Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdamMLover
and you guys who are saying they look life-less, you do notice that in most pictures showing faces they aren't doing any actions. The ones that are full body the bodies look amazing.

I like them.

That's the reasoning I have, sort of, too. They look weird and sort of dead because we can't see them in action. if we get to see them interacting with other Sims, smiling, frowning, running around, laughing, crying, then i think they will look about 100% better.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 25th Mar 2008 at 10:18 PM
Definitely! We need videos! Once we see videos, we can make better judgment!
Instructor
#28 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 12:28 AM
I agree - we need to see them animated to make a final judgment.

I suspect what with all the personality traits they'll have loads of different facial expressions to match.
#29 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=Lomelindi]Oh I wouldn't make a final judgment on it so soon, I'm just saying that what I have seen so far I am unsure about it. QUOTE]
sry i hope i didnt sound mean in that. i see what you mean but im getting sick and tried of other ppl dissing the game already.
#30 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Definitely! We need videos! Once we see videos, we can make better judgment!

i agree we need the videos
Mad Poster
#31 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:16 AM
And not just videos of the actual gameplay, but I want a video dedicated to the new facial expressions. That would be neat!
#32 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:37 AM
I don't care about how EAxis's sims look in the previews, it's up to us creators to make the Sims look interesting and unique, right? I only care about the facial customization. Hopefully they can make EVERYTHING customizable. I hated how in TS2 they didn't have a 'face width' slider (they had face pudginess and roundness, but not width! Grr!) and many other features they should have had, such as freckles, birthmarks, and scars.
I mean, just look at this link. Can't TS3 be similar?
http://www.facegen.com/modeller.htm
Mad Poster
#33 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:49 AM
OMG! That is amazing! Those are real faces! But can you imagine how much lag the game would be for it being so open-ended?
Instructor
#34 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:50 AM
That is pretty darn cool! and I agree with this the game probably would lag a bit!!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:54 AM
Darn it, I now want this in the game! It's so real! And I can only imagine that since we get to have the Maxoids' real names in our game for the townies, imagine their real faces... LMAO! I can just picture a Bim face, lol!

EDIT: Maybe for the Sims 4 or 5.
#36 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:57 AM
I love them. I take them on as a different style than TS2, so I don't have to compare as roughly. If I ever want a different style of gameplay, graphics included, I will play TS2 again. It's a wonderful option.

I just wish people would stop mentioning the Uncanny Valley. It is not taken as a scientific fact. Not to mention the whole thing makes little sense to me for various reasons (I comprehend, I just have too many doubts in my head for his theory to make sense) - not to mention (and not to be rude) I just think it's stupid, for lack of a better word.

I also wish people would remember that the graphics, and the game itself, is not 100% DONE. Things WILL change within the time before release, wether that be a year or a bit longer for a push back. The same thing happened with the TS2 graphics when we got our first preview. Even the control panel changed a bunch of times.

I do not think all the faces look the same through nationalities/races, though. On the French website ( I believe it's French?), that SnootySims linked to a while ago because of their article, you can go to their Screen Shots section and scroll through the pictures in a way that kind of makes them fade from shot-to-shot. This helps see differences in the faces. Chins, noses, cheeks, eyes. I recommend people take a look at it. (L'universims article on SnootySims, It's still on the front page. Screenshot page link at the bottom of the article.) Facial upclose pictures start at number 12 and go to 17.

Then again. Maybe it's just me that think those pictures make a difference.
#37 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 2:58 AM
Sims 4, and Sims 5? Dang, by that time I don't even know if I'll like Sims anymore
Mad Poster
#38 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 3:29 AM
I have never complained about The Sims 3 Sims because I like them the way they are and I know they will change a year from now.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 7:26 AM
It's how the face looks; the simple, naive, doll-like style, that's putting me off. That has nothing to do with facial animations, that's the template. How can facial animations give this bland, cartoony face character?

It looks like a character out of a cute children's game, (-and one with so-so graphics I might add) and nothing an adult would play imo. That's what's bothering me. I'm an adult, I don't want a 'cute' game, simple as that
To the one who said that it's probably easier to make good trees and objects than characters; yes, it probably is. But these guys are professionals. Why is it that a bunch of amature fans can make so much better skins than them then? It's as if they don't even bother if you ask me, because they know that the community will do it anyways, and that's ticking me off. Having custom made skins in your game should be a choice, -not a necessity. Something you download just to have a little more variety. So never mind that the creators of cc will make some good skins for us in a while, that's not the point here. The sims should be playable out of the box.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wycked
Why is it that a bunch of amature fans can make so much better skins than them then? It's as if they don't even bother if you ask me, because they know that the community will do it anyways, and that's ticking me off.

You make a good point there. EA really shouldn't rely on the community to make custom skins. If many people out there think the sims look to bland, they might not buy the game, and therefore less custom skins will be made, making even more people go off the game.

However, we won't know for sure what they're gunna look like till the game is pretty much finished and heading for the shelves. It's likely that they'll tweak everything we've already seen.
Instructor
#41 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nayoko-Kihara
Not to mention the whole thing makes little sense to me for various reasons (I comprehend, I just have too many doubts in my head for his theory to make sense) - not to mention (and not to be rude) I just think it's stupid, for lack of a better word.

Wow, what a brilliant, incisive argument. "Various reasons"? I totally know what you mean!

Why is it that a bunch of amature fans can make so much better skins than them then?

"Better" is subjective. There are people who like non-realistic better.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#42 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 6:30 PM
I think what players (at least, the majority of them here who use custom skins, eyes, etc.) and what EA think of the game's appearance tend to be two very different things.

If you look back at the early preview pictures for TS2, there were several images of sim bodies with much more realistic skins than the game shipped with. They weren't hyper-realistic and shiny but actually reminded me a little bit of what I did with my skins. Detailed, realistic, but not photorealistic. Same with some of the old preview pics of hairs - they were bright and sparkly, similar to Nouk's hair textures, not very much like the rather flat textures that the game shipped with.

It's clear that a conscious decision was made with the design team to cartoonify the game. While I think part of this may have been to lower the standard for the textures and meshes they had to create across the board, I think it also may have been simply because their image of what the game is differs a bit from what we see it as.

The game -is- very cartoony just in play style - from the way sims spin to change clothes to the goofy facial expressions to the way babies are born... And I think some of the style of the sims is meant to reflect this. They're not meant to be perfect replicas of people, but stylistically sim-ish.

I do agree that game designers would do well to create very nice, realistic characters out of the box... Oblivion's characters look terrible until you get mods to make them look halfway decent (and even then they're not great). I didn't notice NWN2 being that bad, though the hair it comes with is utterly abysmal... Morrowind's characters (not just the PC faces but the NPCs) are hideous... but it is very much a matter of taste too.

If you look through the picture threads you'll notice a lot of people are returning to a much more sim-like appearance... Hyper-realistic skins are losing their luster, and people are using Maxis skins with Louis blushes a lot. There's some people who never bother with custom content at all and actually prefer the look of Maxis skins (Fanseelamb is one of these).

I actually don't mind the look of the new sims much. They're a little bit flat but as long as we have some nice sliders to play with and the ability to make new textures ourselves we'll be able to customize them as we see fit.

Also bear in mind that there's still plenty of time for them to evolve before release - so what we're seeing now may not necessarily be the release versions.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 26th Mar 2008 at 7:02 PM
I like the new sims. I'm confident we will be able to make them look wonderful.

As far as I'm concerned, the sims maxis give us are just a blank canvas to be painted up and it's no different with the sims 3, except now we have a better quality canvas (increased polygon count, FTW!).
Mad Poster
#44 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:10 AM
HP, you make so much sense and I actually agree. But I actually do like the new look of these Sims. But as Wycked had stated, he/she is an adult and want more realism. I'm the same way but at the same time it won't bother me if the game remains cartoony. I'm in the in-between area at this time. I will always prefer the utmost realism but I have a feeling that Sims 3 could mark a change and be the first most realistic version, as far as gameplay, anyway.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:30 AM
I like the skintones because it looks 'normal' but the picture wycked posted, hmm shes got green hair or is it suppose to be blonde.

I don't like the eyes, they look like CC, too watery and shiny for me.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:34 AM
They are extremely bland looking, they look like dolls! They have no personality/character whatsoever. There's no realism here, -in some ways even the cartoony sims in sims 2 look better imo, because, butt-ugly as they are, at least they show character and characteristics, -they don't all look the same.
There's something very naive about the new sims looks that makes me think of a children's game, you know what I mean?

I agree. They look like dolls and they all look the same. Of course they only show those "pretty" ones in their website but I want to see some personality and be sure that I could create something unique.
Especially the eye area bothers me. They all have similar eyebrows and they are shaped in a same way. I was always disappointed how little I could actually do with their eyes and brows in TS2 because this area is the most important when wanting to show their personality.
I can't really explain it but there's something that really bothers me with their new look. They are not awful but there's something there that sort of makes them a little "creepy". They look... dead. I would really like to see some pics where they do some expressions and try to bring out their personality.
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 11:15 AM
Looking at the picture above, I think they improved with the eyes. They look better than the defaults in TS2. The hair is a little iffy. The face--well, it looks a little different from TS2. Granted, it's real. It's the skintone that turns me off. It looks...just bland.
But that's just me. And there's plenty of time to improve. A year, to be exact. By that time, they would've improved on TS3--who knows what they may look like?
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:33 PM
I think they are ok, but there not my cup of tea. Before you know it, those wonderful and talented modders out there will be making new skin tones, hair and eyes for them .
Scholar
#49 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:13 PM
I just took another look at these pictures and noticed a few things:
http://thesims3.ea.com/cas.php

The noses are much improved over TS2. If you look at the detail on the nostrils on how they're positioned in relation to the tip of the nose, it seems like there's a greater ability to make a variety of nose shapes.

Also, the face structures for wide, round faces look like they've been made smoother. In TS2, it's difficult to create someone with a round face without making them look completely chipmunk-cheeked. The black girl, particularly, has much wider cheekbones compared to the others, and they look pretty nice.

The lip diversity doesn't impress me.

The eyes have a little more freedom too. In TS2, it's difficult to make eyes like the ones on the Asian sims. The slider that you'd use for that can often make their eyes look very droopy around the corners. It looks like there's more flexibility in the bottom curve of the eyes. Compare the bottom eye line of the red-headed white girl with the Asian with the black. Big differences.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 8:59 PM
I'd really love to see CAS close ups for male sims because I'd be really upset if the male sims looked like the female sims. The females seem to have very similar facial qualities: smooth, round faces, curved brows, and similar foreheads. I'm really every disappointed with the eye/eyebrow area. The eyebrows look to be the same shape and there seems to be very little eye depth. I see almost no eyelid, which makes the sims look completely cartoony. And those ears...don't even get me started! What is that?!

Granted, the sims they put on the website are very pretty by one standard. We all know how much Maxis loves their fugly face templates. I'd love to see some of the others. The noses look really good! I hope there's more diversity for the mouth and cheek area. I like that in TS2 we're able to make sims with chiseled features.
Page 2 of 27