Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2024 at 10:16 PM
Default Your Go-to Steps When Installing TS2?
Sorry if this thread is mostly technical than gameplay-based, but I'm curious what preparations you guys do (especially those are stuck playing on newer software) after or even perhaps before installation of the game, just when you happen to need to reinstall it again? Like with all Sims games, I for random reasons, happen to take long breaks and reinstall the games after long breaks when I get nostalgic, as I played through the games. However, I tend to forget to get all the ins and outs when I notice my game is not in windowed mode, resolution is low, missing mods, crashes and etc as that knowledge out of memory fades away and so I realized it would be useful for me (and especially new players) to make myself a tips & advice note how to prepare your game to run flawlessy and setting it up so its safe and efficient to play it ,':D

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2024 at 10:28 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st May 2024 at 11:18 PM.
Considering I hardly ever reinstall (once on each computer I've owned since the first one, which did see some reinstalls due to "noob" reasons, plus some difficulties with the latest one which I just consider part of the "one" install with a few muckups), I don't really have much of a go-to.

- Install game
- Get it to run CC-free (the whole setup with 4GB, graphic settings, graphic card, windowed mode, etc.)
- When it runs fine, install base mods that may need tinkering (light/CEP/etc.), and get those to run properly
- Install regular CC, test it out. Adjust to any problems that crop up (GraphicRules issues - pink-flashing, etc.)
- Hopefully done...
- ... but if not - scream, panic, check all settings, and adjust until things are still not working. Potentially take a long panic break, play other games, get back to the game, and finally after a year or so find the solution (based on true story).
- Play game (but still "enjoy" the occasional weird issue)

I'm using the original UC (+George). Haven't dared testing what happens with the EA App yet (which also means my TS4 game is on hiatus).

I have some other backups just in case + my old CD game. Somehow this game WILL run, whether it wants to or I have to jump through hoops to force it to
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st May 2024 at 10:39 PM
The install I am on now is Mr DJ + Ikea, but I would probably use the github TS2-Starter-Pack download that I put on my daughters PC next time. Pretty sure it came with instructions in the download. I only install when I move to a new PC. Given it is a new pC normally on a new version of windows I really don't know what to expect as its sure to have it's own weirdness. I would have to read over the download again to know what it needs, but I assume the 4 gb patch and graphic rules setting.

If you newly install it wont be in Window mode, you have to set that. Right click the desktop shortcut, go Properties>Target: field. At the very end of the command put a space followed by -window (or -w).

You mods and CC should all be in your back up. Easy to forget any that you had in the installation files like stair scripts. So best to go through and back up and keep all of your backed up things safe, probably on a thumb drive.

I don't understand uninstalling myself as it's far too much trouble to set up to ever uninstall.
Just because you decide to stop using something doesn't mean you should uninstall it, just let it sit there unused. It will wait for you.
If its due to disk space I would rather buy a larger SSD.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st May 2024 at 10:47 PM
Mh, things I notice when I install TS2 UC (also Mr DJ, as the four disks are pain in the butt) is that if I forget to do a certain thing, I encouter crashes and poor neighborhood graphic look. Also, interestingly, I have to run as Administrator graphic rule maker (following half bit of this this tutorial and TS2 exe file for it to work fine without crashing.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2024 at 11:21 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st May 2024 at 11:33 PM.
Crashes and poor neighborhood graphic look after a new install is usually due to a poor setup (need to go through graphicRules, 4GB, etc.).

Most of the graphic issues during the install process and first runs of the game happen because
1: The game doesn't automatically recognize the graphic card/chip as one that can handle the highest settings - which most newer ones can, but they're too new for the game to auto-recognize - so it auto-sets the graphics to "low".
2: laptops have dual graphics, and the game picks the chip over the card (often combined with #1)
3: Not using the correct settings if using the GRM (the files can also be edited manually)
4: 4GB patch not properly applying.

Crashes after introducing CC can be CC-related, though.

That's why it's always important to make sure the core game is running smoothly before introducing CC. Otherwise it takes a while to figure out why things are crashing, or why an item is missing or looking weird (OMG!1!badinstall!!! *GASP!* --> No, just CC issues from dumping a probably poorly handled CC folder into your game).
Inventor
#6 Old 1st May 2024 at 11:45 PM
I've repacked the game into rar volumes, which are quick to extract in one opertion, and allow me to restore individual files if needed. I do this with most games I have. I also made an Inno package that extracts one of the exe files to selectively start OFB, Pets, Season, FT or Mansion. It doesn't include any mods except the assembly hack that stops portraits from regenerating in Mansion, and all international music unlocked. Reinstall is supposed to have more or less clean slate. Having a separate regsetup is more convenient than those repacks on txxxxt sites that put everything into a customized Inno vanity project, which is not so easy to browse. Switching versions or re-registering doesn't require copying gigs of data.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd May 2024 at 11:59 AM
Assuming we're talking a clean install:

1) Open Bottles[1] and select create a new bottle, with bottle type gaming.
2) Extract my TS2 archive to the bottles C:\Program Files
3) Edit Program Files (x86)/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/__Installer/touchup.bat to change the install path to reflect above and run the bat file.
4) Launch /drive_c/Program Files (x86)/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Fun with Pets/SP9/TSBin/Sims2EP9.exe

At this point the game is booted and working, so if I want a purely clean game I stop here. But if not, I'll add other things like RPC, T&A etc.

[1] https://usebottles.com/

Shabado... sha..ba..doo..badooo
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd May 2024 at 12:02 PM
When you mention bottle, at first I thought you mean literal beer bottle to crack open like just sit back and chug. That image came hilarious in my mind lol.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 2nd May 2024 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
When you mention bottle, at first I thought you mean literal beer bottle to crack open like just sit back and chug. That image came hilarious in my mind lol.

That's why I clarified it.

Shabado... sha..ba..doo..badooo
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2024 at 7:45 PM
I am going for real bottles (with wine in them) when I have to reinstall

On a serious note : I had to install on my new laptop after my old pc broke down. Since I use the EA app, I first downloaded from there.
Then graphic rules and 4gb patch.
Then download a new CEP and a new Scriptorum.
Then tell Windows 11 to use my Nvidea card for Sims 2.
Also, the empty standby list.
Then add back the downloads (which I did not lose due to the breakdown).
Then downloaded a bunch of stuff which I may never use
Then play
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd May 2024 at 7:49 PM
You're gonna need a real bottle if you have to reinstall all of the game, all it's EP's and SP's at one go.

It takes a while. You need to keep hydrated.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd May 2024 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Mh, things I notice when I install TS2 UC (also Mr DJ, as the four disks are pain in the butt) is that if I forget to do a certain thing, I encouter crashes and poor neighborhood graphic look. Also, interestingly, I have to run as Administrator graphic rule maker (following half bit of this this tutorial and TS2 exe file for it to work fine without crashing.

4 disks? Try 18. Mine are all the originals, each EP and SP separate. Back in 2010 I would run the disk, install and patch in order, would take all day.

I have not looked back since switching to a download. Poor graphic look would be due to needing the graphic rules set up and crashing would be due to needing the 4 gb patch and empty standby list not being done. There were many other things I did for pink flashing, but I don't have a hope of recalling what those were. It would be back watching videos and googling.

A bottle?? I'm an old lady I have no clue, none. Maybe a bottle of wine.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 4th May 2024 at 7:26 AM
I still own all my disks. It was a process that could take days - I was still working back then
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th May 2024 at 11:22 AM
I use discs too, I need them for the AnyGameStarter!

Similar to Justpetro's post, I use grumpy loader to install discs and patches and then make a backup of this install. (This is so that I can, if I need to, test things on a completely vanilla install. For example, I'll mod my graphics, various game parameters, add in fixes and CEPs, and lighting mods... so I can just swap in a clean version when I need to. Also, I share a hood with my daughter, so I play that game without lighting mods or enhanced lot imposters, just so that I can see how things I build will look on her computer).

Oh, I also have a backup of the sims 2 registry keys, this comes in handy should I want to do something like install the UC too. I did this before, by installing both disc and digital versions, and having a little powershell script that I made to swap the registry keys between one version and the other. Useful for modders as certain things work a little differently in the UC, but I don't have that setup installed at the moment because I haven'r needed it since my last hard disc replacement. I think that some modders here, such as HugeLunatic have something like that setup.