Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 2:00 AM
I have one question for you actually. What modeling program do you plan on using when you eventually get to the "Graphics" stage?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangesmasher221
I have one question for you actually. What modeling program do you plan on using when you eventually get to the "Graphics" stage?

I assume someone else entirely would do that. Also, can I recommend Blender? It's by far the most versatile, accessible modeling toolkit out there. Mostly because it's free, which means creating custom assets should be easier.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#53 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
I assume someone else entirely would do that. Also, can I recommend Blender? It's by far the most versatile, accessible modeling toolkit out there. Mostly because it's free, which means creating custom assets should be easier.
I am a 3D modeling noob, but I'm currently learning how to do stuff and all that.
Test Subject
#54 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
Hey guys! I've ordered a Blue Snowball, which is a professional mic, and it's going to arrive a week or two from now, I bought it so you can all hear my angsty, teenagery voice in high quality, and I'll use it in weekly updates and maybe even let's plays. Blue Snowballs are very hard to find in my country, so that is the reason for the two week delivery time because there are NO Blue sellers in my country and I had to order it online.

I know how you feel bro with the voice...It's normal through our teen years. :p
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#55 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 11:03 AM
Sorry for the lack of progress lately, my keyboard broke a while ago, Expect updates to resume next week!
Mad Poster
#56 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 10:01 PM
Sorry for the lack of progress lately, my keyboard broke a while ago, Expect updates to resume next week!

So what does your setup look like? I'll be honest with you, I can't trust a person with a single-monitor setup to build a competent video game.

I have a keyboard and mouse with extra buttons (Logitech G15, Logi G300) - they're really damn useful. I don't have to enter cheats manually anymore, and that's pretty damn handy in TS3. I just press G8 on the mouse to open the cheat window, then M2 to open the group of Build Mode cheats I've set up, and then G3 to enter disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt on. 3 button presses is all it takes. If you're serious about game development, this is the kind of stuff you might wanna invest in. Besides being awesome, it's damn useful. Also, it's said that having a second screen increases productivity by up to 50%.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#57 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 4:08 AM
So what does your setup look like? I'll be honest with you, I can't trust a person with a single-monitor setup to build a competent video game.

I have a keyboard and mouse with extra buttons (Logitech G15, Logi G300) - they're really damn useful. I don't have to enter cheats manually anymore, and that's pretty damn handy in TS3. I just press G8 on the mouse to open the cheat window, then M2 to open the group of Build Mode cheats I've set up, and then G3 to enter disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt on. 3 button presses is all it takes. If you're serious about game development, this is the kind of stuff you might wanna invest in. Besides being awesome, it's damn useful. Also, it's said that having a second screen increases productivity by up to 50%.

Sadly, I only do have one monitor, my parents have a mentality of "if it still works don't bother", they see no need for it as Facebook and Word are all the things they do.
It's definitely going to be a worthwhile investment down the line when I have a working pre alpha alpha, ready, and besides, who knows, I might quit this project later.
I doubt more screen space is going to be worth it, as creating a game is mostly divided into two categories

A. Blindly typing on the keyboard in an effort to build something
B. Testing to see if it actually works

Switching between Unity and Visual Studio on one monitor takes only about 3 seconds.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 7:19 AM
Switching between Unity and Visual Studio on one monitor takes only about 3 seconds.

But imagine it took 0 seconds. Zero seconds every time, for every program you use. Plus, you get to do two things at once. I wasn't sure ahout the benefits of a second screen either, but now that I have one, I'm never going back. They're completely different sizes (Main is a 24" 16:10, secondary is a 19" 5:4), but that doesn't really bother me.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#59 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 9:00 AM

I'll poke in here to say that I've never really cared to blender and actually find it less flexible than I'd prefer. But perhaps I'm growing to accustomed to both Autodesk's 3DS Max and Maya...

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#60 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 11:52 PM
Sadly, I only do have one monitor, my parents have a mentality of "if it still works don't bother", they see no need for it as Facebook and Word are all the things they do.
It's definitely going to be a worthwhile investment down the line when I have a working pre alpha alpha, ready, and besides, who knows, I might quit this project later.
I doubt more screen space is going to be worth it, as creating a game is mostly divided into two categories

A. Blindly typing on the keyboard in an effort to build something
B. Testing to see if it actually works

As a teen who has also done game development I can assure you that an extra monitor is the difference between night and day. I only have two and that almost seems like it isn't enough because you might want the scene, game, animation, and c# all open at once. It makes everything much more efficient and while it may only seem like three seconds to move your mouse, you get sidetracked and you don't see the consequences (whether positive or negative) of the code you edited or created. Now I ain't saying you need like 50 monitors but I can promise you, once you get further into game development, you WILL want an extra.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I'll poke in here to say that I've never really cared to blender and actually find it less flexible than I'd prefer. But perhaps I'm growing to accustomed to both Autodesk's 3DS Max and Maya...

blender is not working on my pc =/, i tried to install it but when initializing the programa just close after some DOS prompt.

i see many peoples using maya more because of MMD programa which they also are using to make animations.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 9:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangesmasher221
As a teen who has also done game development I can assure you that an extra monitor is the difference between night and day.

Everytime I have to use a PC with one monitor now it's just, ew. No. Dude, where's my freedom? You can't be productive on just one screen.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#63 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 4:48 AM

Behind the scenes of Untitled Life Sim project!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#64 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 3:51 PM
Old Progress from the early days
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 10:00 AM
I can work on textures, concept art and UI design. As far as I can see, it's going really well, and basic features are already introduced (though far from perfected). I have been wanting to play that scrapped game, SimVille, for years now, and seeing it being re-made by you is really pleasing. Something in The Sims style but still far different from it, is truly original and refreshing change.

I will also try to learn to use blender. The only 3D program I've used is SketchUP, but I was really god at it. I think I will be able to learn to use blender. Besides, there is really nothing for me to do these days.

I'd also like to discuss some game features, but I think that that would be a lot to write, so I'll hold it for now, and see where it goes.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#66 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I can work on textures, concept art and UI design. As far as I can see, it's going really well, and basic features are already introduced (though far from perfected). I have been wanting to play that scrapped game, SimVille, for years now, and seeing it being re-made by you is really pleasing. Something in The Sims style but still far different from it, is truly original and refreshing change.

I will also try to learn to use blender. The only 3D program I've used is SketchUP, but I was really god at it. I think I will be able to learn to use blender. Besides, there is really nothing for me to do these days.

I'd also like to discuss some game features, but I think that that would be a lot to write, so I'll hold it for now, and see where it goes.

Great! The more people following the progress of the game encourages me to work on it harder. Thanks for the help!
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 8:10 PM
I literally just saw this thread as I never go on this part of the forum and I'm honestly amazed about you taking on a project this big. please what ever you do, try not to abandon this project even if thing get very difficult (or more difficult than it already is). I actually find this very inspirational as I have a habit of abandoning my projects that aren't even big a lot in the past. I'd be so happy for you if you manage to finish this, excited to see the finished product but don't rush it. Good luck with the rest of the project, hope it turns out the way you want it.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 9:20 PM
Planning everything at the beginning is the best way to go around making a game. I'd like to ask how would buildings be implemented in this kind of game. Sims style, SimCity style or something other that's on your mind.?
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 9:46 PM
Maybe next near the end of this year and next year I also gonna be able to help with graphic parts, I'm also start to learn to use maya
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#70 Old 28th Oct 2015 at 7:01 AM Last edited by simmythesim : 28th Oct 2015 at 7:12 AM.
Planning everything at the beginning is the best way to go around making a game. I'd like to ask how would buildings be implemented in this kind of game. Sims style, SimCity style or something other that's on your mind.?

Buildings are very SimCity style currently, Industrial produces goods, Commercial takes those goods, Residential uses those goods and gives money to Commercial, Commercial pays off Industrial with the money, if enough people work and shop, everybody benefits.

Regarding the actual life simulation, I'm planning so you can control a few of the sens in your town, however, the game will be similar to Kudos (which is a casual Life Simulation Game, by the way), where the actions of the sens are not visible in animation, and are mostly represented by sound effects,

With this technique, I can focus more on the depth of the simulation and make some cool things like a "ripple effect", like The Sims 4 promised, so maybe something like this happens,

"Another Sen watching a sports game has his/her team lose, after getting very angry about it, they get into a very severe car crash with other Sens, blocking the road for other vehicles to pass through, however one of the other sens, happens to be your Sen, who has been injured critically and dies on the way due to the car crash, now, the wife/husband of your Sen is in grief, which eventually leads to depression, which causes her to kill herself. After both of his parents gone, your Sens child, grows up to be the a cunning criminal, due to his lack of parental figures during his childhood".

I could go on and on, like why did the team lose in the first place? Why was the ambulance on that road? Maybe there was too much traffic on the other roads. I could go on and on and on about the ripple effect.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 12:08 PM
Yeah, but I'm wondering what are your plans for future of the buildings. Are they going to stay that way, like rabbitholes, or will we be able to build them by ourselves The Sims style? I'm wondering, because I want to know what will I be building.

And also, what quality of graphics do you see for the end product?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#72 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 4:58 PM
Yeah, but I'm wondering what are your plans for future of the buildings. Are they going to stay that way, like rabbitholes, or will we be able to build them by ourselves The Sims style? I'm wondering, because I want to know what will I be building.

And also, what quality of graphics do you see for the end product?

No plans for building buildings at the moment, Build Tools are a very complex thing, with lots of assets required, so while the outsides of the buildings are visible, the interiors will be left to the imagination of the player.
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 29th Oct 2015 at 6:52 PM
Then, what about low medium and density buildings having different characteristics like: number of rooms, building quality, fire hazard, building style... and it would be nice if players could assign rooms and furniture via UI, without visual changes in game, but with significant changes in how it affects "sens".
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#74 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 4:50 AM
Then, what about low medium and density buildings having different characteristics like: number of rooms, building quality, fire hazard, building style... and it would be nice if players could assign rooms and furniture via UI, without visual changes in game, but with significant changes in how it affects "sens".

Actually, that's exactly how I'm planning on handling buildings on the game, not visible but you can still change them.
Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 10:20 AM
I also wonder about the functionality of time. If buildings are placed instantly, it would mean that time could be the same like in Sims, but I would like to see a more realistical aproach.

SimCity has a year/month/day system, so why don't we come up with a shortened year system for SensVille. 4 months would make a year, and 7 days would make a month (I have skipped weeks). That's a total of 28 days per year, making a normal sen's lifespan 1960 days. It sounds long, but time speed controls should justify it.

Normal speed should work like in The Sims, 2x speed should be half an hour per second, 3x speed should be 2 hours per second and 4x speed should be 6 hours per second. That way, you could skip through unnecesarry stuff (like sleeping or work) if you want. Also, it makes possible to speed up the process of town building.

That way, players have a choice if they want to play on individual level, global level or both.

I'll later discuss the town itself.

I still wonder how this can be integrated?

Page 3 of 9