Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 6:53 PM Last edited by thelevitatingscot : 15th Jan 2018 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Additional Info

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [UC] Origin starting but Sims 2 refusing to launch
OK, so I've had Ultimate Collection on my laptop for around a year, its worked fine (albeit with a few config edits and mods to get it up to scratch). This morning I decided to start the Sims for the first time in about a month, normally I bypass origin by using the shortcut in program files in windowed mode. However this time when I opened the shortcut Origin opened and started to update, irritated when it sat loading for over ten minutes I exited origin and tried again launching directly from the program files without the windowed command. Still origin opened and updated, so I let it update but when I tried to start the game from Origin the Origin window just briefly minimized and then pooped back up again. Checking in task manager the Sims 2 task never even begins. Thinking that Origin was the problem and fairly pissed off at EA I uninstalled Origin and tried again, this time I got a message saying that Origin was required for the Sims 2 to run and I had to reinstall it, unable to get around this I went back to EA with my tail between my legs and reinstalled Origin.
The same problem persisted, I've tried removing all CC (although I doubt that was the problem) and using different ...documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection files with different user files and reset all the config files (graphic settings) that I had modified to their originals. To no avail. When I tried again later Origin told me there was an update available for the Sims 2 and I did that but again the same problem persists. I now have run out of ideas, has anyone else had the same problem (Origin starting when it didn't used to), or have any suggestions on how to proceed.
Again doubt it will help but my system specs are:
Intel core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 2.40 GHz
8GB RAM with the program ran to make Sims 2 recognise more RAM (if you know what I mean. I can't find it)
64bit Windows 10 Pro (latest version)
Graphics chip is built into the processor and I am running the latest driver but there have been no updates for several months (at least since I last got the Sims running)
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 11:45 PM
See the article in my signature - it links to the discussion about your problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
See the article in my signature - it links to the discussion about your problem.

Thanks for replying so quickly, however I'm afraid the article you linked to did not answer the problem I have. I have already done all the things mentioned in your thread to get it running to begin with, I also tried doing them again to make sure and running as admin which I must confess I don't normally do. However this just opened origin as normal and the same problem continued. Thanks nonetheless for your help.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 3:31 PM
Have you done the normal steps like deleting the cache files? (I probably should have asked that first ).
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thelevitatingscot
Thanks for replying so quickly, however I'm afraid the article you linked to did not answer the problem I have. I have already done all the things mentioned in your thread to get it running to begin with, I also tried doing them again to make sure and running as admin which I must confess I don't normally do. However this just opened origin as normal and the same problem continued. Thanks nonetheless for your help.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

You may benefit by going to Leefish and checking out their thread The Sims 2 UC WON'T LAUNCH, especially if you have Updated with Origin.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 4:08 PM Last edited by thelevitatingscot : 15th Jan 2018 at 4:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
You may benefit by going to Leefish and checking out their thread The Sims 2 UC WON'T LAUNCH, especially if you have Updated with Origin.

Thanks, the combination of the no CD patch and deleting cache files (which I had tried before without the CD patch) worked, apparently it was aproblem with the update which changed the security removing some DRM messing it all up. Trust EA!.. Thanks to everyone who helped with this
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 4:16 PM
Which is exactly the same solution discussed in the thread I linked to