Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 32 (Who?), Viewed: 7934 times.
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 1:28 AM
Default Mermaidia
Hi
I am working on a world for my mermaid-ish buildings and would love to get some feedback on it. It is a small sized CC - free world and it only has a few residential lots - two starter houses, one middle class and two high class. I am also planning to add an empty lot for players to build on, diving lots and the most neccesary commercial lots. (I was thinking about placing the town hall to basement or something)

This is how the world looks like right now.

I have a few questions regarding world building since I am not very experienced in that field (only did landscaping and decorating before)

I have never built any diving lots before so I don't know much about it. I read some tutorials that explained the basics but there are still some things which I wasn't able to find anywhere.
- How about the maps? Can one make it possible to discover new islands with the help of the maps? Or maybe copying all the diving lots from IP and placing them in the custom world would do the trick?
- How many diving lots do I need in order to make it possible for sims to reach lvl 10 in diving?
- Do I need diving lot for every lvl of diving?

Spawners
- What happens If I place all of them and someone who doesn't have some of the Ep's downloads the world? what will happen with the spawners? Will it cause issues? Or simply turn to something from base game?

Sim - made items
- I had the mermaid lots full of sim made items which disappeared after placing the house in CAW. Is there something I can do to prevent this? (I am talking about paintings gem- cuts, shells etc.)

Here are some more pictures:

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 2:27 AM
What a lovely fantasy world! It's wonderful that you are making it without CC, in my opinion. I've made some diving lots and a hidden island - which is what I think you are talking about referring to the maps? I'll try to answer some of your questions. I'm sure others will help, too.
As far as the spawners, my guess would be that, if the player doesn't have that expansion pack, the spawner will just not appear in their game. I'm not sure, though.

- How about the maps? Can one make it possible to discover new islands with the help of the maps? You can make an island into a hidden island. This is the best tutorial I've found about the process: http://modthesims.info/t/506296. Once the hidden island(s) are complete, you choose the method of discovery using the hidden island marker (download at site above). "TreasureHunt - Your sim must find 5 map fragments and put it together..." I have never chosen this method of discovery but I believe that you would need to place all the "sea life/shell/bottle" spawners and/or (maybe) the Digsite - Fragments spawner to be sure players obtain all five fragments. (You might be able to assign a map fragment as a treasure in a treasure chest/tomb, also.)
Or maybe copying all the diving lots from IP and placing them in the custom world would do the trick? I don't believe this will work as the land contours are not the same. I've always made dive lots from scratch custom for the world. This is a helpful dive lot tutorial: http://simsvip.com/sims-3-island-pa...ting-dive-lots/
- How many diving lots do I need in order to make it possible for sims to reach lvl 10 in diving? Actually, I think it is just a process of repetition to increase diving skills. A least a couple of lots would be nicer / more variety for the sims, though. Three skill levels are set for each dive lot - diving skill level to access the dive lot, skill level to access the underwater cave, and skill level to access underwater treasure chest.
- Do I need diving lot for every lvl of diving? See above. Sims can obtain level 1 of diving skill using the swimming pool/snorkeling, I think. They can also take classes but I'm not sure how many diving skill levels they can obtain this way.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to your progress on this fabulous little world!
Theorist
#3 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 10:06 AM
Outlandish! I love unique hoods like this...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 11:12 AM
Crowkeeper you're back! I love this concept for a world with your fantastical mermaid lots!

Dive lots are fiddly. I don't think people have had a lot of success importing ones from IP. If you are building your own, I think the important advice is that after you place a lot and flatten it to the ocean floor, you want to save the game, exit to the main menu, and reload the save before you add anything to the lot. The SimsVIP tutorial that Simmy linked to is a good one. I think I have another, but I will have to find it.

Can you add your lots to the world after you leave CAW? I mean place empty lots in CAW, then place your completed lots later?

I want to remind you that in the Create forums there are sections for building and also for CAW. You might have more help posting questions in those sections. I know Simsample and Volvenom are frequently in the Create>Sims 3 Creation>building forum. Both of them are experienced world builders. Good luck!
Theorist
#5 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 9:21 PM
Uploading a savegame with the extra tweaks such as sim-made items and fog emitters would be a good idea for his hood.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 10:19 PM
Are all of those plant textures edited in INI files? You should try to change ambience lighting and add custom moon or completely remove it, maybe even change it's size. Sun can be changed too. I liked playing with ini files, but sometimes it can get quite borked.

The most interesting thing I made with ini files is planet with 3 hrs of sunlight. The planet was intended for plant-Sims, but I don't know how would that affect them. I never found the time to try it out. I still have the world though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 12:34 AM
SimmyRN - Thank you so very much for answering most of my questions! I saw the tutorial by simsvip before but haven't found the second one I am so happy that it is possible to make the "uncharted islands" I tried making my first dive lot but it is so incredibly boringI wish someone would make a mod to allow building underwater:P

attuned - Thank you for your advice Attuned I will make sure to post in that section next time

Tizerist - I am happy you like the world It's a bit crazy heheSharing a savegame is an amazing idea! that would solve the problem

Mixa97sr - ehm, I am not sure? I edited the img.files is that considered ini? I am sorry I am not sure what you are asking But these are all recolours.

Yep I agree the weather files need work. But I am lucky because Nilxis made these for me It has the "shimmering effect" from Egypt which makes it look like the world is underwater. But for some reason it appears correctly in caw and "edit in town" but once exported the effect doesn't appear only the colours so I will have to find out what I am doing wrong before I show you guys It once appeared when I saved and reentered the game but never afer that. In worst case I will give up the effect and just make some crazy colorful weather (I do have some experience with it after making the ini files for middle-earth. But still can't work much with the fog)

I have been thinking about replacing the moon texture but still can't decide what style of moon I would like to have. I even considered the fairy-taleish moon with a faceI would welcome any ideas here:D

Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:05 AM
I don't really know, but maybe the shimmering effect doesn't appear because the temperature is not high enough. Perhaps you have the world set in winter or spring. But it appeared in Egypt way before seasons was released, so I don't know how this works... A colorful weather would look nice too

Btw, you already know I love this world, keep up the great work!

Find my stuff and interact with me here:
Nilxis Designs - Simblr
Inventor
#9 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 2:49 AM Last edited by SimmyRN : 29th Jun 2016 at 2:00 AM.
There is a certain process that must be followed to retain the weather files with a CAW world - "NOTE: If you then save the world in CAW, the game will discard the ini files but the colour ramps will remain. This can cause undesirable graphical glitches such as unnatural colours, unnaturally dark world, transparent water, unnatural glow or a foggy veil. Be sure to re-import the INI files again if you save the world in CAW, and again before exporting the world!" More information is in this thread: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments.

Nilxis explained this really well in another creator thread (in this case the creator wanted to use Sunlit Tides weather) Thanks Nilxis!

"Originally Posted by Nilxis

About the custom lightning files, you can get Sunlit Tides' files here: https://cawster.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/sunlit-tides/
To import the INI files and the color ramps into your world, you have to use S3PE. Open the .world file of your world in S3PE and then select Resource>Import>From file and select the Sunlit Tides files you downloaded. Save and when you open CAW you will see the difference. Keep in mind that everytime you save your world in CAW the custom lighning files get deleted. You can import them again as many times as you wish, just make sure to import them before you export the world, then they will appear always in the game. Any more information on weather files can be found here: http://modthesims.info/t/459198"
Theorist
#10 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:36 PM Last edited by tizerist : 28th Jun 2016 at 7:46 PM.
It would be good to play this as a completely uninhabited place. Like, only the playable family will be there, plus the aquatic creatures.
If it has a total of 6 lots (on land), I'll probably make it have a city hall lot, a base camp, a couple of residential lots, and a random community lot or two..
It's really eerie. I love the magenta / green colour of it too.

#BlairWitchPetition
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 2:57 PM Last edited by Crowkeeper : 29th Jun 2016 at 3:08 PM.
Nilxis - high temperature triggers the effect only around the edges of the world
I have been testing it some more and It does always appear after saving the world and opening the save but it will dissapear again after entering build/buy mode. But please do not mind this...I know you are busy right now Enjoy your vacation

SimmyRN - Oh I spent so many days with that thread when I was adjusting my first ini filesIt seems that I explained it badly. I do not have a problem with importing the files. I have a problem with this effect: http://modthesims.info/t/386817 not showing up in game.
As I mentioned above it shows only after loading the game from a save but disappears when using build/buy/edit in town

Screenshots

Alchemist
#12 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 3:38 PM
Wow! Now it looks like as it's underwater.
I'd suggest you to add some fog - then the horizon won't be so distant. Which will make the water look more real. You know, you can't see much underwater.
Oh and with fog, I don't mean the hidden island fog, I mean the one which you can set in INI files.

But this really looks stunning! I can't wait to play in this world!

As for the heatwaves, prior to Seasons, it was possible to add them to a world.
But now they don't show up. Or they don't show up correctly.

They actually only show up in-game if the temperature reaches 33C / 91F. And that's not possible to set in CAW. But you can set the game to summer only and disable weather. Then you'll have heatwaves every day.

Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods
Winter Wonderland is available here
My Simblr
My 2015 Yearbook Entry
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 3:57 PM
Quote:
As for the heatwaves, prior to Seasons, it was possible to add them to a world.
But now they don't show up. Or they don't show up correctly.

Oh no I had no idea. But thank you very much for the info. Now I can stop searching for solutions and get some work done.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 4:05 PM
Damn Seasons!
I agree with Jawusa that some fog would make it look more like underwater

Find my stuff and interact with me here:
Nilxis Designs - Simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 4:50 PM
There is also option somewhere in ini files that allows you to remove the clear boundary between water and sky. Or, if you already want to make it look underwater, you could completely remove water and further decorate the ocean bottom.
Theorist
#16 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 4:26 PM
Will you put Kraken into this hood?

#BlairWitchPetition
Instructor
#17 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 5:40 PM
Wow, this world is stunning!

To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Get rid of that gnome in your pictures and eat some new cereal!

My Website/Blog, Princess Pretty Sims!
My Tumblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 1:39 AM
Quote:
Will you put Kraken into this hood?

Oh I would definitely love that I will try to find how to do that
Quote:
Damn Seasons!
I agree with Jawusa that some fog would make it look more like underwater

I will make sure to add some once I start working on the ini files
Quote:
There is also option somewhere in ini files that allows you to remove the clear boundary between water and sky. Or, if you already want to make it look underwater, you could completely remove water and further decorate the ocean bottom.

That would save so many probleeeeems. But it would mean no dibing spots and I don't want that Plus this far into the project I am not willing to do that. It would mean starting all over again
Quote:
Wow, this world is stunning!

Thank you

Update
I HATE water taxis. Not only they look terrible but they are also incredibly stupid. They keep getting stuck for no apparent reason and the sims are using them without a real need. I tried to google these problems and found out that I am definitely not alone in this and that there is a whole big Water taxi hating community:D
I haven't find a way to avoid problems with water taxis or any mod which would disable them completely.

I tried to connect all the parts of the islands with these "swirls" in the sea. They are all walkable routable everything. There shouldn't really be a reason for sims to go to the ocean unless they are visiting the port. I also added invisible paths to navigate the sims better. But they keep using the taxis:/

Also added a cemetery:

Here is a plan on how the mermaidish graves could look like:

I also played with the cloud texture and came up with this: (It is an old picture but the texture is nicely visible here)

Here is how the world looks like now:

Scholar
#19 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 2:09 AM
That cemetery is amazing! I don't know what goes on in your brain, but it's pure genius!!!
Inventor
#20 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 4:18 AM
I did some looking and there seem to be two factors that affect the kraken appearing in game. One is depth of the ocean. The other is, perhaps, a boat sitting idle for a certain amount of time before the kraken appears. It was also suggested that there needed to be quite a bit of open water but someone else discounted that. I know that I changed the sea level and manually made the streams/oceans much deeper in my re-make of the Riverview Lite world. I saw the kraken swimming by while I was play testing my houseboats by piloting them around in the harbor/bay. I don't know if my sim had been sitting idle long enough in the houseboat to trigger the kraken or it appeared randomly. I believe that how deep you can make the ocean depends on which height map used - 100, 200, or 300. I'd suggest making your oceans as deep as you can to be sure the kraken appears. It would add a lot to your beautiful world!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 7:48 AM
Absolutely fantastic! Love how the cemetery turned out!

As for the Kraken, it appeared in my world when my sim was on a harbour lot fishing and then it vanished into the harbour wall... So, no need to sit in a boat and wait, I guess it is just random.

One of the NRAAS mods, GoHere , allows to disable usage of boats for routing. Maybe this helps with your problem? Also, sometimes placing "invisible" sidewalks helps with routing as well. Sims prefer to walk on sidewalks instead of taking the shortest way.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 1:12 PM
I hate that the water is always routable, no matter what you do.

You could block out certain areas around the paths, and leave only those where you want your sims getting in the water. But I don't know how will that work with the paths that are underwater...

Also, considering that the entrance path to the cemetery looks like water, you could possibly place waterfalls between those vertically placed rocks, to make it look like the water is spilling down. It would be loud, though, and cemeteries should be quiet... You could also do it with the terrain, but such method is quite messy.
Theorist
#23 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:05 PM
Love the new pics. And yeah, the NRaas GoHere mod deals with water taxis, but not completely. The new (unreleased so far I think) version is supposed to wipe them out totally though

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#24 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:37 PM
I'm in awe!! This is amazing Crow!

Building a Middle Earth world for Sims 3 sims3medieval.tumblr.com/tagged/CAWLOTR :-)
Do you have a simblr? If so, I would love to connect :-) http://sims3medieval.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 2:45 PM
this looks amazing i can't believe you did all this without cc!
Page 1 of 2