Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:09 AM Last edited by MemoryOfAxel : 29th Jun 2015 at 5:11 AM. Reason: Update
When my room is closed, the game crashes. When open, it doesn't. Help me please!
This is possibly the weirdest glitch I've ever had. Every time my two sims woohoo in a bed placed without moveobjects on the game crashes. I've tried removing the furniture surrounding it and it still crashes when I try. I've removed all my mods, still crashes. I've replaced the bed with another bed from the catalogue, still crashes. I move the bed to the center of the room... doesn't crash. I'm genuinely so confused. Can anyone help me with this? I don't even know where to look for guidance since everyone else's issue was solved by removing CC, but in my case it doesn't help at all.

I figured maybe it was a bad tile and moved *every* room in the house to the other end of the lot, worked when I tested it quickly. I rebuilt the room and my sims woohooed automatically, BAM, game crashed when the woohoo animation was almost over.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:12 AM
After yet another test (It's been 4 hours of testing now), when I remove the wall behind the bed the woohoo goes fine and the game doesn't crash. When I re-add the wall - crash. I don't understand at all.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 4:32 AM Last edited by MemoryOfAxel : 29th Jun 2015 at 4:48 AM.

I finally found the issue. The issue was a candle outside the apartment. I realized that when I removed the wall and tried to re-add it the table on the balcony of my deck and everything on it would become highlighted. I deleted all the clutter on the table one by one in between rebuilding the wall and after removing the candle the issue completely solved itself. I can't believe I just wasted four and a half hours of my life trying to fix my game when the issue was a CANDLE. My game is working fine now. For anyone reading this who may have the same issue (crashing when Sims woohoo in an enclosed room) - start by breaking the room by deleting one piece of the wall. If the game doesn't crash next time you try it's likely due to a weird buy/build conflict. In my case it was the Diningroom Munich MiniCandle by BuffSumm @ TSR.

EDIT:

Disregard everything I just said. It's still happening.
http://i.imgur.com/bXiKdT1.jpg?2

Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:31 AM Last edited by MemoryOfAxel : 29th Jun 2015 at 5:45 AM.
For some reason removing the basegame TV above the fireplace fixed the bug... I'm more confused than I was when all this started.

EDIT: Okay apparently not. I'm at a total loss. Maybe it's when the TV is running. ;-;

EDIT 2: Sims 4 still crashes when woohooing with the TV off. ARGHHH.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:51 AM
Looks like it's currently down to whether or not I have a TV in my apartment now. When my Sims woohoo with the TV on the wall the game crashes, when I turn off the TV the game crashes (although it didn't the first time I tried before restarting the game...) - when I remove the TV... no crashes so far.
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:58 AM
Sorry... I can't really help, but I have to point out how funny this one-sided conversation has been for me to read. Thank you for making my day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
Sorry... I can't really help, but I have to point out how funny this one-sided conversation has been for me to read. Thank you for making my day.

I'm glad my frustration can bring about a little positivity. I realized making the edits how absurd I sounded but I'm so tired and confused. Everything was going fine again now that the television is gone. My Sims woohooed and went to sleep. One woke early to cook breakfast and they sat down to some eggs and bacon. Then smack bang in the middle of their conversation the game crashed.

I'm not even sure what emotion I'm feeling at this point so...

Hopefully someone out there knows what's going on or knows how to diagnose the problem.
Deceased
#8 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:19 AM
Wow, that sounds incredibly frustrating. Do you get a lastException file generated prior to the crash? What usually causes crashes for me is when something that sims want to do autonomously is bugged, possibly due to a bad mod or other bad game data, and it usually generates 100's of MB of exceptions in the lastException file prior to completely killing the game.

If it's not a bad mod or downloaded object, possibly a repair game in Origin will fix the issue. I'm sure some people will tell you to clear the cache, but lot data isn't cached anymore in the game and the remaining caches all deal with thumbnails and stuff that the game downloads automatically (ads, basically, lol). Generally unless it's a thumbnail issue, clearing any caches won't do squat anymore but people think it fixes things because what actually fixed the problem was restarting - so probably a bunch of folks will swear that I'm wrong. Oh well, you can trust me or not, clearing a cache ain't gonna fix this issue!

Anyway.... if you do get a lastException, you can put a clip from it in here and I'll look at it. Possibly it might give a clue what's happening, although more often than not it's only the vaguest of clues.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:30 AM Last edited by MemoryOfAxel : 29th Jun 2015 at 6:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Wow, that sounds incredibly frustrating. Do you get a lastException file generated prior to the crash? What usually causes crashes for me is when something that sims want to do autonomously is bugged, possibly due to a bad mod or other bad game data, and it usually generates 100's of MB of exceptions in the lastException file prior to completely killing the game.

If it's not a bad mod or downloaded object, possibly a repair game in Origin will fix the issue. I'm sure some people will tell you to clear the cache, but lot data isn't cached anymore in the game and the remaining caches all deal with thumbnails and stuff that the game downloads automatically (ads, basically, lol). Generally unless it's a thumbnail issue, clearing any caches won't do squat anymore but people think it fixes things because what actually fixed the problem was restarting - so probably a bunch of folks will swear that I'm wrong. Oh well, you can trust me or not, clearing a cache ain't gonna fix this issue!

Anyway.... if you do get a lastException, you can put a clip from it in here and I'll look at it. Possibly it might give a clue what's happening, although more often than not it's only the vaguest of clues.

I'll trust your call on clearing the cache, thank you! I glanced through the lastexception file but nothing really stood out. In the meantime I'm going to try adding the television again and removing all my mods and CC now that I kind of know what the trigger is. I think it may be an issue with moodlets acquired via the TV, although I'm not sure why removing part of the wall "fixed" the issue or why it only seems to happen when the bed is in a certain spot in the room.

EDIT: I can confirm that the bug happens with all CC, mods and scripts removed, *and* on a fresh install of TS4 under the same conditions. (Enclosed room, TV playing on the wall, Sims woohoo on a brand new bed placed directly on the grid with nothing to block their paths)

EDIT 2: Possibly a broken trait? One of my Sims had the Impassive custom trait which might explain why the bug carried over to the "vanilla" game. After removing it neither Sim seemed to be affected by the tv. I'll update if I spot another crash. Still doesn't explain why the bug only triggered when the bed was in a certain place.

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>
<report><version>2</version><sessionid>cdfb30def79f27dc5590ccb7</sessionid><type>desync</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4.13.pc</sku><createtime>2015-06-29 05:42:42</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.7.65.1020-1.200.000.115.Release</buildsignature><categoryid>instance_manager.py:361</categoryid><desyncid>cdfb30def79f27dc5590ccb7</desyncid><systemconfig/><screenshot/><desyncdata> File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1678, in feed
xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError: mismatched tag: line 28, column 2

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Core\sims4\tuning\instance_manager.py", line 375, in _create_class_instance
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Core\sims4\tuning\serialization.py", line 588, in create_class_instance
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Core\sims4\tuning\serialization.py", line 793, in feed
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1242, in parse
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 665, in parse
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1680, in feed
File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Lib\xml\etree\ElementTree.py", line 1568, in _raiseerror
File "<string>", line None
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: mismatched tag: line 28, column 2
</desyncdata></report>
</root>
Deceased
#10 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MemoryOfAxel
I can confirm that the bug happens with all CC, mods and scripts removed, *and* on a fresh install of TS4 under the same conditions. (Enclosed room, TV playing on the wall, Sims woohoo on a brand new bed placed directly on the grid with nothing to block their paths)

I can't reproduce this bug unfortunately. Very odd that it happens on a fresh install.

The exception you posted is a bad XML mod, by the way. Unfortunately with type of error it doesn't really indicate what the bad mod is, just that some mod with XML in it is bad. You'd have to use the process of elimination to pinpoint which one is bad. That type of error typically will not cause a crash either, unless it's something that gets attached to a bunch of objects (causing that 100's of MB type of lastException file).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
I can't reproduce this bug unfortunately. Very odd that it happens on a fresh install.

The exception you posted is a bad XML mod, by the way. Unfortunately with type of error it doesn't really indicate what the bad mod is, just that some mod with XML in it is bad. You'd have to use the process of elimination to pinpoint which one is bad. That type of error typically will not cause a crash either, unless it's something that gets attached to a bunch of objects (causing that 100's of MB type of lastException file).

Is it possible that it's due to a custom trait mod? I vaguely outlined it in my edit after realizing one of my Sims had a custom trait. I'm not sure how custom traits work when the mod is removed after being applied to a Sim, but it could explain why it carried over to my CC-less fresh install using the same lot and Sims.
Deceased
#12 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MemoryOfAxel
Is it possible that it's due to a custom trait mod? I vaguely outlined it in my edit after realizing one of my Sims had a custom trait. I'm not sure how custom traits work when the mod is removed after being applied to a Sim, but it could explain why it carried over to my CC-less fresh install using the same lot and Sims.

I can't imagine a trait causing that, but I suppose anything is possible. However, when the mod is removed, the trait should disappear from that sim. Even if the game did keep a reference to it (which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do), the trait wouldn't do anything anymore as all the data about what the trait should do would be gone. What's strangest of all is that removing the TV seems to "fix" the problem?

I'd be willing to look at a save game to see if there's something in the save that would cause it to happen in my game. I think this is something you should probably report to EA though if it's happening on a clean install with the game folder cleaned out.

One thing you could try, and I'm not sure this would do any good, is to try cleaning out all mods and cc from the game folder (backup everything to another folder first) and put the save game(s) you want to keep back in. Then try loading up the game and do a Save As with a new name. Load THAT up then and see if it works properly. If that clears up whatever was corrupt in the save game then you could possibly try adding mods and cc back in.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Did you create a brand new "user" folder without adding anything from your old user folder to it such as mods, cc, or even savegame?

In some cases, simply removing mods is not enough. Some mods are kept in the cache while others are hardcoded to your savegame.

I kept the savegame as the issue was specific to one lot in my world. I think I have fixed the issue, although I'm still not entirely sure of the hows and whys of it.

I saved the game with both sims next to the bed in question. I had them woohoo, the game crashed. I removed all my CC, tried again under the same conditions and the game crashed.
I loaded the game with CC again, replaced the custom traits and had them woohoo, the game didn't crash. To double check I loaded the game again, removed the traits, saved, reloaded without CC, tried again and the game didn't crash.

Again, I'm not sure how but... all signs point towards it being some kind of conflict between the custom trait, the bed placement and the television. I've been troubleshooting Sims issues for over 6 years and this is the first one that's had me absolutely stumped. I can't understand why it carried over to the repaired game or why removing the candle, a certain part of the wall, the tv or moving the bed all seemed to temporarily fix the issue. I appreciate all the help and suggestions!