Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by A17
So after what happened to Habbo Hotel where pedophile rings did indeed infiltrate the game, would EA learn that if they tried another online game like the Sims, there is a potential to attract pedophile rings, I wonder if the concern is legitimate

To be honest, and quite frank, you're going to get pervs anywhere online. Where ever an opportunity is perceived someone will try their luck. That is the nature of the dark 'underbelly' (for want of a better word) of the internet - the anonymity it provides.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 7:17 AM
That's only show that sims franchise should never go online. Sims is a game, where a single player is a god of his small world. And that's how sims should stay.
And sometimes I'm thinking, how actually look sims 4 if it was developing as a single player game from beggining....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
That's only show that sims franchise should never go online. Sims is a game, where a single player is a god of his small world. And that's how sims should stay.
And sometimes I'm thinking, how actually look sims 4 if it was developing as a single player game from beggining....

You got a point there, also it pretty much proves children nowadays have no clue on what they are really asking for, its like once they want another Sims Online, its not like once it goes online its not like everything will be flowery, every online game I have played to date have had their fair share of pedophiles
Instructor
#29 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 9:41 PM
I tried to think how to do a Sims online. This was about where I got before the issues mounted up faster than I could think of solutions:
Quote:
Okay many hours sleep and some food later some ideas have percolated a bit in my mind on how one could do the Sims online. Not saying these ideas would work let alone be successful but they are ideas on how to get the general spirit of the Sims into an online game.

First off, the Sims in an online game would really come at things pretty backwards from what the traditional MMO is all about. Player housing and player customization usually take a backseat to the combat and competition mechanics. It's changed a bit with more MMOs these days making the stats separate items from the outfits. Getting stuff is pretty much second though beating stuff. The Sims really is more about getting stuff. While there is a levelling system in the careers, the point is really to get more stuff to keep your sims busy happy and your house looking good and in effect, ever expanding. That's means no matter what, this is not going to fit into a standard MMO model.

So the focus is on making the Sim you want and the home you want. We're probably not going to make the social part of an MMO work if we let people play whole families. So it'll probably be best to go one Player to one Sim as our formula. We're also going to want to give folks some sort of housing right off the bat. Let's look first at setting up the Sim.

Setting up a sim I could see as being pretty similar to what you do now. Some customization of the look of your sim and setting a few traits that define what your Sim is good at. Sims the social interactions are pretty much going to be done by the player with other players, you'd probably have few social related traits and more based on interests and abilities. I'd also like to see the requirement of a flaw trait a la Sims Medieval. This would provide more depth to character design but also could be used to tweak how good some combinations of traits are to keep game play fair. Alternatively have traits that provide both bonuses and negatives. These would help with character in thier jobs, which I'll touch on after we go over a bit about housing.

There are a number of things in both the Sims 4 and the first bit expansion, Get to Work, that make me think they had some of the same ideas I did. However I got to agree, it's not something that can easily be done. My honest to God biggest advice if they were to try to do this Is DON"T STICK THE SIMS NAME ON IT. Seriously, it would be such a different game from what the Sims are that it really would need to be it's own franchise.
Instructor
#30 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 10:37 PM
It's not really feasible to make the Sims an online game. A single-player game with multi-player elements (like the Gallery)? Sure. That makes sense. An entirely-online game? No.

I see a lot of people ask for an online Sims game on the Sims' Facebook page and I make it a habit to always make the same two points in response:
1) The Sims Online was a failure.
2) How would an online version work?
... I get the darndest of (uninformed naive) responses sometimes, but usually just get silence.
#31 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 11:00 PM
After seeing all this, it would seem that making a good online game is easier said than done. Neopets and Webkinz seem to have stopped being a thing years ago, and I recently read on Tumblr that Neopets has pretty much turned to chaos after something happened and most of the mods and admins were fired. Webkinz seemed to have suffered a similar fate, when people stopped buying those stuffed Webkinz toys - when you sign up, they give you a free Webkinz to adopt ONLINE. Excuse me, Webkinz, but why wasn't this an option several years ago when I was just an innocent 9-10 year old and still caring for those little thingies as if it meant my life?!

Speaking of which, should I just create a new account and adopt a new Webkinz just for nostalgia's sake? I feel like doing that.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
It's not really feasible to make the Sims an online game. A single-player game with multi-player elements (like the Gallery)? Sure. That makes sense. An entirely-online game? No.

I see a lot of people ask for an online Sims game on the Sims' Facebook page and I make it a habit to always make the same two points in response:
1) The Sims Online was a failure.
2) How would an online version work?
... I get the darndest of (uninformed naive) responses sometimes, but usually just get silence.

Even thought some people want another Sims Online, they will learn the hardway that it is not like what the Sims is and is basically a giant glorified chatroom like Second Life and etc and also it will miss many features from the normal Sims games
Page 2 of 2