Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 3:11 PM
Default Artificial Beauty - Final Scores In!

Do you think you have what it takes to try something... different? We're not looking for models, we're not looking for the next Miss Something. We're looking for the perfect doll. In the shape of a Sim.

They're just dolls, they're not real and they don't have a will of their own. They only have what you assign to them. They can only be what you want them to be. So make them and use your imagination to its fullest.

From barbies to Asian ball jointed dolls, all are welcome. Even Blythes if you think that you can make one.

If you think that you have the sim for this or can make the sim for this, show your skills and compete!

1. NO sim-stealing or using downloaded sims.
2. One entry per contestant, no more.
3. Both male and female sims are allowed.
4. All bodyshapes allowed.
5. Only sims in the adult age.
6. The skin of your sim must match the dollkind you wish to portray (there are very good skins with ball-joints available, for example).
7. You are allowed to edit your images in any possible way as long as you don't simmerize.
7. Follow the S2C rules.

If you're interested in judging, please send a PM my way.

Judges
1. Annelea
2. avexkoo
3. anonymous
4. ...

Emergency Judges
1. Zaggytiddies
2. fway
3. ...

Shaelin by Zaggytiddies

Rain by Engram

Shine by Engram

Doll's name:
Type of doll: (For example: Barbie, Rainy Doll, Dollfie, Blythe)

Please include the following pictures:
-One headshot on a plain, monochromatic background.
-One full body shot on a plain, monochromatic background.
-One free shot to show of your creativity.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 10:50 PM
Contest Approved
Begins 11.8.07
Ends 12.8.07
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 12:49 PM
Greetings and salutations! This is your host checking in and putting the contest open to applications.

To the contestants
In this contests you will judged on three things: originality, over all presentation and compliance to the assignments. Photoshopping skills are not a must but they earn you a point or two in the overall presentation.

Everyone who applies and keeps to the rules stated in the starting post will go to round one and from then on there will be eliminations. The number of eliminations will depend on the number of contestants.

The length of each round will be five days and please put the name of your doll in the reply's title.

To potential judges
Please send me a PM and I will send you the details about what come with judging.

And to everyone: have fun and good luck!

Application Round
Round 1: Pre and Post.
Round 2: Cosplay - Out of this World.
Round 3: Glamour - It's not a job, it's a calling.

GLAMOUR
The spotlight is on you, or rather your doll. Jewels and extravaganza galore. Does your doll have what it takes to pull something truly glamorous? Evening wear for all and the setting is your choice, whether it be a party or a red carpet event. There may be other dolls, but like always the spotlight has to be on your entry here.

IT'S NOT A JOB, IT'S A CALLING
I'm deviding you in three groups, each of these groups gets a profession they have to portray with their doll as good as they can.

TRIriana and fransica, your profession is a doctor. Any kind of doctor, from surgeon to GP.
Corvidophile and Connectzeedots, your profession is in the military. Drill instructor to drillee and anything in between.
emszii and malaygirl, finally, your profession lays in law enforcement. Cops and robbers, only you are the cops.

Round 4: Rebel - The Grotesque

Corvidophile2 - Pupa (Male BJD): Application - R1 - R2 - Dropped Out
Daltonisme - Miu (Female BJD): Application - R1 - Dropped Out
Bexstar - Meko (Female Porcelain): Application - R1 - R2 - Eliminated
contessa - Rhiya (Female BJD): Application - R1 - Dropped Out
tyana - Jasper of Love (Male Dollfie): Application - R1 - Dropped Out
Idixa - Nora (Female BJD): Application - Dropped out due to computer issues
Connectzeedots - Prudence (Female BJD): Application - R1 - R2 - Dropped Out
fransica - Luxii (Male Porcelain): Application - R1 - R2 - R3
foreignflowers - Keira (Female BJD): Application - Eliminated in Round 1 due to no entries.
malaygirl - Nana (Female BJD): Application - R1 - R2 - R3
TRIrania - Amberlee (Female Porcelain): Application - R1 - R2
- Dropped Out Due To Computer Issues
emszii - Limine (Female BJD): Application - R1 - R2 - R3

Corvidophile2 - Pupa: 71/90
"The post-shot should look better than the pre-shot, however the pre-shot stands out more. Needs to work on originality as well as presentation, the lack of background theme in post-shot was a missed opportunity."
"I love the creativity of the first shot, the setup, the lighting, all of it. The second picture I'm not sure of. Overall great entry."
"I'm really happy with your Round 1, but Pupa doesn't really look customised. Overall, you did well! Task 1 you were very creative, but Task 2, you fell flat. Still, I think you did okay so I'm giving you 27/30."

Daltonisme - Miu: 32/90
"No post-shot? Can't score an incomplete work."
"I like the first picture, but it doesnt seem very creative. You didnt finish your entry "
"You didn't do your Task 2, but I was really happy with your Task 1! You could have done much better had you even submitted a Task 2. Miu looks broken, stripped of ALL custom content, exactly what Wabbits asked you to do."

Bexstar - Meko: 66/90
"Nice use of b/w in pre-shot and full color in post-shot to magnify comparison as well as different style. Presentation needs some work, the doll in post-shot seems trapped due to lack of space above her head and her feet is partially cropped out of pic frame."
"I can't really see much of your doll in the first picture, the focus seems to be more on the background than on her. The second one looks like you were making her Godzilla? lol She looks cute but I'm not sure I like the setup of the pictures."
"You did okay...but it seemed kind of boring. I was very disappointed...you had more potential than this, overall. She looked cold in Task 1. That's all. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that was it."

contessa - Rhiya: 71/90
"Usually a common theme for a comparison project isn't a good thing, but the winter theme works fine here, however the post-shot pose is not very creative. And linking to small pics hurt presentation as well as compliance, just post them if it's not over the 650x550 limit."
"I wasnt sure i liked the first picture, but I definitely love the second one. The colors, the setup, the lighting, the expression on her face, all of it. Good job."
"I loved your Task 1! It has asymmetry and it looked like she was lay flat to be ready to do a custom face-up or something. I was impressed by Task 2, it was done all in-game! She looked like a definite improvement from the Task 1."

tyana - Jasper of Love: 67/30
"Lack of background theme in the post-shot is a missed opportunity. Pre-shot pic is too small, try to use the composition as a comparison instead of using different pic size. Can't really make out what he's wearinig in the post-shot, a full-body shot would've been nice."
"I think you could have put more effort into the first picture, its not very creative. The second one, the girl steals the show, maybe it would have been better from a different angle?"
"I loved that he was in a box in his Task 1 and in your Task 2 he was with his doll friend/girl, they looked like they were leaning on each other's heads like they couldn't stand on their feet (as if dolls can stand on their feet properly without a stand of some sort). I don't know whether this was intentional but GREAT JOB!"

Connectzeedots - Prudence: 72/90
"Very original and creative compositions. The colors seem vibrant and crisp, very eye-catching. The dark background in the post-shot doesn't fit in the overall composition as a comparison, try to use a theme, it just looks unpolished especially around the doll."
"Very nice first picture, the only thing that could have made it creepier is if she was looking directly at the camera lol"
"Your task 1 wasn't very imaginative, but that creepy illuminative glow under her face and the fact you could see her joints made it work. I liked your task 2 as well but I didn't like the blue-ish glow, I didn't know what the purpose was."

fransica - Luxii: 65/90
"Could've used contrasting colors for background and doll's clothes for the pre-shot, it's hard to make out the bodyline of the doll. The poses need to improve. Using a contrasting theme for backgrounds would've been better. Try to use bigger pic size."
"I love the way these pictures turned out but the poses arent very creative. In the first picture I can't really tell that everything on him is maxis. The second picture looks good but I think would have been better if he was doing a little more than just sitting."
"In your Task 1 he didn't look very broken, he looked more like a doll after a face-up, in fact. But Task 2 was a definite improvement, he looked like a spruced-up doll,that's what made saved your score."

malaygirl - Nana: 72/90
"The post-shot is nicely done, the pre-shot however looks underworked, the pre-shot should help the post-shot look better, but it shouldn't look bland either, you can be creative in the pre-shot as well. Would have liked to see a variety in clothing. Stick to the same pic size, use the composition to draw a comparison instead of a different pic size."~
"The first picture was a little bland to me, but I really love the second picture."
"I liked your task 2, but in your task 1, all I can say is...ehh? Also, your round 1 is kind of boring. I'd like you to think out of the box next time, you had more potential than this."

TRIrania - Amberlee: 71/90
"The pictures-in-picture for the post-shot I just don't find necessary, I can see her face just fine without them, they also block the main pic, it's distracting. The pre-shot seems to have more of a visual impact, should be the other way around. Focus on improving the main composition instead of trying to add extra content."
"Although I wasnt sure I liked the first picture, the second one is great. I like the closeup on the left, the one on the right looks like shes sniffing her finger lol. Overall good entry."
"I loved your Task 2, but you kind of disappointed me in Task 1. Before the dolls are customised, that's what I'd like to see. What do real dolls look like before they're customised? The pose was blah for Task 1. I'd like you to go crazy with ideas next time, not just pose."

emszii - Limine: 75/90
"Very nice comparison, the difference is very clear. When editting the pic size, try not to crop out parts of the doll. The pose for post-shot could've been better. The point of the task was a drastic comparison and you got it, good job."
"She looks so natural and normal in the first picture, I wasnt expecting that at all after seeing your app lol. The second picture isnt quite as spectacular as your app entry pics, the dress looks a little bland, she looks bored...Overall good entry though."
"I'm very happy with both - it took me awhile to realise what Task 1 was. I don't really get your Task 2 besides a doll at a wedding. You have a lot of potential, but you need to be consistent."
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 12:52 PM
I sent you a PM awhile ago - did you get it?

EDIT : Ooh yum, E-Chocolates! I'd send you some E-Cheesecake but Starbucks Cheesecake gives me (and probably you) an indigestion

Any one joining this contest might find this helpful. Also, if you DON'T know what BJDs are, check out this totally awesome bio-degradable thread. I look forward to your entries and pervs and BJDs for the win!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 2:19 PM
Great contest, i don't recall seeing one for dolls before, but again i don't visit the contests thread a lot, this however intrigued me!

Here's my application

Name: Pupa
Type: BJD

Headshot

Bodyshot

Freeshot

You will find my older and newest creations here
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 2:42 PM
This contest is SO darn cute!! But How do you make a doll? I never did anything like that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Michele D
This contest is SO darn cute!! But How do you make a doll? I never did anything like that.

Thank you

You make a doll simply like you'd make a sim in CAS. Only this time, they don't have to be über realistic. Big eyes, small noses, all is good. Plus, BallJointed Dolls you'd use a ball joint skintone. One that I recommend is this skintone. Does this make sense? :spin:
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 2:53 PM
Corvidophile2, she's adorable!! Can I have him

Also Michele D, Ephemera also has some BJD eyes under his profile. Check them out, full of awesome.Here are some recolors of the BJD skintone if you'd like more variety
Test Subject
#9 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 2:59 PM
Checking in for judge duty, wow already a contestant, great start! Let's see more beautiful dolls!
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 3:05 PM
Thanks Annelae, it's a he btw lol

I have a problem editing my post with the attached images, i can't see the attached images in preview post,so sorry for the disarray.I might post on photobucket and fix it.

You will find my older and newest creations here
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 3:07 PM
Edited my post. Try www.photolava.com - needs no registration and it works fine for me!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by corvidophile2
I have a problem editing my post with the attached images, i can't see the attached images in preview post,so sorry for the disarray.I might post on photobucket and fix it.

No problem, and it's fixed now. Good application and thank you for joining!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 8:41 PM
Doll's name: Miu
Type of doll: BJD

Headshot

Bodyshot

Freeshot

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daltonism
Hope she's okay. ^^ And the headshot will change, I need to edit it in ps instead of gimp. lol[/CENTER]

She's fine I've already added her to the participant's list for you. Thank you for participating!
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 9:05 PM
I've edited. ^^ Can the body shot be from just above the ankles? ^^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daltonism
I've edited. ^^ Can the body shot be from just above the ankles? ^^

Certainly, no problem! Just as long as most of the body and face is visible
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 10:28 PM
oo this contest looks like fun I will get my app in sometime today or tomorrow

stop by my personal site here. Now wouldn't that be awesome?
#18 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 8:37 AM
Default Application - Meko
Doll's Name: Meko
Doll Type: Porcelain

Head Shot

Body Shot

Free Shot
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 9:27 AM
I'm done. I hope she's okay.
And also, just a minor point. Her names Miu not Mu. lol ^^ (there's a typo in the contestant list)
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 9:36 AM
Bexstar and Daltonism - I love your entries! Wabbits has a foldable keyboard which can mess up words sometimes, hopefully she'll see your post and get it fixed!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 10:05 AM
Lovely entries everyone! Bexstar, I've added your application to the contestants list and Daltonism, fixed the name ^^; Like Annelea said: foldable keyboard. Little bugger

So, that makes three entries! Dude, this is going well! :Pimp:
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 6:37 PM
Default Application- Rhiya
. . .Rhiya. . .
. . .BJD. . .

Headshot

Bodyshot

Free

forever and ever....amen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 8:37 PM
Lovely entry, contessa, you've been added contestants' list Thank you for joining.
#24 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 8:40 PM
monochromatic meaning one color :P! Thanks for reviewing me for my art test, haha :D.

Anyway...can we use like a pale skintone? Like Ren's/Louis' pale skintone?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChrstyFarie07
monochromatic meaning one color :P! Thanks for reviewing me for my art test, haha :D.

Anyway...can we use like a pale skintone? Like Ren's/Louis' pale skintone?

You're welcome XD

You can use any skintone you want as long as it fits with the kind of doll you want to show

Page 1 of 8