Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Nearly alive
#26 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ashina
I just hope that they can [eventually] make the SimPE plugin able to export the mesh into .3ds files T_T

I have thought about adding .3ds support to the mesh tool (once the plugin rewrite is finished) however as I said above, really most objects should be imported using a format which supports bones/skeletons and .3DS doesn`t support bones, so I`m really unsure that it would be worth the effect of adding it.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 11:56 AM
3ds doesn't support bones?! Isn't 3ds the format used by 3D Studio Max? Because, surely 3D Studio Max must support bones...

It would be good if you could use that format, though, 'cause most other programs can export to 3ds. But if it's true what you say, then no, it's not worth adding it.
Nearly alive
#28 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 12:26 PM
Everything I have read says .3ds doesn`t support bones. The documents of the format make no mention of bones and I have searched for any information saying it does, and everytime I`ve found someone else asking if it does support them , the answer they have been told is no.
I believe 3DS studio max uses the .MAX format for bones (and other things unsupported by .3ds)
Test Subject
#29 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:35 AM
Try BLENDER3d ... http://www.blender3d.org/

Its quite a nice open source prog.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:46 AM
ashina, I beg your pardon, but Anim8or does support import and export of .obj. I use it to produce stuff for Poser and it exports .obj's just fine. And it's easy to learn and use.

Slip

Smile so people will wonder what you're up to...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 1:11 AM
It is easy to use definitely, I can second taht. But it can't open MANY files. There's always an "error with file type" or something so I can't import it unless I go through milkshape first. If I do that, I migth as well use milkshape.

Can't you [genius programmer] people still make it exportable to .3ds? I mean is it hard? Because for example, a table doesn't really need animation. I think it would be easier for everyone who does un-animated meshes. And if someone wants to animate it, then they'll use the other file type. I'm not sure if I'm making sense...
#32 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:10 PM
Azureus :D
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 6:42 PM
where can i get milkshape?
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 5:16 PM
http://www.milkshape3d.com/ to register it it's only 25 US dollars or Euros and there is a fairly lengthy test period. Very good price I think, I've used it for other games too.
Alchemist
#35 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grykon
And there was only one model and I could freely rotate all around it...can not find that in milkshape or xsi...If you gain any knowledge please share!

I credit Dr. Pixel for this MilkShape hint:
You can select vertices in the 3D view by
1. Press the "Select" button on the "Model" tab
2. Hold the "Alt" key down and use alt-shift-click for multiple selections or alt-click and drag for a rectangular selection.

Using shift and ctrl with mouse click-and-drag and wheel mouse allows faster zooming and resetting the view. You can maximize the 3D view window and it becomes the only visible editing view.

Alas, like many MilkShape features, this one is well hidden from ordinary mortals.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 12:40 PM
Anim8tor. is a free one but i have noe idea how to ues it,i guess it ewhould work,how whould u make objetcs with it and then transfur them to the gaem,all the program looks like it a green arrow and red one plush a bule line in the middel and a big thin white line,i now u just havev to understand how to ues it,can any body tell me a chould place that is free to learn how to make and understand how to ues this for making sim objetcs,thanx..........................
Test Subject
#37 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 5:55 AM
for anim8or, it's a good idea to check out the basic tutorials on their website. they actually have some nice information to share. (something like http://anim8or.com/ , right?)
i use anim8or, it's just easy for me, it's how my mind works.
Test Subject
#38 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 7:33 AM Last edited by manac_simmer : 11th Mar 2005 at 7:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aner-Dyfan
http://www.milkshape3d.com/ to register it it's only 25 US dollars or Euros and there is a fairly lengthy test period. Very good price I think, I've used it for other games too.

Well It's gone up to 42 dollars CAD which loosly translates to 35 USD.

However my main issue with milkshape is A) it's costs money to buy (understandable since everyone uses it) B) and the lastest release 1.7.4 seems to always crash when I try to import smd files. C) I really haven't taken a lot of time to learn Milkshape.

Speaking of SMD I had a helluva time trying to find that exporter for Max7 which I know well enough and I'm not about ready to switch progs, it sux though that the .obj exporter in 3ds doesn't agree with meshtool.

Or maybe it does agree but there's 8 checkboxes. maybe a certain combination would unlock the secret to why it doesn't agree.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:34 AM Last edited by fireflies : 17th Apr 2005 at 12:16 PM.
Can someone confirm if blender is still running it's website? :argh:
for some reason i cannot access it and i was looking for the latest version
and i cannot access anything so either it is gone or i am blocking it?

edit - nevermind they were updating their site
Scholar
#40 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by manac_simmer
However my main issue with milkshape is A) it's costs money to buy (understandable since everyone uses it) B) and the lastest release 1.7.4 seems to always crash when I try to import smd files. C) I really haven't taken a lot of time to learn Milkshape.

If you have MilkShape, use Wes' plugins instead of .smd

They allow direct import/export of the GMDC file itself (no conversion needed), have full bone support, and the bones have proper names instead of just numbers - much easier to work with.
Test Subject
#41 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 10:12 PM Last edited by HellBorn : 18th Apr 2005 at 10:24 PM.
Quote:
Wings3D doesn't support the bones and animation so meshes edited in this program don't work correctly in the game. I tried with hair & clothing several times and had no success, the vertices were all over the place because they lost their bone assignments.

If anyone have problems with Wings and exploding meshes when editing clothes etc... they can try my little application.

I have just releast a first version and should really like to know if it solves any problems.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=57446
Field Researcher
#42 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 10:46 PM
I use Milkshape and I must say, it's very simple to use. Only I was getting a little annoyed cuz all my objects kinda look blocky. I was actually looking for a new, non-expensive program to use. Does anyone know what Snowstorm uses??? Her objects look very cool and she's/he's (sry, not sure!) able to make that rounded look with out getting all blocky. Also, in Milkshape, sometimes the objects get all shiney or the way the texture lays on it is all wierd. I don't know how to fix that. Of course, I tend to look at the glass half empty I was going to try and donload the free learning Maya program but trying to get it to download was so fustrating I finally gave up.
Instructor
#43 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 11:24 PM
wings 3d
Test Subject
#44 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 2:00 AM
Isn't there a skimmed down version of 3d studio max available for free .. GMax, I think is what it is called. It was disigned so that the modding community for Quake could really get their hands dirty and make some good objects without relying on getting a pirated copy of Maya or 3d Studio Max. Try looking on Google and Yahoo! for GMax. I know it's either free or *very* affordable since that was the aim of making it in the first place.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 2:21 AM
my sister works with cinema so she'll get Maya for me.
Test Subject
#46 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 10:34 PM
i would like to point out that though its illegal...you can obtain them all for free, i can tell you, but only out side of mts2, as to not cause any trouble... so contact me
Instructor
#47 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 1:09 PM
oh i remember the good old days of gmax, editing C&C renegade... good times, good times
Fluffy
retired moderator
#48 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grykon
I've messed with Blender, Milkshape and XSI and without a doubt the easiest to learn and make changes to a mesh is Blender...The problem is the obj file format. If they get the mesh tool's obj file format fixed, I would be eternally grateful, then Blender is without a doubt the better of the 3...IMO. Course if the people developing the import/export scripts for Blender would take pity on us they would develop one for the SMD format...

I work with Blender and had no problems with the obj format.
You can just import it straight into SimPE 0.4 SimPE does turn all quads into triangles, for some reason, so poly count doubles
other than that, no worries
Test Subject
#49 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:19 PM Last edited by nath042 : 10th Jul 2005 at 2:23 PM.
i have quite a few 3d moddeling programs but still havent mastered making objects is there any plugins for ts2 with gmax animator or blender as i have them sorry if im a bit slow or if its been asked already:P

also can someone pm me or post what i would need to make a basic object (i have psp8(paint shop pro8) i do have milkshape and blender but i dont know how to use them yet
Field Researcher
#50 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:31 PM
i think that the developer around here can write a plug for gmax / 3dstudio with maxScript to import / export models directly in obj format..

*3dstudio can save the mapping coors with the model too
Page 2 of 3