Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!

No (or fewer) automatic memories (with custom tool to make your own mod) Edited 01/16/2014

SCREENSHOTS
Downloads 4,664 Thanks  Thanks Favourited 617,788 Views
  Featured Upload!   This is a featured upload! It showcases the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
Uploaded: 19th Jun 2011 at 5:16 PM
Updated: 19th Aug 2014 at 6:43 PM - added note about patch 1.66
Update 08/19/2014: patch 1.67 did not modify the resource in question, so the 1.63 packages fit with the patch as well.
Update 01/16/2014: patch 1.66 does not modify the resource in question, so the 1.63 packages fit with the patch as well.
Update 10/19/2013: I updated pre-made packages for patch 1.63. The tool still works for the patch. As always with a patch that changes the resource, remember to update the custom package you've created to fit with the new patch version 1.63.
Update 09/04/2013: patch 1.57 does not modify the resource in question, so the 1.55 packages fit with the patch as well.
Update 08/12/2013: added "Complete Skill Achievement for $skill" to important memories package

A wedding is a pretty memorable thing. So is having a baby. But catching a great fish? Going shopping? Visiting the park - again?!

This mod stops the memory scrapbook from filling up with useless memories that then have to be manually deleted to make place for custom memories or to keep savefiles small. It can also be useful to prevent the memory popup from ruining screenshots of the important moments in your sim's life.

Usage: Copy the package (downloaded or self-created with the tool) into your mod folder. Only use one package at a time!

Make sure the version of the mod fits the patch level. Running The Sims 3 with an outdated version of this mod can cause errors with wishes (lifetime and normal) and GUI issues with the main tabs.

Note: This mod modifies DreamsAndPromisesNodes (TGI: 0x0333406C-0x00000000-0x9A976C90ECC75C81) and will conflict with all other mods that do so. This mods sets the IsLifeEvent tags of individual dream nodes to nothing, so that the game doesn't consider them memories any more.

Obviously, what is worth remembering is a highly subjective thing. Some people might want all social related memories, but none for the skills, others might want it the other way round. In order to accommodate this need, I created a little tool that allows you to uncheck the memories you don't want to be created automatically and save your own custom made memory mod package from the selection you made in the tool.

Here's a screenshot of the tool:

Requirements: The tool requires .NET Framework 3.5 to run (the latest should work as well). It works for Windows and might work on other platforms with Mono, however I can't provide assistance for that.

Instructions:
a) Unzip the tool
b) Start TS3_Memory_Modder.exe: The application it will attempt to read the Sims 3 installation directory from the registry and if it doesn't find it, it will prompt you for it.
c) Uncheck the memories you don't want (if you only want few memories, it will be helpful to first uncheck all and then check the ones you want). Don't worry about the checkboxes for the header items; they are ignored.
d) Click save and enter the path where you want to save your mod package (e.g. in your mod folder)
e) Wait for a message to pop up that confirms your file was saved (this should only take a few seconds)
f) Close the tool and test the package in game

Additional option: You can load an existing package file that will restore which memories were checked and unchecked from the package.
Note for xml modders: Please be aware that this will only be read to uncheck memories. I.e. if you made other changes in the package (like changing memory icons or whether a memory is neutral or happy or bad) they will not be in the newly saved package! (If you only created memory mod packages with this tool and didn't modify them, this is not a concern for you and you can safely load a package, make changes, and save it again.)

For your information: If you'd like to provide different ready-made flavors of memory mods made with this tool, please do so. It was the reason for making it.

I've also attached two ready-made flavors:

1) No automatic memories. As the name suggests, no memories will be created automatically. If you want memories, you have to (and still can) create them manually.

2) Only important automatic memories. This package will allow automatic creation of a few selected important or memorable (and specifically rare) life events.

I do not plan on providing additional flavors myself. Please create them with the tool.

General note: Just because an event is set to allow triggering of a memory doesn't necessarily always do so. The specific dream node needs to be active in the game as well for the sim. E.g. "Sibling is born" did not cause a memory in my tests, even though it was activated. Some memories also have a tuning that makes them appear only once every few days. If you want to go into more detail with modding this, you'll need to manually edit the .xml file as with any other tuning mod.

Localized version:

The new version uses in-game strings for the memories and allows you to select from a list of game-supported languages.

The tool GUI itself and the categories are not automatically translated, but can be. In the package you'll find an unfinished example for a German translation file.

Usage:
To switch to a different language simply select it in the drop-down box at the top and wait for the GUI to rebuild.

Note: Untranslated values are displayed in English. This goes for the GUI as well as missing translations (e.g. the Mexican Spanish translations don't seem to exist for the memories).

For Translators: Copy the file Strings_ENG_US_0x000f16b00ba8342f.txt into the same folder and name the copy the same as the string in the drop-down for your language. Change the string after the equal symbol to your translated string. (As an example see the first few strings in the German localization file.) You can test your translation immediately by restarting the tool (or simply switching to another language and back to yours). If you attach your translation in a comment, I can add it to the tool.

Additional Credits:
Many thanks to Peter Jones for the S3PI library, parts of which are included in the tool. (As per the S3PI license, this tool is also GPL 3.0 and the source code is attached.)
Localization of GUI and categories:
Thanks to Sims MX for the Spanish (ES and MX) and French localization.
Thanks to Crinrict for the German localization.
Thanks to hotroxy777 and Wojtek for the Polish localization.