Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 7:59 PM
Default Neighborhood, Megahood, and Uberhood ...
In the past I've have never played more than 1 hood at a time, and most times that was Pleasantview. However, I'm curious first off what is the difference between a mega hood and an uber hood? Just the name? And second, how does one go about making it/ them?

Do you just add shopping districts to your mainhood? Or is there more stuff that needs to be done?

Reason I'm askin is that I am very close to bein done with sortin my CC folders and at that time I was goin to play Marka93's Beginnin Pleasantivew. Then I started thinkin of maybe playin all the Beginnin ones together as he does have them as shoppin districts.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 8:10 PM
You choose which neighborhood will be your main hood - the one that you click to access the whole - and add the shopping district versions of the neighborhoods you want to play as well.

A Megahood is any hood made in this way using shopping districts that were originally main hoods. So Widespot + Riverblossom Hills is a Megahood, even though it's relatively small, while Widespot + Downtown + Bluewater Village + LGU is just a hood, even though it's much bigger than the other example, because everything added was only ever a subhood.

An Uberhood is assumed to be All the Maxis Neighborhoods. It would also be fair to use the term for a non-maxis megahood made up of a complete set of a bunch of neighborhoods that can be defined as a whole in some way. For instance, if you took all the Beginning of Neighborhoods and combined them, you would be justified in calling it a Beginning of Uberhood, rather than a Megahood.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 8:12 PM
I think the difference between megahood and uberhood is timing. The first megahoods came out with all the then-existing pre-made neighborhoods. Then EA released Apartment Life, and a new name was needed for the megahood plus Belladonna: thus uberhood. I'm not sure anyone really draws much of a line between them after this many years, though, I play I guess an uberhood plus Widespot and LGU, and I call it a megahood most of the time because I don't have an umlaut for the u and it drives me bonkers. (Yeah, I'm wired wrong. This is not news.)

I use Tarlia's fixed neighborhoods, so I don't have broken premade ghosts and other as-shipped-screwups, like the Curious-Smith twins not being related to their half-brothers and half-sister properly. They get placed as shopping/downtown/university/vacation/hidden templates, each in the proper location, and hooked up. Because I use an aging mod, I then took and fixed the ages, then copied the entire shebang so that when I want to restart it's drop and play. If you like playing combined hoods, tend to restart, and use mods that require/benefit from fiddling in some way or need to do specific makeovers on some/all sims before starting play, I highly recommend backing up your finished start-point like that because otherwise you have to redo all the fiddly non-playing bits.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 8:26 PM
*giggles* So before I made the post I did try gogglin some. I just now looked at what it pulled up and I got this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwul8HMpCP8 as one of the options ... lol.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 9:16 PM
Regardless of whether you're making a megahood or an uberhood, you should use Tarlia's fixed templates - they are the safest and least corrupted versions, much more so than the original megahood uploads on MTS.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 10:25 PM
Why would those be better than using Marka93's Beginning hoods? I saw meetme's, but I want to start with the ancestors from the very beginning.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 10:36 PM
She means for the Maxis neighborhoods. Other Maxis Megahoods available for download were created before we knew as much as we do now about corruption and are less clean than Tarlia's.

For player-made neighborhoods, all the Beginning Of line are similarly clean, as are all of the HBG's neighborhoods (and, ahem, Widespot) and the subhoods made from them.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 3:55 AM
I've been playing Marka's beginning hoods of Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville, Riverblossom and Desiderata. One thing i've done is for alot of them ive moved in 2 families together to bring the number of households that i have to play down for the 1st generation since they're alot of them.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 4:04 AM
LOL .. I was thinkin of doin 4 in one at least until they started havin kids.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 8:17 AM Last edited by gazania : 28th Feb 2017 at 8:51 PM.
Great timing! I have a question about a megahood.

I am still contemplating combining RIverblossom (main hood) and Desiderata Valley (shopping district ... I don't do downtowns). I'm envisioning some sleepy town with a busier artist/hobby district. But I do have a question about the names being different: MUST they be changed? I thought I read somewhere that memories might be affected if you don't. I'd be reluctant to have to change all those names because with my superior memory, I'd probably miss a couple. I personally have no problem with Morty Roth being Sam Smith. I chose those two neighborhoods BECAUSE I have no real history with them, so the name changes would not be jarring. As for whether Castor Nova becomes Johnny Pimpernel ... again, no real concern to me. The problem is: is it of concern to the game?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 3:03 PM
Um, what? I have never heard of this, never read anyone playing a megahood who changed the names, and can think of no reason to change names in the codes.

The pre-existing NPCs and townies in subhoods will be changed by the game, automatically, and it's perfectly safe to change them back, even if they already have memories attached to them, like Kaylynn in Pleasantview. Memories are anchored to an unchanging number associated with a character, which is why, when sims change their names on marriage, the married name suddenly appears on memories acquired all the way back to when they were born.

If you want to change the names, that's fine, too, but it sounds like a lot of work and the game is indifferent to the process.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 7:23 PM
It's the names of the hoods that ideally shouldn't be the same - not everyone in them. You can call everybody John Smith if you like - as Peni said, it's the NID that matters not the name.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 7:37 PM
I personally do change some names. I use the batbox and do it ingame. I change 'Nervous Subject' to 'Olivier Muenda'. I often change the Roths' first names to ancestral names because having them have very nearly the same names as the Goths just irritates me. I change Dina Caliente's last name to Bachelor--she's a widow and it doesn't make sense to me that she'd change it back--Dina is all about social status. Alexandra's last name is Tetherton (I'm not sure if I changed that or if Tarlia did, actually.) I change the satellite Capp families to have the paternal last names. (Dane and Norman.) When I post on here I generally don't use the changed names because people wouldn't know who I was talking about, and the point of posting is to share with others.
But that's a personal choice, and there's absolutely no reason to do so except it makes me happy.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 4:07 AM
Is there a limit to how big a megahood can be? Like, would a base hood, 2 unis, 3 vaca hoods, two shopping districts/subhoods, a downtown, and the stealth hoods be too much? Or is it up to player's discretion?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bkwrm112
Is there a limit to how big a megahood can be? Like, would a base hood, 2 unis, 3 vaca hoods, two shopping districts/subhoods, a downtown, and the stealth hoods be too much? Or is it up to player's discretion?

There is only one more uni and one more shopping district in your example..I don't know much about megahood, but I would think that's ok.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 5:26 AM
You can play an Uberhood with all the premade neighborhoods, two custom neighborhoods, all the vacation hoods, all the stealth hoods, and all the universities. I did it for two years. If there's a limit, no one knows what it is.

Test Subject
#17 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You can play an Uberhood with all the premade neighborhoods, two custom neighborhoods, all the vacation hoods, all the stealth hoods, and all the universities. I did it for two years. If there's a limit, no one knows what it is.

Thanks. I was considering at first of doing 3 smaller megahoods, which I then decided on narrowing to two, but now I think one giant megahood would be great. I just I hope I don't stress myself out with the characters. Time to breakout the spreadsheets!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 11:55 PM
CaliBrat I have had some issue with the Beginning of.... neighborhoods. So, although some are saying they are 'clean' I don't know about that. I re-downloaded and the same issues. Some Sims have no memories of being friends with other Sims and no ability to gain any memory of meeting anyone. I did mention it,but as far as I know, no change was ever made.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 12:44 AM
That doesn't sound like an issue with the hood, that sounds like a mod problem. Do you have any custom content in the game? You might try posting a thread on the Help section or following the troubleshooting guide (found through Help in top menu bar).

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#20 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 12:50 AM
Mom50409, that sounds like you have BO's No Trash Memories installed, a part of his description of the mod says it prevents the "Met Sim" memories from being generated. Why don't you take a look at your downloads folder and see if you have it?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
Mom50409, that sounds like you have BO's No Trash Memories installed, a part of his description of the mod says it prevents the "Met Sim" memories from being generated. Why don't you take a look at your downloads folder and see if you have it?

I do, but I've never had issues with any Neighborhoods other than these. I have Plasticbox's neighborhoods, Polgannon, Pleasantly Thriving and they are all fine. I did report it and crickets. Just wanted to let Calibrat be aware.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 4:38 PM
The more I read in this thread, the more I am considering doing this. I only have 2 main hoods (seriously). Each have only one UNI hood if I recall...not sure about the Downtown(s), but anyway.
My concern would be that some sims might be the same in both Hoods. Since I never planned on combining, and that i loved the look/purpose/story of my graveskeeper Raoul Haunter..he lives in both Aridia & BushVille.
There might be others as well...lol.
What would I do about this?

Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 5:25 PM
They are twins? Change their first names? Or one is the real one and the other one is a raving mad stalker
Mad Poster
#24 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 5:44 PM
I thought about the twins idea, after i posted..that could be cute even.
But for other sims..I'll see.

Forum Resident
#25 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 11:08 PM
If I am reading this right, then I've always (until this current game) played a Megahood. I would link everything my games prompted to me to link:
Neighborhood, 3 Universities, 3 Vacation destinations, 1 Shopping district and 1 Downtown.
Thought I guess it wouldn't really count as a Megahood since none of my Sims ever lived Downtown or in the Shopping District. Until recently, I didn't know they could. I thought those places were where the unplayable Townies lived.

I remember seeing a post about changing a main hood to another type of hood and thought about making my current neighborhood into a Vacation hood down the line. Then I read that doing so would make my current Sims unplayable. Are there any restrictions that come with converting a regular neighborhood into a Shopping District or a Downtown?

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Page 1 of 2