Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 7:58 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Dealing with sloped terrain
Sims in my game often cannot cross sloped terrain. They can't reach their target objects, they may become trapped on the lot if they can't walk to the exit portal. If I take a person and direct them to run there manually, they cannot complete the journey. The same lot might be work fine when loaded another time, and on another day they cannot climb the slope again. The height they must climb can be absolutely minimal, barely visible to the eye. Or it can be substantial, like the Smooth Rock Spa in Three Lakes where the hot springs are raised. There not need to be any stairs involved.

For example the Club Dante lot. The road is at height 0, and the rest of the is slightly sunken at -0.0375. Visitors sometimes cannot leave it. Or the Hunter's Park lot, with a slightly sunken gazebo in the middle.

I cannot solve this by modding. The instruction to walk to another spot fails, and this is as far as I can understand it. If there is a mod that makes them more sensitive "sometimes," I haven't identified it,

This is in FreeTime game version 1.13.0.161.

Can I flatten the terrain without demolishing structures to remove the problem?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 8:40 AM
Yes, slopes are very broken in the game. Just flatten the lot. It doesn't demolish anything.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 9:00 AM
If I drag the level terrain over a building, it won't let me do it. The tiles around it are red and don't change. Is there a cheat?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 9:13 AM
There's a button on the UI that flattens the whole lot. You just have to click that button.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 9:22 AM
You may also have to use constrain floor elevation.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 10:46 AM
It works with boolProp constrainFloorElevation false !

Modular stairs become misaligned and may need to be rebuilt. I don't know if they would fix themselves later. Objects with placement flags 0F "on water surface" are deleted if the height changes (even if they are not on water).

I want to flatten only the portions that are approximately flat already and not a pond.
Alchemist
#7 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 7:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
It works with boolProp constrainFloorElevation false !

Modular stairs become misaligned and may need to be rebuilt. I don't know if they would fix themselves later. Objects with placement flags 0F "on water surface" are deleted if the height changes (even if they are not on water).

I want to flatten only the portions that are approximately flat already and not a pond.

Sounds like a selective use of CFE. Go slow, save often if you think you might mess something (like a pond) up.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 10:13 AM
The constrainFloorElevation is really useful. Almost everything remains working perfectly after I flattened Club Dante, and the problem with visitors unable to leave doesn't happen anymore. Now if it was possible to flatten the neighborhood and avoid having the lot border having a slope. I don't understand while are neighborhoods slightly hilly to begin with if the difference in height is almost invisible but still causes problems.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 11:58 AM
The stairs probably won't fix themselves and sims might not be able to use them.

As a note, you can use stairs on sloped ground to help sims navigate! I do this sometimes in lots where I want a more "natural" feel.

You do normally have to level out a flat area around things they are supposed to be able to interact with. They are very finicky there. Pathing, I can usually manage as long as the slope is not too steep. Sometimes they will walk up an implausibly steep slope, which just looks very strange.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
The constrainFloorElevation is really useful. Almost everything remains working perfectly after I flattened Club Dante, and the problem with visitors unable to leave doesn't happen anymore. Now if it was possible to flatten the neighborhood and avoid having the lot border having a slope. I don't understand while are neighborhoods slightly hilly to begin with if the difference in height is almost invisible but still causes problems.

I think you could probably change the lot edges with the lot adjustor program, and also if you have M&G stuff you can flatten the actual neighbourhood terrain.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 12:51 AM
If I just modify neighborhood terrain, its height is carried with the lot. The ground becomes crooked again when I put the lot down.

I used the empty "Just Flowers and More" to experiment. It is a bit raised, and I don't think that adds much to its visual appeal.

This sequence of operations seems to work:

- Flatten the ground inside the lot. The edges are still tilted.
- Use the Lot Adjustor to turn the edges flat. Select Place Portals Manually to avoid moving the payphone.
- Look inside the lot and accept the edges are straight; maybe saving is needed at this point.
- Move the lot and neighboring lots to a flat spot.
- Modify the neighborhood terrain with the backslash key.
- Put the lot back into its original place, which is now flat.

It seems that I need to enter the lot. When I put the neighboring Adorable Bakery back without entering it, it copied a terrain hump with it.

Objects seem to snap to floor level when they are touched, except stairs. Stairs are still usable when adjusted by the smallest amount, but I can see a wall poking out from under the top step.

I wonder how you would remove the grey terrain on the edge of Ramirez's Fine Furniture. Before flattening, it had a cliff there, which required a hazard sign.