Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Packing Crates for TS4

by scumbumbo Posted 14th Jun 2015 at 9:16 AM - Updated 1st Mar 2019 at 2:54 AM by scumbumbo : Bug-fixes for Feb 21, 2019 Game Patch

315 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 222 Feedback Posts, 92 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 13
Deceased
Original Poster
#51 Old 18th Jun 2015 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egwarhammer
I thought he may have meant he was going to put the mod in, pack and move, unpack, then take the mod back out. (Did you mean could or could not, in your reply?)

You definitely CAN remove the script but leave the package. You won't be able to store and remove items, but they should stay safely packed away and the crates won't disappear. If you then put the script back in your game, you should be able to retrieve anything stored.

You can also remove the entire mod, of course, but as I stated the crates will disappear and I can only assume the contents will as well.

I'll probably work on the "on/off" switch this weekend. Shouldn't be difficult at all. Naming boxes perhaps more-so, but I don't think it will be a problem.

If anyone wants more colors see the instructions I mentioned above to Plasticbox. I'm not the best object model/recolorer, so I'll leave that to those with more graphics talent than myself
Deceased
Original Poster
#52 Old 18th Jun 2015 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Freakenstien
Great mod thanks for this! Was wondering if it would be possible to have a version for OR? Hate having to put that gear in my sims inventory or putting it around my lot. would be nice to be able to pack it all in a crate and forget it until you go camping. Thanks again for the great work.

I intentionally disabled use on rental lots as I found that while you could unpack items you owned (and pack them back up again) you couldn't move them around as it won't let you enter build/buy. Any of the items the game will normally let you move around should be able to go in a sim's inventory anyway. If there's a good reason to allow them to be used on rental lots that I'm not seeing I can easily enable that.
Deceased
Original Poster
#53 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 8:13 AM
The mod has been updated to add a hover tooltip with a customizeable crate name (see screenshot).

A bug fix which could cause a crash to the world select screen if the package file was absent or in a subfolder has been fixed. The crash will no longer occur, however for crates to work both the package and script must be in the same folder.

The proposed feature to enable/disable the "pack in crate" menu item on objects would require quite a bit of scripting that I feel is not worth the trouble. It would add complexity to the script that simply is not worth the overhead.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#54 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 9:24 PM
I'm looking through your code & it's really impressive.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 1:03 PM
Thanks a lot!

Russian translation.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  STBL_RUS.rar (779 Bytes, 12 downloads)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#56 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 1:52 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 21st Jun 2015 at 3:29 PM.
HI there,

I made the alternative object I mentioned above; attached below. I've referenced as much as I could from your object -- the strings as well -- and Maxis stuff (rig, rslt etc) so I hope it'll be minimum maintenance.

This is stackable and can also be used as an end table if one so desires.

There were some objects on the lot that I couldn't pack -- one gave me a "not properly owned" message (it's a household that I just moved into a half-built lot so I guess it's the same glitch as mentioned above) but curiously I couldn't pack any of the small deco items I tried, and those did not give me that notification. I haven't tried to fix it or anything since I only went in game to test the crate object; I'll let you know if I find that the issue persists. (If you want to check, try with the Mega Houseplant, the toothbrush or the Mega Fern, those did not work for me no matter where I had placed them).

This is made with blender/Milkshape/TSRW/s4pe if you want to put that in your credits.

ETA: I'm attaching a German translation as well (I've used a German Windows for long enough now that I feel competent to produce similarly convoluted directions =P). Off the top of my head I don't know which language code is Gernam so I stuck it into FF.

One question re. the correct translation of 0xA95607B0 "Unable to find good location for unpacked item, placed in household inventory.": Does this show when a *particular* item cannot be unpacked, so only that one will end up in the household inventory? Or should it be worded more generically (like when the message is only shown once, but may mean that one or more items have ended up in inventory)?

In Geman you don't really say "unpacked item" without an article, it should be either "an unpacked item" (resp. "one or more"/"this") or "some unpacked items". The wording I have now ("Ausgepackte Objekte ..") is really Microsoft style, so depending on context it should be changed to

"Einige ausgepackte Objekte .." (plural -- "some objects")
"Das ausgepackte Objekt .." (singlular, specifically THIS object)
"Ein ausgepacktes Objekt .." (singlular, any one object)

ETA 2: re. the object, since I uploaded the same crate as regular end table here, one could also use the "ref" version attached below -- that's a catalog object that references the model from my own upload (so it only contains the COBJ/OBJD with the different catalog location and functionality). That way people would have to go download that separately in order for it to work, but they wouldn't end up with two identical meshes that way .. and in case there's anything to fix in the actual mesh, you wouldn't need to deal with that.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  pbox_packingcrate.zip (6.7 KB, 18 downloads)
File Type: zip  packingcrate_stbl-german.zip (890 Bytes, 9 downloads)
File Type: zip  pbox_packingcrate_ref.zip (636 Bytes, 20 downloads)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
Original Poster
#57 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinathi
I'm looking through your code & it's really impressive.

Thanks, I actually added some useful comments in the code for a change! I should go through door locks and do the same one day
Deceased
Original Poster
#58 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
One question re. the correct translation of 0xA95607B0 "Unable to find good location for unpacked item, placed in household inventory.": Does this show when a *particular* item cannot be unpacked, so only that one will end up in the household inventory?

Correct, the script will trigger that message if the item being unpacked cannot be placed, typically a painting or other wall item, which it can't find a good space on the floor for. I edited the STBL to use your second option, "Das ausgepackte Objekt ..", from your description of the three I believe that's the correct one.

Thanks to @plasticbox and @KuriXarya for the translations! These are both included in the download now.

And I'll be adding the new crates plasticbox has created very shortly. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#59 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 5:50 PM
I know nothing of scripting and have read your post about the addition of an on/off option for the "pack in crate" menu being too cumbersome to be worth the time but how does that compare to, say, only having the option show if there is an actual packing crate object on the lot? Would that be just as cumbersome?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Deceased
Original Poster
#60 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 6:15 PM
I made the alternative object I mentioned above

After some consideration I decided to merge this object into the main package file for the mod, although it duplicates the mesh for your regular crates I felt it would reduce the chances for confusion/errors/cruft when someone removes the packing crate mod itself. Please let me know if I ever need to update the mesh!
Deceased
Original Poster
#61 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 6:23 PM Last edited by scumbumbo : 21st Jun 2015 at 8:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
I know nothing of scripting and have read your post about the addition of an on/off option for the "pack in crate" menu being too cumbersome to be worth the time but how does that compare to, say, only having the option show if there is an actual packing crate object on the lot? Would that be just as cumbersome?

Even more so (although perhaps not for the end user, lol)

The issue is that to turn off the menu choice once it's enabled, I either need
  • Some sort of test in the XML that can determine whether to show or not (and no such test is available in the game)
  • Or I have to go through the entire game tuning removing (or adding back) the menu AND also check every already placed object on the lot to do the same
It's not out of the question that something like this might be doable in the future, I do have some ideas on how to accomplish this in a method that's easier on the script engine - but it would require some thought and quite a bit of testing before it happens. Maybe I'll ask Deaderpool for his thoughts because he probably doesn't have enough to keep him busy with the command center

ETA - I found a method that works using an object_criteria test! And it would have been really easy if Plasticbox hadn't gone and made a second crate. As it is, I'm considering this experimental. See post further below...
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 8:40 PM
On the off-chance you didn't already think about this...

First thing that came to my mind when thinking about an on-off switch: a hidden trait that is added or removed from every sim in the household (or perhaps just the current sim) when the player turns packing on or off. Should be easy to code, and a test for the presence of traits already exists (as seen in the object_Materialistic_AdmirePossessions interaction).
Mad Poster
#63 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 11:27 PM
I'll give it a go and report back on my findings when I have some. :D

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#64 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
And it would have been really easy if Plasticbox hadn't gone and made a second crate.

What, now it's my fault?

I'll experiment with the experimental version next time I get to actually play the game .. let me know if I can somehow change the crate object on my side to make it simpler to use for you.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
Original Poster
#65 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 2:59 AM
What, now it's my fault?

I'll experiment with the experimental version next time I get to actually play the game .. let me know if I can somehow change the crate object on my side to make it simpler to use for you.

Not really anything you could do, if there was only one object I could have just used the object definition ID for the test instead of creating a tag. I'm still considering the method DarkWalker had suggested which would also take care of making the menu item dynamic. Might even work better, I still haven't decided.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 3:36 PM
Attached is a drop-in replacement for the mods package file that will enable the automatic switch on and off of the "Pack in Crate" menu. The menu choice will only appear on objects if a packing crate is on the lot. Once the crate is removed (placed in inventory or sold) the menu item will disappear.

This is considered *experimental* as it required adding a new build/buy tag to the game, which AFAIK has never been done. This required overriding the S4_03B33DDF_00000000_D89CB9186B79ACB7 tuning XML and it's associated DATA resource. In addition, I had to add the new build/buy tag 0x0000BC18 (48152) to the CatalogTagList in the COBJ for both the original and Plasticbox's new crate.

It works and everything seems to be working great in the game, but I want some folks to test it out that get to play more than I to ensure that compatibility is 100% before I go and make this the official download version. At some point in the future, I'd like to see if it would be easy enough to insert this new tag via a script so that things like this can be done with less chance of a mod conflict. This also has a greater chance of breaking a new game update IF they add any new build/buy tags to the game, so this will have to be one of my first checks every time a new game update comes out - that problem too would be solved by scripting the tag addition.

I don't want to scare anyone off with all of this, it should be safe to use just could cause weirdness after a game update (particularly a new EP) until the mod is updated or removed by the player. If anyone has any thoughts on this, or comments/problems/success after testing it, feel free to yell

ETA @DarkWalker - Yes, I had considered that as well. This seemed easier to use, but the method you've suggested would be less likely to cause conflicts and will be considered further. Anyone interested in this topic feel free to discuss.

Snagged this, installed... I haven't played yet, but I'll let you know what happens. Fascinating reading, the "ins and outs" stuff. You rock, as always.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 24th Jun 2015 at 6:45 AM
:lovestruc Epic! Thank you so much! Here is the Chinese translation.
Test Subject
#68 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 3:20 AM
Hey, this mod seems awesome! I would love to use it to transfer some portraits my painter sim made between households, however it doesn't seem to be working as intended. I've installed it properly (e.g. unzipping the package and not the scripts, making sure they're in the same folder, etc.), and both crates are in my game (e.g. I can buy and place them on the lot), but the "Pack in crate" option is not appearing on any of the objects on the lot. I'm 99.99% sure that none of my other mods conflict with it, and I'm on the latest patch, so I'm not really sure what to do. Any advice?
Deceased
Original Poster
#69 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Only_Zac
Hey, this mod seems awesome! I would love to use it to transfer some portraits my painter sim made between households, however it doesn't seem to be working as intended.

That's by design. Any items that can normally be placed in a sim's inventory (for example, crafted items, food, etc.) will not go into packing crates as you can already carry them normally.
Deceased
Original Poster
#70 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egureh
:lovestruc Epic! Thank you so much! Here is the Chinese translation.

Thanks for the translation, @egureh - I've updated the download to include it.
Test Subject
#71 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 6:29 AM
That's by design. Any items that can normally be placed in a sim's inventory (for example, crafted items, food, etc.) will not go into packing crates as you can already carry them normally.

Oh, that's disappointing, because your active Sim can't place paintings on another Sim's home lot, nor can a sim take a painting from another sim's home lot to display on their own lot. Anyways, that's beside the point. I was just saying that I would like to use it for paintings, but it's not working for anything, not just paintings. No matter what I click on, there is no "Pack in crate option." What is it intended to work with, furniture?
Deceased
Original Poster
#72 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 9:24 AM
No matter what I click on, there is no "Pack in crate option." What is it intended to work with, furniture?

Should work with furniture and most decorative items - nearly everything that isn't available to put in a sim's inventory. It sounds like you may have the script portion (the zip file with SCRIPT in the name) installed properly - that file needs to be intact (don't unzip the .py and .pyo files in it). Or, you don't have script mods enabled in your game options.

The attached screenshot shows the two files that must exist in the mods folder for the mod to work.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#73 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 10:41 AM Last edited by The_Only_Zac : 27th Jun 2015 at 11:04 AM.
Should work with furniture and most decorative items - nearly everything that isn't available to put in a sim's inventory. It sounds like you may have the script portion (the zip file with SCRIPT in the name) installed properly - that file needs to be intact (don't unzip the .py and .pyo files in it). Or, you don't have script mods enabled in your game options.

The attached screenshot shows the two files that must exist in the mods folder for the mod to work.

Something seems to be wrong with your screenshot (when I click on it, it just says "This content failed to load"), but I'm pretty sure I installed the mod correctly. Here is a screenshot of my Mods folder (your mod highlighted), along with the contents of the script zip which I did not upzip or modify in any way. Also, script mods are enabled in my game options.
Screenshots
Deceased
Original Poster
#74 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 5:06 PM
Something seems to be wrong with your screenshot (when I click on it, it just says "This content failed to load"), but I'm pretty sure I installed the mod correctly. Here is a screenshot of my Mods folder (your mod highlighted), along with the contents of the script zip which I did not upzip or modify in any way. Also, script mods are enabled in my game options.

The screenshot is fine, it looks like the site may be kind of buggy today after the upgrade. Your screenshots looked correct, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

I reread your original post, and just realized - are you trying to use the mod to take items from another lot? Because the menu item will only show up on a lot owned by the current household (their home lot, or an owned retail lot), at least currently.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#75 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 6:40 PM
You rock, scumbumbo!
Page 3 of 13