Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 2:56 PM
Custom eyes tutorial!
Hello everybody, I'm having issues trying to make custom eyes either with TSR Workshop and CTU...
With TSR Workshop, after choosing the feline mask, and after exporting the .dds file, and after opening it in Photoshop, I can only see the feline mask. Where am I supposed to paste or even draw the eye image? I'm pretty confused from this point on.

Thank you everybody for the help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 3:20 PM
What you need is the sim face templates to work from in Photoshop - the eye goes in the lower left hand corner on the template. See attached zip file which contains the templates for the male and female adult faces, which will show you where the eye texture goes.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3 face template.zip (477.9 KB, 289 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
What you need is the sim face templates to work from in Photoshop - the eye goes in the lower left hand corner on the template. See attached zip file which contains the templates for the male and female adult faces, which will show you where the eye texture goes.

So, I have to export the .dds of the costume from TSR Workshop, open it with Photoshop, paste an eye picture on its lower left hand corner and import it in TSR Workshop?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 8:03 PM
I don't use TSR Workshop, I use CAS Texture Unitool, so I'm not 100% sure about how you import stuff into TSRW but it's probably much the same principle (if not, hopefully someone who uses TSRW will come along to advise!):

You need to create a .dds with the eye in the corner and it has to have an all-black alpha except for the corner, which has to be white. See the attached pics, which are of my old Cat Eyes:

Your main channel will look something like this (heh, the image is all white except for the eye, so it's blending into this page - it's just a big blank white square with the eye in the corner):

And alpha channel will be this:

Hope that works for you! Feel free to download these pics and use as a template - they're the right size.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 12:57 PM
Yup, it works like EsmeraldaF said for TSRW. After exporting the DDS file, you import it into Textures/Face Overlay. Now all you still have to do is a Mask to make your contact lenses recolorable.

All the areas you don't want to make recolorable should become black. And the recolorable area (in our case the spot where the eye is) red, now the eye should be connected to the first color channel. Optionally, you can also color some spots in the eye mask green or blue, if you want the contact lenses to be multicolor.

The result should look like this:

Now export your DDS as Alpha Exponent (DXT5) or similar in Photoshop (I use Gimp) and import it into your TSRW project. Yay, your contact lenses should be finished now!

If you still have any questions, don't be shy to ask!
Screenshots

♥ Computer Science is NOT only for boys! <3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 3:28 PM
Sorry guys, but I still don't understand: how do I make this "alpha" like the pic? I know, I'm a bit dumb and I need a long explanation. Can you write down here a little tutorial to create these freaking eyes with the program you use (CAS Texture Unitool)?
Thank you very much, you're very kind and helpful. I hope I'll be able to help you back a day
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 4:49 PM
Attached is a copy of the actual .dds file for the cat eyes. Open it in Photoshop and you'll see the white page with the grey eye. Then look over to where your tool panel that depicts Layers, Channels and Paths is - I have an ancient version of Photoshop (6), so yours may vary as to where you find it on yours, but on mine, it's in the lower right corner as in the below screenshot.

Looking where the red arrow is on my screenshot, you see that, under the Channels tab, as well as having four channels called RGB, Red, Green, and Blue, you have a 5th one called Alpha1. You can see that Alpha1 is what we've been describing, a black page with a small white square in the bottom left corner. In Photoshop, if you click the Alpha1 channel, your picture will change from the white screen with the eye, to the black screen with the white square. This enables you to work on the alpha separately from the rest of the picture, even though they're both in the same file.

So, that's where you find your alpha.

Once you've edited the main channel (RGB) and the alpha to your requirements, you then save it as a dds file in 'DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha' format (when you save a dds file, Photoshop gives you a drop-down box to choose which format to save it in). You then import this file into CTU as your Base Texture.

Hope this will point you in the right direction!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cateyes texture.zip (6.0 KB, 54 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 6:26 PM
Thank you^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 10:51 PM
Thank you, EsmeraldaF, really, you're giving me a huge help I'm going to try this right now!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 11:48 PM
My first eyes project!
Finally, I did it! They're not well visible from the pic, but I'm satisfied, as my first job

I have to learn about the mask, because right now the colour can't be changed
Anyway thank you very much everybody for helping me!
See you soon
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 11:00 AM
Hooray, glad you got it to work!
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Jul 2023 at 5:14 PM
Hello, does anyone know how to do this but with dog eyes?