Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
I was thinking of murder in the game, and I think it's appropriate for the themes I handling, I'm planning that sens don't murder people unless they get very angry, or they have the murderer behavior, of course there will be a toggle to switch off the murders and other content which may be inappropriate for the kiddies .
yeah that could be good, i really hate the "false moralism" sims games have cuz have murder in teen games is very common, all you need is remove the blood and make the action very cartoon and childsh, a good exemple is the game constructor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFFxzL3YeZY
a really good life simulator must touch that things.

a good way to have murder characters could be they being evil or have a murderer trait, being anger or have black widow desire, then after him murder you can investigate the murder with other character in police or detective career and peoples can read about the death in the newspaper..

another thing which could be good which i missed in sims is when a character speak with other character with a phone is a "fake call", could be good being realistic if i call a character or he call me could be really the character calling or the other character getting his phone to speak, in sims 3 while you could true send sms in real time and the other receive or can send back, talk was "fake" or offscreen process, could be good some interactions being true emulated another good exemple could be play games "online" throught pc or consoles, when you try to play online and choose someone that character gonna really play online with u.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 7:04 PM
I love it, please never abbandon this project.

I really like how you are making a fast progress.
Are you going to keep the low poly TS1 styled characters? I not really a fan of it if you ask me, i think having something like the beta version of TS2 would be perfect for you Project.
Also is this going to be a oficial game or fan made one, i mean will you publish it and stuff? It would be a wonderful idea if you ask me, TS is needing some competition.

I know how hard it is to make fan games, i have been making some for a while, and what you have to do is hear opnions but not allow people to "control" your project, you have to do something that is fun for you to make.
Anyway, good luck with the project, and i really hope it turns out to be a fun game to play.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Xopax
I love it, please never abbandon this project.

I really like how you are making a fast progress.
Are you going to keep the low poly TS1 styled characters? I not really a fan of it if you ask me, i think having something like the beta version of TS2 would be perfect for you Project.
Also is this going to be a oficial game or fan made one, i mean will you publish it and stuff? It would be a wonderful idea if you ask me, TS is needing some competition.

I know how hard it is to make fan games, i have been making some for a while, and what you have to do is hear opnions but not allow people to "control" your project, you have to do something that is fun for you to make.
Anyway, good luck with the project, and i really hope it turns out to be a fun game to play.

If I make enough progress, I hope to kickstarter it and get enough money for hiring more programmers and artists, currently, I'm the only that's working on this project.Unfortunately, the low poly Sims 1 Style graphics are going to stay, because more detail = more budget. Currently, I have no budget whatsoever but that may change very soon. Perhaps if this is successful, maybe for Untitled Life Sim Project 2?
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 7:27 PM
If I make enough progress, I hope to kickstarter it and get enough money for hiring more programmers and artists, currently, I'm the only that's working on this project.Unfortunately, the low poly Sims 1 Style graphics are going to stay, because more detail = more budget. Currently, I have no budget whatsoever but that may change very soon. Perhaps if this is successful, maybe for Untitled Life Sim Project 2?

if you kickstart get enought support then you will get enough budget to hire peoples, like
http://www.identityrpg.com/
that guys also started with kickstart and take like one year to get a great amount of budget and hire peoples and they are still developing very fast the things, all you need is show your talent and maxis keep doing mistakes over and over, basically maxis is asking to be closed, they already closed they plans for simcity with terrible mistakes now they are doing the same with sims 4, all they need is someone just step and give something good enough to make then totally fall which at this point is not really a "hard work" to do with the low quality and lazy work they are currently doing.
Test Subject
#30 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 8:48 PM

I understand, but is it really that hard to make more detailed models?, i mean you don't need to have the same amount of details was the ones from TS2. This is a example of model i use for my fangames:

http://i.imgur.com/8AwL2WS.jpg

I didn't made it, but the guy who made it, made it from scratch and made it avaiable for free.
It's very low poly model but still looks detailed enough and also has joints.

I just think some effort could be made, if i could, i would help with the project for free. But unfortunately the only thing i know is how to edit already made models.
I'm sure there's some TS fans who would help with models for you, try to contact people who make CC, maybe?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th Sep 2015 at 11:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xopax
I understand, but is it really that hard to make more detailed models?, i mean you don't need to have the same amount of details was the ones from TS2. This is a example of model i use for my fangames:

http://i.imgur.com/8AwL2WS.jpg

I didn't made it, but the guy who made it, made it from scratch and made it avaiable for free.
It's very low poly model but still looks detailed enough and also has joints.

I just think some effort could be made, if i could, i would help with the project for free. But unfortunately the only thing i know is how to edit already made models.
I'm sure there's some TS fans who would help with models for you, try to contact people who make CC, maybe?

The problem is is that in most games there is only ONE player model, but a life simulation game needs a lot of assets, like A LOT. You will need about I'm guessing 30 clothes and bottoms per gender, multiply that by 2 genders, and 4 ages (elder isn't included since they use the same meshes as adults) = A hella lot ton of clothes and bottoms. So you can see why having detailed models isn't really an option for indie game developers.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Sep 2015 at 4:46 PM
The problem is is that in most games there is only ONE player model, but a life simulation game needs a lot of assets, like A LOT. You will need about I'm guessing 30 clothes and bottoms per gender, multiply that by 2 genders, and 4 ages (elder isn't included since they use the same meshes as adults) = A hella lot ton of clothes and bottoms. So you can see why having detailed models isn't really an option for indie game developers.

yeah that was you need more man power specially peoples which are good at 3d models.
Test Subject
#33 Old 21st Sep 2015 at 2:56 AM
Not going to lie, I know the pain of modelling and animating... ESPECIALLY with Unity. I recognize some people here from the officials and I will tell you, unless you are like a master artist, it is near impossible to make an amazingly graphically pleasing game. The characters itself are not only hard to design, but even harder to animate. So, Op, if this thread gets enough feedback, consider kickstarter-ing it because believe me, later on with development, you will really begin to hate the graphics aspect of the game XD. Not only will character design be crazy hard, but wait for world design. You will definitely want to kickstarter it.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangesmasher221
Not going to lie, I know the pain of modelling and animating... ESPECIALLY with Unity. I recognize some people here from the officials and I will tell you, unless you are like a master artist, it is near impossible to make an amazingly graphically pleasing game. The characters itself are not only hard to design, but even harder to animate. So, Op, if this thread gets enough feedback, consider kickstarter-ing it because believe me, later on with development, you will really begin to hate the graphics aspect of the game XD. Not only will character design be crazy hard, but wait for world design. You will definitely want to kickstarter it.

Graphics are more important than people will admit. It's our primary way of interacting with video games. It's how we judge a video game before playing it. It's how long the game will last. None of the Sims games have truly gone out of date yet, but that's also because the aesthetic has always been very nice. TS1 and TS2 both were pretty well balanced between realism and wackiness, if you ask me. TS3 tried to pull off a realistic aesthetic, and while mods can make that work really really well, overall it didn't always suit the game. TS4 went the other way entirely, and that doesn't work out particularly well either. Especially since the game was developed to run on teenage girls' laptops. Which of course means low quality everything. Which also means PC gamers like me feel left out.

But when you've got a project of this scope ahead, you're not gonna get anywhere with just you, your free time and your skills. You're gonna need tons of time, several people with different skills, and a considerable amount of money.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#35 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 4:23 PM
Some interesting links from sasdad, along with some pictures of an early Sims 3 build.

Quote: Originally posted by sasdad
I've found some useful information on The Sims 3, some by Ray Mazza relating to design and one relating Richard Evans about AI in The Sims 3 from AIIDE 2009. These are both interesting in terms of development but don't offer any information on the engine used.

Ray Mazza Design Blog: http://www.raymazza.com/game-design
Richard Evans AI Notes: http://intrinsicalgorithm.com/IAonA...-richard-evans/

IMO before you kickstart it, I would try to get some more of the mechanics of the game down first (a bit more than just needs, maybe include personality and AI). Some nice artwork/in-progress meshes and outlined goals won't hurt as well.

People want to be assured that they'll be getting something through their money, and I think the stakes are a bit higher since there were a couple of high-profile Kickstarter failures.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#36 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Some interesting links from sasdad, along with some pictures of an early Sims 3 build.

IMO before you kickstart it, I would try to get some more of the mechanics of the game down first (a bit more than just needs, maybe include personality and AI). Some nice artwork/in-progress meshes and outlined goals won't hurt as well.

People want to be assured that they'll be getting something through their money, and I think the stakes are a bit higher since there were a couple of high-profile Kickstarter failures.

Actually, I don't think I'm going to kickstart it at the beginning, I'm going to obtain some funds (maybe other family members can pitch in?) and use those to make the game's graphics and gameplay better, then I'll submit it to Steam Greenlight, and then get it to Early Access to show people that there is in fact, a game, And THEN, when people are impressed, am I going to say "Hey, if you want an even better Life Sim game, then kickstart this project!".

AI was one of the first things I worked on, and personality is definitely coming! I'll add that to my fancy Notepad++ text file.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sasdad
Ray Mazza Design Blog: http://www.raymazza.com/game-design

I loved reading his stuff! Especially the one on traits, it really made me appreciate the thought that went into TS3. The problem with TS3 is that it turned out entirely different to what the devs had hoped it to be. If you look at early screenshots et cetera you see a game that is vastly different in style than the expansions - especially the later ones. Looking at pre-release screenshots, mockups and concepts, I can't really see what it would've been like. Much like early TS2 screenshots are vaguely reminiscent of TS1. Same thing goes for TS4, actually. I think that's something that needs to be taken into account - where will this game go? Will there be unforeseen changes that might influence the end result? Is my (OP's) current vision the right one?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 8:36 PM
Actually, I don't think I'm going to kickstart it at the beginning, I'm going to obtain some funds (maybe other family members can pitch in?) and use those to make the game's graphics and gameplay better, then I'll submit it to Steam Greenlight, and then get it to Early Access to show people that there is in fact, a game, And THEN, when people are impressed, am I going to say "Hey, if you want an even better Life Sim game, then kickstart this project!".

AI was one of the first things I worked on, and personality is definitely coming! I'll add that to my fancy Notepad++ text file.

normally steam greenlight more fast kickstarter projects, identity and arc survival and others games come from the kickstarter then steam get then to they system, i also want to see a strong AI, not what sims games have most of the times which is too random and to based on objects or too limited.

like i told before have true evil deviant sens or true goods which never do evil things or a sens which true hate childs or is a true loner and things like that the sens have really unique identity where you could see how much they are different from others like a coward sen aways aways try to run or faint or be passive while someone pick a fight with him or a hotheaded sen get easy anger and want fight or a grumpy sen aways in a bad mood and things like that

another note you read the replay i did in your site yesterday? about relationship?
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Graphics are more important than people will admit. It's our primary way of interacting with video games. It's how we judge a video game before playing it. It's how long the game will last. None of the Sims games have truly gone out of date yet, but that's also because the aesthetic has always been very nice. TS1 and TS2 both were pretty well balanced between realism and wackiness, if you ask me. TS3 tried to pull off a realistic aesthetic, and while mods can make that work really really well, overall it didn't always suit the game. TS4 went the other way entirely, and that doesn't work out particularly well either. Especially since the game was developed to run on teenage girls' laptops. Which of course means low quality everything. Which also means PC gamers like me feel left out.

But when you've got a project of this scope ahead, you're not gonna get anywhere with just you, your free time and your skills. You're gonna need tons of time, several people with different skills, and a considerable amount of money.

i agree with you i'm also a gamer and totally disappointed with sims 4, i don't liked the "low quality of the graphics" masked with a silly cartoon vibrant style, but which you can easy see the lack of "details or poor work", from gamer point of view a develop team showing lazy or poor skills is really bad.

another let down was the little to tiny words and all the load screen everywhere, they where terrible for me i could not stand with them i feel like playing a "doll house" but not really fun to claustrophobic and also the poor AI and emotions, well to be fair a lot of things really don't worked for me and make the game feel like was a cheap way to steal money from peoples full of lazyness and cuts.

this is why i currently play sims 3 and give up in sims 4, i like much more the open world the less "joker smile face" and with the right mods the game become pretty good, while in sims 4 no matter the mods i tried to use the game keep the same bore and greedy face.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 4:04 PM
hello man yesterday i was in the sims 4 forum where someone dropped this game and he really looks awesome the AI system is very complex and well made could be interesting you take a check at it as reference for your work.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...s/?id=422537663
here a video with some explanation of the mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=c18HulLgfQI
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#41 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellessarr
hello man yesterday i was in the sims 4 forum where someone dropped this game and he really looks awesome the AI system is very complex and well made could be interesting you take a check at it as reference for your work.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...s/?id=422537663
here a video with some explanation of the mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=c18HulLgfQI

The AI actually seems very simple, it just says, if character is poor, get a job, however if character is poor and is evil, rob a bank.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 5:02 PM Last edited by ellessarr : 26th Sep 2015 at 6:59 PM.
The AI actually seems very simple, it just says, if character is poor, get a job, however if character is poor and is evil, rob a bank.

i think that is the idea for then, to do something like you, the npcs will be on full autonomous, but not all the times they will make the best choices or the choices you desire then you will be the one to decide if they did the right choice or make that decisions for then, if him choose rob then you can intervein and make then not rob then he will remember that and the chance of try to rob will decrease until he don't want to rob anymore, for what i get from they explanations the game will store pratically everything from the character life on his data as his memory to make him remember every choice and every aspect and that aspects will affect his life, like the character ask to date a girl then she refuse then the character get depressed then start to get fat don't clean the house become lazy whenever he see the girl he hidden and get envy, something like this really affected his life and not something will last a little this will affect his life forever then we can choose help him break from that sadness or throw him even more inside it, this is very interesting all of his life span matter until he fufil his life dream.

the same for the girl when the guy found another girl and married the other girl get jelly, because the guy she refused become rich and get a better woman, because that girl dream wish was become rich and she lost that oportunity with him, like his life affected her life, that is really a good deep connection, that is what i liked the fact which the life of others characters your character meet can true affect your life in others ways rater than just become a couple, the happiness of one can be the sadness of the other or the anger, like you see your rival having a great life while your life sux and things like that.

thst is really a deep connection detail which can great enrich the game that could be something really cool to have in your game some sort of connections between characters where based on some situations one character life can affect the other, like a character have a crush in another but never had courage to confess he see the crush end with another person can affect his life and even if him find another person he can still thinking about the past crush or if him find her died can affect him and things like that.

another fact which i liked in this game is the fact which the Ai can disobey the player like in the test the character was hungry and want eat but the player keep forcing him to go to the gym and the character tried to go the restaurant than the player forced again than the character get anger and "finger pointed to the player" that was really cool that really make then looks smart.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:03 PM
keeping my prevous comment one thing which i not noticed, in tgl the guy which get depressed when he saw the girl with another guy, that guy become automatically his rival

and for that he start to harash that guy, that is a very good level of connection which all the characters can have, the guy never meet the other but he automatically hated him for being his love rival and have the girl which he had a crush

which also could be interesting you add in your game, how many game aspects can really afect the character and the characters around him and also a "crush" system for romance like a sem can fall in love but the other side still don't know and be "one side love" and things like that.
Test Subject
#44 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 2:37 AM
Hello, I would love to help out! I can do concept art for people, including babies, children, teens, adults, and elders. Can you also include lifestages like baby, toddler/preschooler, child, preteen, teen, young adult, adult, and elder?
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 3:15 PM
i have a suggestion for npcs jobs, i don't know if you @simmythesim, had played sims 3 and know nrass mods, they have a option which i liked which is the possibility of assign played sims with npcs jobs, then could be interesting if you could add that for your game, we be able to choose between a already existing sim in the world or fil it with a random generated sim and also option to set the payment for hours, also have shiftings like the character work for a max like 6 or 8 hours then is switched for another to make the community lot look a little more realistic and alive, also have options to have day offs, like the career npc not gonna work every day without a rest.

also could be interesting if we could be able to choose the hours which the community lot will be open and possible days which he can be closed, like some night clubs are more common to be only opened during weekends and during middle week(between Tuesday and Thursday they can be closed, the player have a better control over the community lot work.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 3:18 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 28th Sep 2015 at 3:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Olika23
Hello, I would love to help out! I can do concept art for people, including babies, children, teens, adults, and elders. Can you also include lifestages like baby, toddler/preschooler, child, preteen, teen, young adult, adult, and elder?

If I kickstart it and gets lots and lots of funding then sure all ages. However for the alpha version, only kids and adults for the meantime, different ages take a lot of effort along all different development disciplines, sound effect, voices, AI, tuning, graphics...
Test Subject
#47 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 10:16 PM
If I kickstart it and gets lots and lots of funding then sure all ages. However for the alpha version, only kids and adults for the meantime, different ages take a lot of effort along all different development disciplines, sound effect, voices, AI, tuning, graphics...

I totally understand. I wouldn't take my time to work on all of those ages first. Kids and adults are good enough now. Lol. Keep up with the good progress of this game! I can't wait to see what is has much in store in the future!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 5:31 AM
hello these days i was in the sims 4 forum and i see someone posting somethin interesting and i remembe you told which you plain to make the game "have the boundaries" sims tried to avoid like deaths and bla bla bla, in the post someone sugested to add "periods" for female sims, you know the famous "these days' where the females are unstable, that could be something interesting to add in your game also middle age for guys or puberty, add self woohoo add menopause and that human aspects???

another question about the age rating, what you are planning?
Quote:
TEEN

Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

or
Quote:
MATURE

Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

or
Quote:
ADULTS ONLY

Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up. May include prolonged scenes of intense violence, graphic sexual content and/or gambling with real currency.

i hope you are planning at last MATURE for we can get a really deep game with many "light and darksides".
Mad Poster
#49 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellessarr
Add "periods" for female sims, you know the famous "these days' where the females are unstable, that could be something interesting to add in your game.

That'd be great as a moodlet. I like to think of Sims as real human beings, until I realise that means they get periods. However, it'd still be a nice touch. I suppose it could also be modded into TS4. In both cases, maybe a 24h moodlet every 7 days? A 3 day moodlet every 14 days? Also, yeah, Self WooHoo sounds good. I've found that WooHoo actually helps a great deal to improve the moods of my Sims (in TS4, at least) and Self WooHoo would be great as a substitute, albeit one that is less powerful.

Also, someone on Reddit mentioned the following about traits: To make Sims more diverse, perhaps they could have 3 regular Traits and, in addition, 5 Minor Traits. I really like that idea. Maybe a Veggie trait, a Gamer trait, a Nympho trait, and maybe even a Bigot trait?

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#50 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:19 PM
Hey guys! I've ordered a Blue Snowball, which is a professional mic, and it's going to arrive a week or two from now, I bought it so you can all hear my angsty, teenagery voice in high quality, and I'll use it in weekly updates and maybe even let's plays. Blue Snowballs are very hard to find in my country, so that is the reason for the two week delivery time because there are NO Blue sellers in my country and I had to order it online.

Page 2 of 9