Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chessa
I'd really love to see CAS close ups for male sims because I'd be really upset if the male sims looked like the female sims. The females seem to have very similar facial qualities: smooth, round faces, curved brows, and similar foreheads. I'm really every disappointed with the eye/eyebrow area. The eyebrows look to be the same shape and there seems to be very little eye depth. I see almost no eyelid, which makes the sims look completely cartoony. And those ears...don't even get me started! What is that?!

Granted, the sims they put on the website are very pretty by one standard. We all know how much Maxis loves their fugly face templates. I'd love to see some of the others. The noses look really good! I hope there's more diversity for the mouth and cheek area. I like that in TS2 we're able to make sims with chiseled features.

I agree on the eyebrows part. They all look practically the same across the different races. But I think there are some very distinct differences in the overall face shape of the sims they showed.

I also have to say a big "NO" to eyelids unless we are given several different styles of eyelids for our sims. I remember getting so frustrated with all the CC eyeshadow for TS2 because it almost ALWAYS shaded in a crease. Where's the love for the Asian monolid?
Advertisement
#52 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 9:59 PM
I'm not impressed so far with the faces. The bodies look great when they're in animation, but the faces I don't like. Too clay-like, it looks way too smooth.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 12:55 AM
I think the reason why they look similar to each other is because EA is just showing us a couple of face templates... if that. They want us to focus more on the new gameplay. We just need more of a variety in screen shots and videos to be reassured.
#54 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 4:46 PM
I don't like their faces. They all look too similar to each other. They are too round and smooth looking. Too porcelain dollish. The faces should be more defined with more contour. Also the eyes are set into the face to deep in all them. Looks odd.

I will very quickly get bored looking at them. If they stay this way, I will stick to Sims2.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 9:25 PM
Wow, it's amazing how their looks are really causing people to not want to buy the game. I understand because you want them to look better, but so far the extreme change of gameplay is still enough for me to buy the game knowing that CC will be just around the corner.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 1:06 AM
I'm also under the spell of the new gameplay. I think the point of the closeups is to show how simply we can make sims look like different ethnicities. Its pretty obvious they wouldn't "downgrade" the CAS
#57 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 1:46 AM
I like the way they look. They're a nice improvement to TS2. (I don't use CC, btw.) I'm mostly hooked by the new gameplay too. I'll be glad when we can see some more so hopefully people will come around to the new look. (Or maybe they should take out their downloads folder and see what the Sims really look like! )
Instructor
#58 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 1:49 AM
I actually don't like the new skin it looks like rubber to me, but then I thought about how beautiful and realistic the skintones are going to be when the meshers and recolours get a hold to them and gloss them up and make them look more realistic. The edited skins will probably look like this:

Instructor
#59 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 5:22 PM
I'm not too happy about how they look so far, but my main concern isn't the eyes, skin or face shape, but the hair!
I rather have the cartoony hair from Sims 2 than the ones I've seen in the pictures. The only hair that look decent enough is the hair on the black girl. The rest of them have really bad quality in my opinion. I mean, you can always get default eyes and skin but you are kinda stuck with the hair.
Hopefully they'll spend some time to improve their looks before they release the game. Other than that I really like the new concept of gameplay. Hope they don't have too many "rabbit holes" though.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 5:45 PM
I too am really bothered by the faces they'e shown us. I don't really see much difference in any of the samples - the skin is too smooth, the eyes all similar shaped and unnatural looking, the lips all the same weird shape. To me the "look" of a sim is one of the major factors of the game. I sure hope there is more variety available in CAS.

PS - if they end up looking like your sim, msp Teen, I'll be more than happy. She's beautiful!!
Field Researcher
#61 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 6:35 PM
The game is only 60% complete. This is something to keep in mind.
Scholar
#62 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 9:20 PM
I'm not a game creator but by calculation / logical... 40 % to do now. The big "traits" of the game must be here and refined. What remain ? This polishing, other details ? It's seem that Maxis not aim a big quality (not "high end graphics" at least) but I'm pretty sure that the Sims aspect is not completely done (eyes, hairs, skin...) and that we can wait new pictures with changes.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 7:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by msp_teen
I actually don't like the new skin it looks like rubber to me, but then I thought about how beautiful and realistic the skintones are going to be when the meshers and recolours get a hold to them and gloss them up and make them look more realistic. The edited skins will probably look like this:

If all sims in TS3 look like that, I will DIE. OF. HAPPINESS.

There's still time to polish up TS3. Like spatulageekgirl said, the game is 60% complete. The skintones in the final product might look like a CC skintone. I do just hope they stick with the skintones that they presented us.
Test Subject
#64 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 7:12 PM
Default What do people think of the new look
The thing to keep in mind when reviewing the so called 'new look' of the Sims3 sim, is that they are the expression of one persons creativity.

They could hardly go to such great lengths touting the new adaptability and not employ sliders for facial width.

Your sims will look as different from them, as mine do from yours.

I am encouraged by the new ability to do fine gradiations of fleshtones. As well as the size and muscalature sliders. My only caveate, is that I hope they allow us a bit of leeway with height adjustments.

But for the most part these things bode well for the further customizations that are sure to follow on sites like these. We might have to wait a while. But I think that premium custom content will most likely be catapulted into the next level. Maybe not quite as dramatically as when we went from Sims to Sims2. But certainly by some appreciable order of magnitude. And I for one, can hardly wait!

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside, I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep
Test Subject
#65 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:24 AM
The Sims in Sims3 are the "first look" and the first sims in the Sims2 screens look a little different from the sims in the new SP lol. they are still working on it... 1 year to go.

^_Q
Mad Poster
#66 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 7:07 AM
Besides, everyone, it has been stated that EA wants the game to run smoothly on older computers. Isn't that more important than high-end quality ultra-real Sims that will make the game require high-end computers that most people cannot afford? I think it is. That is actually generous of EA to want to be friendly to our computers.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 7:23 AM
Seriously. More realistic-looking Sims than the ones in the pictures available to us now would take more powerful computer hardware to generate than most people have or can afford to buy. There has to be a compromise between realism and smooth gameplay to be fair to the people who love Sims but can't afford to buy new computers or upgrade their old ones. We can't have everything.

I believe that the Sims in Sims 3, while they do look somewhat like clay models, are already a significant improvement on the Sims in Sims 2. Their joints seem to animate much better, and their looks are much more organic. What's more important than their appearances is the addition of more realistic handling of personalities and relationships.

It's funny how some people seem to be trying to convince themselves more than anything that the Sims 3 isn't worth buying by picking out all the possible drawbacks in the pictures. Why can't people look at the positives more?

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:03 AM
You must remember the pictures do not show the gameplay.

If the gameplay is much better and more entertaining then i'm buying it, the graphics don't interest me much.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Besides, everyone, it has been stated that EA wants the game to run smoothly on older computers. Isn't that more important than high-end quality ultra-real Sims that will make the game require high-end computers that most people cannot afford?

It definitely is. If I ever buy this game, it's NOT because of the looks. It's because gameplay. I can always download CC if I don't like the way they look and I honestly really don't like it (clay dolls with dull features) but that would not stop me for buying it.
If the gameplay is great, the game runs smoothly (I hate how laggy Sims 2 is even thought it doesn't even look that great) and it finally gives me those possibilities I have always wanted then I'll get it. I don't care about their looks. The Sims games are that kind of games you play for hours. Not some very short sessions so it's more important for me that it's actually playable.
#70 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:37 PM
Yes.. I hope Sims 3 doesn't make me re render everything every three minutes.. It's not even the graphics card, it just doesn't work well with 2 Pentium 3's in the machine. *sigh* Hopefully TS3 will recognize dual processors..

I might need to upgrade my RAM too but, my old RAM sticks are hard to find.

The most important aspect of a game is gameplay.

If you want ultra real looking sims, get a model renderer of some kind.
#71 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:59 PM
OH MEH GOD, msp_teen! That sim model is absolutely GOR-geous! I want sims like THAT.

I hope we can get those kinds of sims with CC.
Instructor
#72 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Allison
OH MEH GOD, msp_teen! That sim model is absolutely GOR-geous! I want sims like THAT.

I hope we can get those kinds of sims with CC.

Yeah thats what I am thinking, the sims 3 is going to be GREAT with CC (custom content) , imagine what sims are going to look like with CC, I swear I think they are going to look like the character I posted above!! with CC of course!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:54 PM
I honestly agree they don't look that god but they are just basic models using the new sliders and skin plus the new body styles (Which I love) they will look tons better.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 6:17 PM
To those of you who think they all look the same as each other:

Quote:
Y!: Tell us about the changes you've made to the create-a-Sim feature

BB: There are two features that go hand in hand. We're completely redesigning the create-a-Sim process, so now it's possible to make a Sim who looks like anybody you can imagine. They look dramatically different from each other.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature...roducer/1198553

If this is true, which I don't see why it wouldn't be, then no more worries. It's just like others have mentioned, they are only showing us limited looks for now.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 8:58 PM
I agree thye are just basic models to showw different skin tones adn eye color I look forward to creating sim super models. it also looks like the legs are much better shaped and proportioned(At least to me) I am definitely looking forward to working with the create a sim and new cc skin tones but honestly the new skins are better than the old ones.
Page 3 of 27