Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 10:15 PM
Default House with Rats
I looked in the forums and didn't see any similar post, so I thought I would share with you what I found. I installed LN, made a couple of sims and put them in a house in the new hood, not an apartment. I got a message stating the house was dirty and if I wanted to accept the challenge of cleaning it. I accepted it to find RATS running around the house and yard. There were piles of trash all over too. I began having the family clean up the mess, and a guy shows up at the house saying along the lines of "I am willing to help clean your house because I don't want to smell it from mine" he comes in the house and begins cleaning. The house finally got clean, but it took a while. If I clicked the trash piles it would give me the option to "shoo the rats", the sim would make movements similar to the roach stomping from TS2 and the rats would scurry off. I looked in debug mode but didn't see a rat spawner. I am not sure where to find it, but it was pretty fun.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 10:43 PM
With a brand new Sim, at moving in to his first home, I got a challenge like that just once but it had to do with insects and collecting them for science, or something to that effect. I thought sure, I haven't done this before. Well anyway, I could never get rid of the darn things and so I went into buy mode and sure enough there was some darn insect spawner on the lot which, of course, could not be deleted. Quit game. Restart.

I think your Sim had more fun than mine did.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 10:44 PM
You found the rats! So cool! The rat spawner is a code you enter in the fog object in buydebug. People have been playing with it but not getting very good results. So did the rats look like rats?

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 11:01 PM
Whoa, rats!!
its the first time i read about this.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 11:21 PM
That's what the rats are for! Some people in another thread discovered that they can be "spawned" using the fog emitter, like pigeons.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 11:21 PM
They are quite cute. I didn't realize they'd be a part of the fog object maker thingy. As for what they look like, they look like a furry tear drop shape with a tail. I googled and found this picture
http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...nt.php?aid=1711
not sure if I am allowed to post the place I found it, so I just linked the photo. It would be cool if you could catch them and keep it as a pet.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 3:11 AM
What house was it? I would like to clean it as well.
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 5:17 PM
Default Rats
Oh my gosh. Those rats are adorable.
Any chance someone can clone them as a decorative object?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
What house was it? I would like to clean it as well.

It has nothing to do with the actual house. It is an opportunity. When you start a new game and go to move your Sim into any house, the opportunity can come up. It's a very rare thing. If you respond, "Yes," to the opportunity, be it cleaning (OP's experience) or searching for cockroaches and bugs (my experience), the game simply "plants" the necessary fog emitter or insect spawner on your lot. (My house was an actual custom-built starter I had used several times.)
Forum Resident
#10 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Miko09 : 10th Nov 2010 at 8:00 PM. Reason: lol misspell :P
Why does everything have dirty and disgusting, EA? First it was roaches in sims 2, now it rats and pidgeons. For once I would like some cute hamsters digging through my trash or an adorable rabbit eating the vegetables in my garden. Sheesh
Inventor
#11 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 7:31 PM
Rats aren't dirty and disgusting. On the other hand, gerbils will cannibalize.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:39 PM
How come I never get opportunities like this? Darn!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 8:45 PM
Only opportunity I ever get is the "buried on graveyard". I don't like that almost immediately, someone shows up asking if you want them to take care of it. If I wanted them to take care of it, I wouldn't have accepted the opportunity, damnit.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly
Inventor
#14 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 9:18 PM
Its got to be better than "Go to a dance club" or "Make freinds with Name Cleb" *LOL* I also get travel to China and Egypt or make nectar in France. But last night I got take the heavy object in inventory to China. I always got paintings before for non painters. How do Vampires travel?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 9:43 PM
I have never had one of the move in challenges either. I would love to experience it once.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 9:53 PM
I had them too! I read somewhere that they would kinda float in mid-air when using the fog emitter, but the one I got in the challenge walked just fine.
Screenshots

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
Instructor
#17 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 11:27 PM
Cool, now on the rat hunt. Gimme rats!!

Btw I didn't know gerbils were cannibals. Just did a search on youtube and now I'm traumatized.
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 11:32 PM
My husband has seen chipmunks take down a bird and eat it. O_o Apparently there are surprises in nature such as the cannibal gerbils and meat eating chipmunks.
I almost left the rats alone in one room as it was sort of cute to have them. I do wish there was a rabbit that ate your garden, didn't Sims 1 have something like a mouse hole in the kitchen or something?
The other one
#19 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
Cool, now on the rat hunt. Gimme rats!!

Btw I didn't know gerbils were cannibals. Just did a search on youtube and now I'm traumatized.

I once stumbled upon a stray cat eating it's own new born kittens....One of them was dead, one was alive and the one she was in the middle of eating was still meowing. Apparently it's something they do sometimes if they feel they're in danger. We phoned a vet to find out what to do and he told us it's best just to leave them to it. Now that is traumatising, I don't think that's a memory I'll ever forget.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
I once stumbled upon a stray cat eating it's own new born kittens....One of them was dead, one was alive and the one she was in the middle of eating was still meowing. Apparently it's something they do sometimes if they feel they're in danger.

Cats or any carnivore (even some birds) will sometimes eat their young if they are born sickly, deformed, or have some other disability. Also if there is a food supply shortage making it unlikely that they'll be able to raise a healthy litter to adulthood. Soooo spay and neuter!

On topic: I'm totally jealous of those people who got the movin opportunity. I've never got even a boring one! I'd lLOVE rats or meteors or SOMETHING! Come on EA throw me a bone!

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Test Subject
#21 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 11:58 AM
Adding to the disgusting animal side of things: Hamsters and rabbits are big eaters of their own young. If they get stressed out or if you touch them to early they'll eat them.

I got a moth infested challenge once, and i just got one about the house being trash filled but i ignored it because, well, i didn't want to clean trash. Had i know there were rats i would have taken it! :P
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 1:47 PM
I'd also like to chip in and say I haven't gotten one of these move-in opportunities. Guess since I play mostly legacy families, I don't do a whole lotta moving. And cheating to get them seems wrong, just not as fun.
Test Subject
#23 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 8:47 PM
I had this opportunity once. There were a lot of outstanding fruits and vegetables on all the surfaces.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 22nd Nov 2010 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by We are all trash
And cheating to get them seems wrong, just not as fun.

There is a cheat? What is it?
Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 5:01 PM
heh heh..i've had several "move in challenges"...bad plumbing...old burial ground...and bug infestations...and several meteorites...

the meteors are annoying...although the huge rotating shadow on your house/lot before the impact is kinda cool...(/sim name/ wonders why it's gotten so dark)...its never killed any of my sims (dont know if it can...its kinda second nature to run away from large space rocks falling toward you)...it leaves several collectable small to big "space rocks" on the lot...and one flippin huge one worth thousands...but it also destroys objects on your lot and it isnt always obvious just what is "destroyed"...i had sims wandering around thier home for days with the disgusted moodlet before i realized all the windows on one side of my house were ruined...the only clue was they were blackened...not very obvious if you have windows with thin frames

one side note...the meteors seem to be directed at a perticular sim...i came to this conclusion when one hit the theater that my sim had just left after getting off work...i dont know how damage was handled in this case...but i DID make my sim run around and collect several thousand simoleans worth of "space rocks"
Page 1 of 2