Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 9:52 PM
Default I'm doing a community survey again
For the last three years I've done an annual community survey they've gotten a whole bunch of responses each time. The results have been interesting so far, and I was asked to redo it for this year. So here we are......We'll be able to see what's happened in the last year, how attitudes and people's hardware have changed, and we can see if any of the games have gotten any more or less popular than they were.

I've posted this thread in the boards for TS2, TS3, and TS4 in an attempt to represent each game's following more fairly, and I've already ran it past a couple of popular Discord servers as well.

Let me know!
Link to the survey
Link to the results

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 11:23 PM
a tyrannosaurus you say?
(warning: oof)

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#5 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:53 AM
What operating system does your PC run? *

Windows [_]
Mac [_]

But.... I run linux..... TRIGGGEREDDDDD
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 4:00 AM Last edited by Kylaaab : 13th Oct 2018 at 4:12 AM.
I never thought a survey could be entertaining..

(I also never knew you could store RAM in a potato, but I guess you learn something new every day! )

I think I might've made my 'Any comments?' answer too crude... Ahahaha oops.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:37 PM
That survey makes me wish that the Sims 1 ran on newer systems. Oh well- here's praying that GOG games manages to get the license for the Sims like they did with Spore.
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
That survey makes me wish that the Sims 1 ran on newer systems. Oh well- here's praying that GOG games manages to get the license for the Sims like they did with Spore.

I think it does with a little bit of work. One programmer even managed to turn Sims 1 and Sims online into 3D. Onlyabidoang's Channel has the videos.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:58 PM
About mods/custom content, how much can be considered "a lot"? 🤔
Scholar
#10 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuddingFace
I think it does with a little bit of work. One programmer even managed to turn Sims 1 and Sims online into 3D. Onlyabidoang's Channel has the videos.

It crashes on 3d mode with or without cc and mods for me but it's a good start and work in progress.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 6:36 PM
That survey makes me wish that the Sims 1 ran on newer systems.

Doesn't it? Runs just fine on my end with no patches or anything. It's not a Windows 10 thing, I think it's just a different people with different PCs sort of thing.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 9:49 PM Last edited by igazor : 13th Oct 2018 at 10:01 PM.
A bit late now I guess, but maybe for next time a few comments on the survey itself.

-- OS X 10.11/El Capitan is not the most recent Mac operating system and hasn't been for a couple of years. There have been three newer ones released since then. Perhaps you meant to say "10.11/El Capitan or higher"?

-- How were we meant to answer the RAM question if we have exactly 4, 8, or 16 GB, which in fact the vast majority of players would have? In each case, two correct answers would have been possible.

-- I think we've had this discussion before, which confused at least half the members here, but how dare you discriminate against survey-takers who choose to use the three seashells?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 6:55 AM

I have Sims 1 installed on Windows 10. Here is a step by step tutorial with pics.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
-- OS X 10.11/El Capitan is not the most recent Mac operating system and hasn't been for a couple of years. There have been three newer ones released since then. Perhaps you meant to say "10.11/El Capitan or higher"?

I counter your point with a counterpoint - if you so correctly point out that I forgot to update the Mac system version from the last annual survey (it's also called macOS now, not OS X) why didn't you mention that I also forgot to update the TS4 expansion pack question? TS4 has 5 expansions (soon to be 6), not 4.

As for the other two, they're entirely valid points that I'm too tired to answer with any sort of proper rebuttal.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 7:06 PM
I have 8 ram so chose the potato option as could not pick just one of the other 2 that included 8. And that was more fun. LOL
Mad Poster
#16 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
why didn't you mention that I also forgot to update the TS4 expansion pack question? TS4 has 5 expansions (soon to be 6), not 4.

I didn't catch that because on any given average day I wouldn't know (or really care) how many EPs TS4 has had released without looking it up first. As for "macOS" that is correct, but there really isn't any ambiguity presented by continuing to call the desktop operating system "OS X" to differentiate it from an iOS.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 9:42 PM
I mean, clearly neither have been an issue for anyone who's partaken in the survey because people don't seem to have had any trouble answering truthfully. I will definitely have to fix the RAM thing next time though.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#18 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 7:40 AM
Sims 1 was absolute magic for me as a kid. I had no expansions because my little kiddy head couldn't comprehend what expansions were, but even the base game was so great for me... wait now that I think about it I had the vacation expansion pack... oops. Anyway I rated it 10, higher than s2 and s3, but I wouldn't go back and play it now XD. Oh yeah also had the ram problem.. I had 16, chose 8-16.

Oh.. I think I had pets too... omg. All this time I thought I only had the base game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 12:10 PM
Me neither haha, I had most of the packs for TS1 but for a while, I didn't know what stuff packs were so with TS2 I had a bit where I thought I'd gotten ripped off. This new pack doesn't even come with any new worlds!

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#20 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 2:47 PM
I was so confused by the toiletroll question this time. Last time I figured out, but this time I had no clue. What is the front of a toiletroll? The roll part or the paper handing down part. Anyway who cares, it's not important right

I'm so happy I could click the second top option on the cost of my rig this time, even though I probably paid more for my parts than others did, considering the cost of NOK these days. Perhaps next time I can click the highest
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika
Sims 1 was absolute magic for me as a kid. I had no expansions because my little kiddy head couldn't comprehend what expansions were, but even the base game was so great for me... wait now that I think about it I had the vacation expansion pack... oops. Anyway I rated it 10, higher than s2 and s3, but I wouldn't go back and play it now XD. Oh yeah also had the ram problem.. I had 16, chose 8-16.

Oh.. I think I had pets too... omg. All this time I thought I only had the base game.

I remember that I would use the rocket to catch them on fire.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Anyway who cares, it's not important right

I mean I'm still debating whether I should delete those who answered wrong.....by popular request, of course. But other than that

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I mean I'm still debating whether I should delete those who answered wrong.....by popular request, of course. But other than that

Must have been me who did that. Only I could answer a survey wrong. Kinda slow...

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It goes without saying, my parents' brilliant idea of paper training said little beast went over just as well.

Depending on how old I would have been at the time, let's say over 8 for a threshold, I might have begun finding a way to of course keep the dog but replace the parental units.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 1:31 AM
As we are off topic here, one of the funniest videos I ever saw was the one where the couple had a huge water bill and could not figure out why. They finally found out that the cat was flushing the toilet all day when they were gone. It was pretty darn funny to watch.

There was an Oprah years ago where the show was about how people do things. Such as how they put money in their wallets, the order they do things when dressing, and many others. The biggest debate was how the toilet paper should hang!
Page 1 of 2