Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Hell, if good computers cost $430 I'd be getting myself a new one every other month.

A $430 computer should be more than capable of running the sims on high graphics settings in it's current state. the problem is the kids playing it on $150/$200 netbooks :\

My $900 custom build is capable of playing Ark on full graphics so I imagine a $400-$500 store bought should be sufficient for a single-player Sims game, even if they ramped up the texture and mesh quality a bit.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
I play Sims VR everyday. Except it aint virtual and there's no cheat code. It's called life.

So yeah, why would I wanna experience that all over again in first person when I got home?

You definitely have a point there.

Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Blergh, so we go from chaining us to one family in Sims 3 to chaining us to one single Sim in Sims 5?

No thank you!

EA, listen up: NOT everyone uses their sims as wish-fulfillment avatars, so stop doing stuff like that!

But seriously that can't be more than a rumour (hopefully, please!) I mean how is VR first person build mode supposed to work?

I thought Simcity online was just a rumor too though.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Mad Poster
#28 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 9:18 PM
If we're going to have a Sims game in VR, it'll look something like this.

Though obviously the graphics would be more Sims-like. Since VR is so incredibly demanding, I don't see it looking any better than TS4 even on NASA-grade PCs.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#29 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 10:35 PM
Though obviously the graphics would be more Sims-like. Since VR is so incredibly demanding, I don't see it looking any better than TS4 even on NASA-grade PCs.

TBH, this is pretty advanced graphics wise compared to what we'd get form EA if they moved Sims to VR. Look at what they gave us for PC...
Theorist
#30 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 3:39 AM
If we're going to have a Sims game in VR, it'll look something like this.

That's about how I was worried the build mode and gameplay would work. It looks absolutely terrible (and no, not talking about the graphics, but the UI and the way you use it) and impractical. And the only trade off for all that clumsiness would be a gimmick (VR) that just doesn't fit the Sims all that well.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 4:20 AM
Honestly, I've seen people play "The Sims 5" on Youtube , but I don't think its that legit or interesting.
Scholar
#32 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 10:00 AM
I don't think VR is the future for every game genre. It makes sense in 1st person based games, where VR finally can give you a natural field of view (which is a larger angle then normally shown in 1st person games). I would really like that in certain games.

But in a sims like game it would at best be a nice gimmick. Where you can view your new built house from 1st person perspective (I would like this as feature). But the moment you start hopping from sim to sim in VR mode (them all being in motion), you probably end up getting sick I also don't really care about VR for games with a top down perspective. VR also always has the drawback of not being able to just walk away to get a drink or something (actually, finding your rl drink while in VR is a problem too ).

I still see major issues with VR. Any action game that requires you to be very mobile and have you look around all the time and react fast etc (think first person shooter for example) just asks for neck injuries with the current wired bulky gear. And the discrepancy between the movement ingame compared to irl will easily cause motion sickness and disorientation. I suspect that the more convincing the VR experience becomes, the more your body will really want to jump, run, kick (poor furniture). So I am curious about the future solutions they will come up to counter this. But atm, VR feels mostly like a gimmick to me. Nice experience, but atm in most cases not really adding much.
Instructor
#33 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:46 AM
VR is for immersion in a first person enviroment...why the hell would you use it for a third person game in which you micromanage multiple people, mythological creatures, robots and animals?
Mad Poster
#34 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 10:18 AM
I don't know, but I've surely wanted to explore my Sims' world in virtual reality. You have to keep in mind that things look completely different from ground level than from way up there. That's why many modern cities are so unintuitive to navigate, and it's why it's so hard to judge distances and sizes in third-person tycoon/building games.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#35 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 1:30 PM
I don't know, but I've surely wanted to explore my Sims' world in virtual reality. You have to keep in mind that things look completely different from ground level than from way up there..

That's why every time I build a house I go into tab camera mode, lower it to ~ the height of a sim's eyes, adjust the FoV to something comfortable and float around the house I've just built.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 1:53 PM
I like playing in windowed mode so I can browse the internet, etc. at the same time. Don't think VR would suit me.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I like playing in windowed mode so I can browse the internet, etc. at the same time. Don't think VR would suit me.

That's what borderless windowed mode is for. It's like full-screen, only you can take your mouse out of the window.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#38 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 3:26 PM
We don't know If we gonna have The Sims 5 and how it would turn on, which might as well turn us off (lol, twice a word) from that virtual reality experence. When talking about the sims series and VR, I don't see this two working well along in practise. It might just end up being mudance and not that awesome.

You also have to consider stuff like rabbit holes and, dare I say it woohoo (the likelyhood of it being PG-13 game, the camera in there would also be zoomed and we would only be staring at the dancing bed with something hidden in the bedsheets). As walking into buildings and non-active, I can only see exclusive animation/cut-scenes happening in there, but that it's. Going to a bathroom, in the game, you would either have to stare at poor or uninteresting phone or just take off that head gear (probably has the term, but I'm not expertise in this type of technology) and play it normally with a keyboard and mouse until your sim stops taking a dumb/pissing so that you put it on again. And really, If it's closed open world - not that fun be playing as much as It it would be on TS3. Nontheless, I still don't see being much a success (I feel only below 30% of our community playing).
Alchemist
#39 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
So I got curious and started looking to see if there were any speculations about the Sims 5 yet. According to a few websites, it's rumored to utilize Virual Reality.

I'm kind of taking what the articles say with a grain of salt, since many of them (including the one in the link) include fallacies such as the game having a 2017 release date and The Sims 1 being released in 2002

Regardless, I'm hoping that the VR speculation isn't anything more than a rumor. I personally don't like the idea of it, and lord knows how expensive the game would be if it turned out to be in VR. If they do decide to go that route, I'd at least want them to still have a third-person option instead of making the game solely VR.

What do you guys think?

I think there might not even be a Sims 5
Theorist
#40 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I think there might not even be a Sims 5

*cough*
Instructor
#41 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
*cough*

Well guess there isn't going to be a Sims 5 then. Because Sims 4 is a mess.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 6:01 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 4th Oct 2017 at 6:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Well guess there isn't going to be a Sims 5 then. Because Sims 4 is a mess.
You mean it's been a huge financial loss for EA? Because that is what they meant.

In July 2017, Andrew Wilson, the chief executive officer said,
Quote:
“Q1 was an outstanding quarter, with thriving player communities in our top franchises like Battlefield, our EA SPORTS portfolio, Star Wars, and The Sims continuing to grow our network and drive our digital business."

and the company noted this:
Quote:
Monthly active players for The Sims 4 on PC increased more than 20% year-over-year.

Source

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 9:08 AM
Which is why the whole "There won't be a The Sims 5" thing is stupid and useless. Yes, there will and it's been like that from day one.

insert signature here
Theorist
#44 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:22 AM
Yeah, there will be a Sims 5. Grant was just pissy in that thread because somebody posted their wishes for Sims 5 just after (or was it a few days before?) the release of Sims 4.

The only questions are:

1) How soon can we get it and leave Sims 4 behind in the dust?
2)Will it be a worthwhile, proper Sims game again, like Sims 1 and 2 were?
Mad Poster
#45 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:31 PM
I saw that comment differently and it didn't look pissy to me. The problem is that we were only looking at text and it's easy to miss a person's meaning without hearing the tone of their voice or without accompanying facial expression or gestures. In the absense of that, people read meaning into text. I tried to look at it at face value and took Grant's comment to mean that they wanted to focus on Sims 4 for now and, frankly, if S4 had bombed in a big way, EA might not have wanted to invest any resources in a S5 because they probably would have concluded that interest in Sims had passed.

Theorist
#46 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I saw that comment differently and it didn't look pissy to me. The problem is that we were only looking at text and it's easy to miss a person's meaning without hearing the tone of their voice or without accompanying facial expression or gestures. In the absense of that, people read meaning into text. I tried to look at it at face value and took Grant's comment to mean that they wanted to focus on Sims 4 for now and, frankly, if S4 had bombed in a big way, EA might not have wanted to invest any resources in a S5 because they probably would have concluded that interest in Sims had passed.

Yeah, that meaning is exactly the problem Terre. People are upset about the comment because it means that if Sims 4 failed they would just take it as lack of interest rather than taking the time now to listen to people's complaints and ideas about how to make it successful. Essentially he was backing people into a corner preventing them from protesting the bad content by voting with their wallets, while at the same time actively refusing to listen to what people actually want, or why they're upset.

It wasn't because "he said it with a pissy attitude" it's because what he said shows he has a pissy attitude towards loyal fans who are just trying to share ideas to get the game they want and help the franchise do better.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
It wasn't because "he said it with a pissy attitude" it's because what he said shows he has a pissy attitude towards loyal fans who are just trying to share ideas to get the game they want and help the franchise do better.
I understand what you're saying and EA listening to fans would be great, but to be fair, not everyone is saying the same thing. Their attempts at listening are by their surveys and collection of numbers. I keep thinking they've missed some golden opportunities by not listening more to certain focus groups of dedicated Simmers who have loved different Sims games in the past (please bring back Sims 1!), but it's so hard for me to tell that sitting here and reading what I do on this website because it sure feels like an echo chamber. That gives us a bit of a skewed perspective.

Theorist
#48 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 3:00 PM

To me the wording definitely sounded angry, and tbh I can understand that anger. If you had just finished something under a stressful deadline caused by a last minute gameplay change (online to offline) and the first feedback you get from your fanbase is "Well this is trash, here is what you should do for the next try" then pretty much everyone would lose their cool (no matter how justified that criticism is)

A better reply would have been more along the lines of "Sims 5? Just wait for all the cool things we have in store for 4!" instead of "Well if you don't buy this installment there won't be another!"
Mad Poster
#49 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 4:15 PM
A better reply would have been more along the lines of "Sims 5? Just wait for all the cool things we have in store for 4!" instead of "Well if you don't buy this installment there won't be another!"
No doubt, that would have been better! My impression of Grant is that he's very direct and not exactly socially aware. Sounds like many geeks I know, so I try not to judge....

Mad Poster
#50 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 5:15 PM
My impression of Grant is that he's very direct and not exactly socially aware. Sounds like many geeks I know, so I try not to judge....

That's something I personally identify with, so I can't really blame him for it. The point is, "stupid" people and their questions are REALLY fucking easy to get mad at. So even a professional community handler or someone who is generally expected to involve with the community may get a little pissy when asked questions that are entirely inappropriate, if not a bit obvious.
And trust me, there's no fan community better at asking stupid fucking questions than The Sims's. Not that I don't agree with the sentiment - let's get TS4 over with please.
1) How soon can we get it and leave Sims 4 behind in the dust?
2)Will it be a worthwhile, proper Sims game again, like Sims 1 and 2 were?

Well a bit of simple extrapolation on my part revealed that if they were to continue the trend of previous Sims games, which I strongly suspect they won't, The Sims 5 would be announced in the first half of next year.

The second thing depends on way too many factors to be drawing any conclusions about it right now. This issue reminds me somewhat of part of Star Trek's history.
Basically, the thing with Star Trek was that when the original movies were coming out, every even-numbered one was good and every odd-numbered one was kind of lame. The lamest of them all, The Final Frontier, came out in '89 right after two lacklustre seasons of the new show, The Next Generation had just aired. So the studio cut the budgets and made the producers have to improvise a ton.
It would be logical (insert Spock here) to conlude that at this point, the entire franchise would go down the gutter. But as The Next Generation continued on, and when The Undiscovered Country came out in '91, the whole thing was back up again and the '90s would prove to be Star Trek's strongest decade to date. Then, the 00s again saw a similar situation but with Discovery airing right now things seem to be headed in the right direction.

So to say that TS4 will be the downfall of The Sims is not only premature but also unwise. Because we have some reason to assume it, but not all. We know that the devs would probably like to do better, but they can't because they're not getting the resources to do it. A large part of Star Trek's issue was not getting the resources to do it properly, plus a whole bunch of inconvenient coincidences that seriously decreased the quality of the final product.

insert signature here
Page 2 of 4