Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Skininator - a tool to make non-default and default custom skins - new version 1/10/2013

by CmarNYC Posted 5th Feb 2010 at 6:38 PM - Updated 10th Dec 2013 at 3:30 PM by CmarNYC

309 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 251 Feedback Posts, 57 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 13
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 6:52 PM
Great^^

thank you very much:-)
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 6:56 PM
Hi

I want to make Peggy's skin non-default
What do I need to do?
How do I use this?
Cause I really want to learn how to make skins non-default
Thank you soo much
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 7:26 PM
Great achievement, takes the sim creation a huge step forward.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:29 PM
Genious. But I think you should give a more thorough step on how to use this lol.
I downloaded everything but still have no idea of what to do or where to put it.
EDIT: Oh wait. I didn't see that thing about it not compressing .package files.
I will wait for that then lol
Still
This is a genious idea
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:37 PM
Wheee! Yay Cmar tis finally up!! You shouldnt have worried! Its great!!!

PS> I love how you actually used C.R.A.P.S.H.O.O.T!!!

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:50 PM
maarco: In order to make a default skin non-default, you'd have to use S3PE or another package explorer to extract all the skin files from the default replacement, and then select all of them in Skininator and make a new package.

Toxic: A tutorial is being developed. Don't wait for compression to be added since that's a relatively difficult thing to code from scratch and since it's so easy to do in S3PE I may never get to it.

Everyone: Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:52 PM
CRAPSHOOT lives! Great work Cmar. I'm going to update my UI mod's thread with a link to this tool.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:07 PM
:o Can't wait 'till the tutorial's up. This is awesome!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:10 PM
Fantastic, great work!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 10:16 PM
Thanks for your work babe. I STILL can't get over how easy it is now!

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 10:55 PM
So simple, thanks so much!!
Forum Resident
#13 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 11:58 PM
Love, love, love this program! Now, I'm a skinning fiend. Thanks for making it so easy!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 12:46 AM
YAY its finally here! Good job
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 2:08 AM
Hi!

I don't know if i'm the only one here who is having problems, but there it goes...

I downloaded 234Jiao skins. Ive extracted some textures (but there must be some poroblem, since I didn't find the dark body textures at all! I will try aikea's later though), and I went and opened your program. The problem is, there is no buttons to click on, in order to search for the textures!

I'm actually using windows seven, and I did try it in compatibility mode, but it didn't work either.

Do you know what may be hapenning with it? I don't know what else to try.

Thank you for your support, and above all your program and all youve done to the sims community! ^^

(sorry for my english also)

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 2:35 AM Last edited by savio_araujo110 : 6th Feb 2010 at 3:04 AM. Reason: add
oh, never mind! I just needed to resize the window xD

edit1: btw, I think I got something. I tried to convert 234Jiao skintone into a nondefault one, and I kinda got it. (although i haven't used all the textures, cause I didn't know where to put each one, what textures I should use and their names) I will make some attempts more tomorrow - I'm almost falling asleep right now! rofl

Thank you so much again!

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
Has a vampire viking fetish
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 3:54 AM
Thanks so much cmarNYC! <3
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 7:57 AM
Perfection! Thank you, CmarNYC, for bringing Sim Customization to a whole new level. Just think... Individual skins for every Sim! It's awesome!
Instructor
#19 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 11:22 AM
Truly a revolutionary and iconic tool for the sims 3, thank -you for broadening creative possiblities. I can wait to create my first non default skintone and to see several other new and old skintones by talented creators. THANK_YOU
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 9:53 PM
Wonderful! I am looking forward to new non replacement tones! You guys are awesome :D
Test Subject
#21 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 12:29 AM
Is this program only for adding more skin-colours, or will I be able to use different skins (with textures, bodyhair ec.) in one game?
Forum Resident
#22 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 1:26 AM
That's the really cool thing. You can have different textures like freckles, body hair, whatever. Even having different faces really adds to the variety.
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 10:14 AM Last edited by iansplinter : 8th Feb 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Wow, thats good. The only difficulty for me now is understanding how the Skininator works.
Is this tutorial made for this?:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=390230

Maybe someone knows where to find nondefault skintones for downloading?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:07 AM
Tried it, and it works just fine. I'm still using the older 1.7 upgrade and had no problems at all. In CAS, there were times when some slight coloration artifacts showed in the shaded parts of the skin, but nothing that really matters. I was using two altered AF skins (Falcon Knight & Seraphita) with only one body image each, since I have yet to find a skin package that uses a tone ramp file.

CmarNYC, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that one can leave a default skin file in place and still add the skinninator files. The first time I tested skinninator, I left out my old skin default package and CAS showed a sim with no skin, until I used the selector, which is understandable. So I went back and added the old default package and the new sim was clad with the default, allowing me to change it to the other two from skinninator as I wished. So I gather that any old In-game sims won't be affected as long as the default is left in place. My main concern is not having the multitude of older sims skinless all of a sudden. Thanks to you an Rez a whole bunch for these much needed tools.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mosbyte
So I gather that any old In-game sims won't be affected as long as the default is left in place. My main concern is not having the multitude of older sims skinless all of a sudden. Thanks to you an Rez a whole bunch for these much needed tools.
In general, sims will use the skins that are assigned to them in the saves and compositor caches. Generally, the game prefers to use the things it already knows, i.e. whats in the compositor cache. So, for instance, if you have been using one default replacement skin, then decide to remove it or swap to a different default replacement skin, then--as long as you don't take the sim into CAS, or delete your caches--the sims will use the skin found in the compositor (the one before you removed or changed the default replacement).

The same applies to NDST's (Non-Default Skin Tones) if you assign a sim an NDST, then remove the NDST at a later time, the sim will keep the skin as long as you don't load it into CAS or delete your caches.

The instance you spoke of, where the sim appears in CAS without skin, occurs when the package data is no-longer present. Previously when you had the default replacement, when you loaded your sim in CAS it was reading the info from the package. When you removed the package, CAS couldn't find the package, so it gave no skin. Because the townie sims rely on the caches (and typically won't be loaded in CAS) for their skin info, you should never run into a situation where townies have no skin. Even if you clear your caches (after removing a default replacement), townie sims should just load the game default.
Page 1 of 13