Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 10:54 PM
Default Say What? Deleting all mods?
does this mean that i have to delete all the mods, objects, hacks and other things i've downloaded?
Advertisement
#2 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 10:56 PM
You don't ha ve to delete it,but you should move your downloads folder to your desk top,just in case.
#3 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 10:57 PM
Not yet, wait till the pack comes out first - not till october
#4 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 10:59 PM
because old mods sometimes break when interacting with new EPs that seek to edit things they already edit. Could break your game badly.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 12:38 AM
Hacks and hacked objects = usually not compatible. You'll have to remove them and then go back to where you got them originally to see whether the creator has tested to see if they work, released an updated version, or what.

Body Shop content, object recolours, and non-hacked objects = usually compatible.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#6 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 2:06 AM
How do you figure which are hacks?
Scholar
#7 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 2:08 AM
Use the Sims2Clean pack Installer!!

http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 2:18 AM
Anything that shows up in the custom content warning screen with a (!) should be removed. Clean Installer can also scan and gets most (but certainly not ALL) hacks. Not sure if the Maxis's File Maid has hack scanning capabilities - I prefer user tools... but ultimately, it comes down to knowing what you've downloaded!

I can't stress enough how important it is to KNOW what you have and have some sort of logical organization system for yourself. It's not -quite- as important with things like hair, makeup, object recolours, etc., but seriously, ya gotta know what hacks you have. I subfolder most everything by creator... but NOT hacks. They all go in my "Hacks" subfolder (also where i put hacked objects). That way I know what I have, I keep it to a minimum or rename them so I know who made everything so I can track 'em down, and when I get a new EP, I can just move everything that I know isn't going to be compatible, have the rest of my content in without worrying, and then go track down the hack info at my leisure as I'm playing with the new EP.

This would be a good time to start sorting your content in preparation for the new expansion. Do a cleanup of stuff you'll never use, spend some time sorting things into subfolders (there's info on what you can subfolder with what EPs in MTS2's Game Help section), and most importantly, find, identify, and segregate all your hacks. You may not be able to subfolder/rename EVERY hack - I think InSIM or InTEEN have to be in the main Downloads folder, might have to keep the right filenames for the modules to link up in InSIM (not sure, I don't use them), perhaps some others (READ when you download!) but most everything else can be subfoldered okay, and will make installing a new EP a lot easier and smoother for you.

Take advantage of MTS2's Game Help FAQs, too. There's a lot of info on custom content there. Sit down and read some on the files - the Downloads subsection is really useful. There may be some cool things you can do or use that you don't even know about.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 6:39 AM
Probably InTEENimater will have some conflict. Other mods might work correctly. Probably after installing the EP and running it the first time you'll get some erros, but you just need to enable mods through the game menu and run the game again... If you start to get some "jumps" during interactions you should look into your downloads folder and remove those more likely to be conflicting, usually those that screws with defaults behaviors. Clothes and objects will probably work correctly.
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 7:19 AM
No, no, no, no.

Take out ALL hacks. Not just inTEEN, or inSIM, or the major hacks, but ALL hacks and hacked objects.

All Body Shop content should work fine, all regular objects and object recolours should work fine, walls and floors will definitely be okay, but anything hacklike needs to come out. You never know what kind of problems conflicts will cause, and it's MUCH better to start now, sorting through your content to identify all your hacks and hacked objects, put them together in one place (like a Hacks folder) so you can move them out entirely when you get the new EP and know you're safe.

You don't want to be sitting there having just installed, only to find there some incredibly awful glitch or error occurring that you then have to quit and start tracking down when you just want your pixel dolls to be adopting a puppy or a kitten.

#11 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 11:28 AM
I don't think so....hm maybe for new Pets, but I remembered that only thing you need to do is when game turns on, you need to go to the accept all downloaded objects, and nothing will happen, they work just fine....I remember it was that way for OFB
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 12:21 PM
My advice to anyone from a technical perspective would be as HP said- remove all hacks and hacked objects, and put them back once the creators have either said they are Pets compatible, or have updated them.
My advice from the perspective of a player would be the same- play without any hacks for a while, but also take out your other custom content. This is so that you can get a feel for the game as Maxis intended it, and also so that you use the Maxis items and actually play instead of spending hours choosing the right curtains for the pet's room. I'm always amazed at how many people out there have never played some EPs without hacks- even just to try it.
#13 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 12:02 AM
So are hacks just non maxis items?
#14 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 12:05 AM
no, hacks are stuff that alter gameplay

When the game loads, they are what have the yellow "!"

Right?
Instructor
#15 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Toffee9994
So are hacks just non maxis items?

Hacks are "unrecommened" by maxis, as they will actually alter the way the game was made. Hacks can dive deep inside the files of the game and mess them up, add files or delete them, to give you the result you wanted. Obviously Maxis didnt plan on having the game files played around with, so any hacks should be removed.

Question:

Does this also include camera mods? I have Gunmod's see all Camera mod, should I take that out first?

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
#16 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 12:07 PM
I use it too, and I'm definitely taking it out until I know it's not going to cause any problems.

Better safe than sorry!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 1:59 PM
All the things that alter files like the camera mod have to be set to original or the expansion won't install. Hopefully you have backups for them.

You should only do this if you need the hacks and you are willing to explode. (Good idea to have a backup of your neighbor hood, too.) If you are smart (-ter then me) then you will wait for the creators say on this. What I do with hacks is take them all out first (and my entire downloads). Play the game for a while sans hacks. You should only do this if you need the hacks and you are willing to explode. (Good idea to have a backup of your neighbor hood, too.) If you are good at these kind of things you can see what changes are made with the EP. If you see that nothing with say the instruments was altered you can put in say a no buster hack. Play and see if it looks like anything conflicts if not you can keep it in. Just because you can't see a conflict doesn't mean that its not though and down the road bad stuff can happen so it is a lot safer to wait for an update/thumbs up from the creator.

Another thing to consider is the scope of the hack.
Inteen and InSim are almost guaranteed to need a very big update, don't even try to use them until them.

Merola's stuff (mind control mirror and painting) are probably not going to need an update. I don't think they have been updated since the base game and work fine. So you can test those.

Squinge's stuff is probably not compatible because it isn't compatible with very many hacks so they probably alters a lot.

This is only if you want to risk it and you know what you are doing. You can always wait for modders to look at the hacks/hacked objects, too.
#18 Old 14th Aug 2006 at 7:17 AM
I'm thinking of going to go the 'uber safe route': Delete everything and start all over again. I have several GIG of Sims 2 downloads (been downloading since the ORIGINAL came out) so I really can't be bothered sifting through all of those files... I may just uninstall my whole game and start over again. o_o
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 3:28 AM
Another thing: changes that are done by replacing a game file by another of the same name (like new CAS screens), should be undone as well. Place back the original file, run the install... and LATER replace it again and test it if it works right.

And this last time looking back I'll see my home, for she awaits me reaching for my soul. She calls my name, and waves me on. The fallen one, she stands in flames
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 6:41 PM
I'm not worried about my downloads because

One It'll be a long time coming before I get Pets
Two My downloads are not in order and I am not going to sort them all out just for this EP at this early stage - I'll wait closer to when I get it. But I do understand the warnings though. InTeenimator doesn't even work even with the patches I have on Nightlife. LOL, But InSim does, but will be removing those too when I get Pets.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 10:49 PM
I will do what I always do. Save my families and downloads then move it. Then after I reload the new EP put things in little by little and remove things that don't work. No it won't break your game LOl that's just silly. It might make weird things happen or some things not work, but you can always remove it if it doesn't work. It honestly doesn't screw up much. Just save your families before you do it and don't install it until you move the downloads folder.
Test Subject
#22 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 5:19 PM
I just back up before I install and remove any hacks. I leave the rest of my downloads in, it's worked for me during the other expansions and nothings happened so far.
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 9:15 PM
I just keep all my hacks in a different folder than my bodyshop content/objects/etc... That way, I can just move the hacks folder without moving all 3000+ downloads. o__O;

Probably your best bet is to move all the hacks and wait about a week or two before putting them back. After around 2 weeks, look at the pages for those hacks and see if they've been updated. That's what I do anyway and it's saved me from game-explosion.
#24 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 1:23 AM
You don't even need to move the downloads folder, just install the game, go into the game,and you will see that all harmful downloads (hacks) are disable until you enabled them and restart the game.
Although you MUST change back any files you may have changed that are not in the My Documents folder but are in the main game directory (most probably C:Program Files/EA Games). Some of these files are overwritten anyway, but some aren't!
Also, like everyone else has said try and organise downloads into folders like Hacks, Objects, Hacked Objects, etc. thus when you install the next expansion the job is alot easier.
Scholar
#25 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 12:35 AM
i usually just move out my downloads mostly just to make sure i dont lose them (always parinoid that the installation will overwrite the downloads folder) and just so for the first time i can exeperience the game with out any downloads....and for me i dont have any particular attachments ot my sims so if it happens to overwrite or remove my neighborhoods i dont much care
Page 1 of 2