site opened for like 1 minute after that minutes it goes up to like 300.
My advice is just stay away from that site, most of the CC isn't worth it either, it's mostly shitty CC ( either low quality,weird shiny textures or weird mesh edits and sometimes even CC that has weird tags like shoe that had the nude tag checked)
dodgy builder
#6 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buddy92
just from visiting the frontpage of TSR I got like 100 blocked ads and I had the site opened for like 1 minute after that minutes it goes up to like 300.
My advice is just stay away from that site, most of the CC isn't worth it either, it's mostly shitty CC ( either low quality,weird shiny textures or weird mesh edits and sometimes even CC that has weird tags like shoe that had the nude tag checked)

Well, if that's the case I wonder where you download from.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:01 PM
I hear they have CC and mods at this site called "Mod the Sims."
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 6:43 PM
TSR has always been shady as all get-out, so it's always been surprising for me to see so much of the TS4 community feeding it and supporting it. Its reasons like this that I stopped going on that website a looooooong long time ago unless it was a piece of CC I absolutely needed and couldn't get anywhere else. You guys should all unite as a community and convince creators to upload their creations elsewhere. The website will die without their content, as it rightfully should. I'm glad most TS2 creators have moved on from that hellhole.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 8:03 PM
It's their "nope, we're not a paysite, absolutely not! Nope, nada, nix!" thing. Used to be a paysite, pretends not to be any more.

So I counter with "nope, I'm not using adblockers! Nope, nada, nix!" methods. There's no way I'm paying anything to TSR...

Get an adblock-blocker blocker add-on for your browser (they exist for Firefox and Chrome, possibly others).

That, or only open one window at a time. If you don't see the Adblock warning and you get the ten second wait, you're good (bug in the system, works on some browsers). You may have to close down the browser and open back up to make it work again (usualy only works once or twice for me). I usually browse around collecting links, then open one at a time and download. If this method fails, the blocker on Firefox works.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I hear they have CC and mods at this site called "Mod the Sims."

Oh so that was for me was it? It's a long time ago I stopped downloading anything else than mods from mts for the same reason
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 6:15 AM
They had the wait up to 3 minutes. Then they started this. I gave them a strong piece of my mind and never checked back to see if any response or not. I am not changing my ad blocker, which frankly I have no idea how to do as never tried to disable it, and I think my Kaspersky has it automatically. I just said to heck with them. Until they get enough complaints and change it back I am not even trying to deal with them. I along with many others got totally fed up with that site years ago. It all went downhill big time and then almost all the moderators were even so fed up they left and set up Platinum Simmers. That site is now a total PITA IMO.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Per recommendation of comments in this thread, I uninstalled AdBlock and installed UBlock. For giggles, I went to TSR to see if I could download anything without opening up the download in a new page or if there was a wait time.

The first time I tried, I was blocked immediately. Second time I had to open the download in a new window and still had the 10 second waiting time. I use Chrome. What browser is everybody using that makes UBlock work better as it didn't make any difference on my end. I may as well have stayed with AdBlock.

I don't know what your problem is, but I have uBlock Origin and I was able to download just fine using Chrome.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I don't know why you're getting your nose all bent out of joint over a Ad Blocker. I asked a question, you apparently don't want to answer it. Buh-bye!

I was just saying it worked for me. But since you insist on being a bitch, you're going on my Ignore list.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 12:46 PM
Works for me as well. UBlock Origin on Chrome just speeds up the timer and I get the download in one second. You don't really have to be that snarky, Gargoyle. He was just saying it worked for him. You maybe misinterpreted it.

It's funny tho, even after this, I won't download content from there. I just don't find their content appealing.
Scholar
#15 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adamsavagefan
I was just saying it worked for me. But since you insist on being a bitch, you're going on my Ignore list.

I think that if you're really trying you could read "I don't know what your problem is" in a bad way
maybe that's what she did..
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Works for me as well. UBlock Origin on Chrome just speeds up the timer and I get the download in one second. You don't really have to be that snarky, Gargoyle. He was just saying it worked for him. You maybe misinterpreted it.

It's funny tho, even after this, I won't download content from there. I just don't find their content appealing.

I have been saying "just say no!" to TSR since Sims 2. I see no reason to change my mind.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cheezypuff121P
You guys should all unite as a community and convince creators to upload their creations elsewhere. The website will die without their content, as it rightfully should.

I wish the creators I liked on there would put their stuff here on MTS, but it doesn't appear like that'll happen.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
#18 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
I wish the creators I liked on there would put their stuff here on MTS, but it doesn't appear like that'll happen.

That's because MTS has a strict rules about attaching their (the modders) patreon or any other 'donation' site; Who can stay motivated when you had made the best mod in the world and payed for nothing? Moreover they have to keep their mods up to date.

Deaderpool (the creator of MCCC) moved from MTS to his own site for reasons.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:33 AM
I found a video that explains how to use a tamper monkey script to bypass needing an account.
Freemium Script for Tamper monkey.

Youtube Video

I used it for a little bit and it's nice to finally get their content without being punished for it.