Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:24 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Aug 2017 at 11:07 PM.
I'm worse than you ... I thought "tgat' was some sort of super-"seekret" Sim PE or mesh term or something.

On a fluffier note: I really love when creators make new things for my Simmies to do without using custom NPCs. When I see what new goodies Michelle, Sophie-David, Crisps and Kerosene, Amaryll and other people at PBK and here come up with, it's all I can do to kick whomever's on my gaming machine off (unfortunately, the crowd at that machine seems heavier than usual lately, which is delaying me in other respects), back up my game, and give the new shiny a test run. Also included: sliders. Ooh, sliders.

After years of CC, I've slowed down on hair, skintones, furniture, decor, eye sets, makeup, plants, terrain and clothes. But shinies like the ones made by creators like the ones in the above paragraph are too hard to resist.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:59 PM
@gazania, your willpower is better than mine. Hairs especially are my downloading weakness. Even if I'm tired and decide not finish downloading the twenty tabs I have open, I'll at least grab the hairs before I bookmark the rest of the pages. As for decor, well, just this past weekend I was sorting some of my new downloads when I realized that I had download some posters of reagents for an occult magic shop. I don't have any sims with an occult shop and none of my witches have any plans to start one (they're too busy starting up Sammantha Cordial's criminal enterprise). Yet, at the time, it seemed imperative to download, just in case.

Anyway, I appreciate all the creators out there who've played/looked at TS3 or TS4 and decided 'I need that for TS2.' Seriously, just the TS3/TS4 to TS2 hair conversions alone could make any simmer happy, but the amount of clothes, objects, and furniture set conversions out there almost makes you forget the fact that it's almost been a decade since the last TS3 expansion. So thanks to all the creators who convert stuff.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#53 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:04 PM
Thanks for this thread. Reading the replies is good feedback. Several people have mentioned a lot of the things I do in my uploads, so hopefully that means I do some things right

I appreciate good detailed screenshots. Knowing how annoying screenshots are to actually do, I really do appreciate it when someone takes the time to do it thoroughly. My idea of thorough good screenshots seem to be defined differently than some people. I don't care for fancy staged shots or creative shots. I want to see what it is I am downloading, from all angles. No bells or whistles, just straight up here is what this looks like. Good lighting, good distance (not too far, not too close), and straight up without weird poses. For lots I want an overhead view screenshot that includes the ENTIRE lot. So many do foundation or house only. I want to see how the house is placed in relation to the lot borders, and to the garden and anything else you put on there. Just floor plan of the building is not enough for me. And so often outfits are lacking the back of the outfit, as if somehow that isn't part of the outfit.

Lot-wise I appreciate CC free lots, or CC minimal. But it's not just the number of CC items, it's the kind of CC. If the same thing can be done with maxis content, I don't want it. I have my own CC, I don't want your fifteen picture recolors and your carpet recolor and your slightly different curtains. I get that lot would look different with maxis stuff, and that you might not be able to create the vision you had in mind without your CC. That's fine, you do you, but I'm not going to download it because I don't need fifteen picture recolors, five carpets and matching curtains. I have my own, and I would prefer to use the ones I already have that I have gone over and decided that I want in my game. So that kind of CC is a deal breaker for me. But if it's something that's actually needed and can't be achieved without (invisible fences for apartments with foundations and back yards etc) then absolutely, I will consider downloading a lot with CC.

As already mentioned by someone, I like clothing that is not slaved. Yes, it saves space, but it's so rare for me to want the same color schemes for several ages. To me, teens don't tend to dress in the same colors as their parents, and their parents don't dress the same as their parents. It very very rarely ends up saving space, instead it ends up forcing me to use things I don't want just so I can use the things I do want, which clogs up the clothing menu. I am more okay with slaving for objects, but only of it's slaved to maxis objects, or very specific common sets like Jonesi bed blanket. I am okay with having that one even though I don't want it, because there are so many things slaved to it that it doesn't get that annoying.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#54 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
What I really appreciate is when a hair creator makes an effort to adapt their hair to different ages. Nook does this, for instance. A grown woman hair style might not fit a toddler or a child, and simply scaling it down to fit a smaller head does not make it appealing. So when i download hair, if it says all ages...I'm wary.

And I thought I was the only one. I've deleted nearly every single toddler and child hair stage of every hair I've ever downloaded. Even some of Nouk's though I agree she does make the effort.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#55 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 12:10 AM
Even if it doesn't really fit, it's nice to have the option available.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#56 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
And so often outfits are lacking the back of the outfit, as if somehow that isn't part of the outfit.

Seconded! And ditto for hair. I really appreciate creators who take previews of hair from multiple angles. Sometimes you can infer what the back is like but only the creator really knows if this hair that looks like a simple part ends in an crazy updo or a buzz cut, ya know?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#57 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 9:46 PM
I also appreciate when creators Compressorize their files before uploading.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#58 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I also appreciate when creators Compressorize their files before uploading.

I am SO guilty of this..I didn't know I could. lol So, thank you for reminding me.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#59 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 11:51 PM
Although in the past I've stated that I don't like when creators upload their CC with their names in multiple CC files, I recently did download a file, and tried to find it again here-by the name that was on the file..which wasn't the creator's name-more like a nickname, in order to ask them if they'd done another file which I could use.

So I do appreciate proper names on files when you're downloading..it would have saved me a little bit of trouble to find that file again.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#60 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Although in the past I've stated that I don't like when creators upload their CC with their names in multiple CC files, I recently did download a file, and tried to find it again here-by the name that was on the file..which wasn't the creator's name-more like a nickname, in order to ask them if they'd done another file which I could use.

So I do appreciate proper names on files when you're downloading..it would have saved me a little bit of trouble to find that file again.

Maybe I should change my MTS username to Rosie..or rename my files to Rosebine...or not.
Both are nicknames I've been given within the years.
I guess you can't please everyone!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:09 AM
Well, Rosie and Rosebine are similar enough that if you search Ros.... you'll get them both. I'd think that having vastly different names (like if you called yourself Poinsetta in the file name) would be different.

Mad Poster
#62 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:12 AM
Poinsetta...lol now that was funny.
Yes, you are right. This thread is very useful, but tends to make me paranoid.

Mad Poster
#63 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:36 AM
It's not a matter of paranoia, but sometimes if one downloads a file, and cannot remember who the creator was (because it was through a secondary link), it makes the search a bit harder.
But I appreciate all the hard work creators of CC and programs do to make this game better than it was.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#64 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Poinsetta...lol now that was funny..

One of my villagers in Animal Crossing was selling me a poinsetta as I was typing that post.

Mad Poster
#65 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It's not a matter of paranoia, but sometimes if one downloads a file, and cannot remember who the creator was (because it was through a secondary link), it makes the search a bit harder.
But I appreciate all the hard work creators of CC and programs do to make this game better than it was.

Well, I meant for me, as a creator who now began to upload/share my creations with the world. Everything I ever created was for me only, the naming of my files, the silly object descriptions etc..
This thread is quite helpful, because it let me know what downloaders appreciate in the CC they download, but it also makes me paranoid at times, or I should say, it makes me think too much maybe. I'll never be able to please every each one of them, but I might find compromises I am comfortable with.

Mad Poster
#66 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 3:03 AM
Rosebine, I think the point is for you to see how other people do it, and then adapting their style to yours if you find their methods useful. No one is saying that "you should do this or that" in regards to naming files or whatever it is. It's just how that person prefers to do it or what they prefer to see.

I usually don't rename files, because I prefer being able to relocate them - and that's why I like it when people name their files sensibly. But since there are about as many ways to name files as there are creators for TS2, I'm guessing we won't reach a consensus on what's the one and only way anytime soon.

How the filename is structured is up to the person making the item, but I consider good naming to follow a few basic criteria, of which I usually follow for my own files:
- "Mesh" as a separate word (-mesh, mesh-, _MESH_, or anything like this) in all mesh files for CAS and objects, for easier locating.
- no spaces or special characters (alphanumeric and _- only)
- The creator's name in the files (for easier locating)
- Filenames are short enough (so the game can read them even when subfoldered), but not so short they risk getting overwritten (like "dog.package" or "1r.package", both real examples)
- Some part of the filename should be descriptive (if the item is a deco horse, the word "horse" should be somewhere in the filename).
Forum Resident
#67 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 4:55 AM
One thing I appreciate that I realized recently- painting recolors on non-expensive Maxis paintings. I use more recolors than custom objects, and for some reason, most of the recolors I come across use City SkySkape or A Stroke or some other painting that will set my sims back thousands of dollars. Especially recolors for children's rooms. Who puts a $4000 painting in a nursery? I've stopped downloading those recolors because so few of my sims can afford them, and they never get used.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Rosebine, I think the point is for you to see how other people do it, and then adapting their style to yours if you find their methods useful.

Well I'd say, the point would be more to know what the people who download wants. This is the usefulness of it.
Another thing to is that many people sort/organize their Downloads folder in many different ways. I read some will sort by gender, by age..then by top, bottom, outfit..then everyday, formal etc...
How many subfolders that requires?
Just this is enough for me to try shorten everything to a minimum, but I would not like it anymore. And this is just clothing. I have one subfolder in my Downloads for clothing. All the clothing i create ends up in there. Long filenames for me will never be a problem. I'd rather want a fully descriptive name, than a short one that gives close to 0 information on what it is.
If i would download clothing, i would just make a folder with the creator's name, and put everything in there. If the name is descriptive, you know if it is a top or a bottom, you know what gender it is for, and what ages wears it. Simple & efficient.

Mad Poster
#69 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 6:01 AM
Just realised that I never name my mesh packages with the word mesh in them. XD When I'm making stuff I know which one is the mesh because it's the only one without a colour in the name, but I confused myself recently while reorganising files and had to open something up to realise that it was a mesh.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 10:46 AM
For sorting my CC I've now kept it farly simple. By main category (hair/clothing/buy/build/hacks/etc.) then maybe another category under there if needed, and then by either set, creator, or type of item. This way I keep sets together, but I can also search for a particular clothing item or buy item without having to search through the entire Downloads folder.

There are a ton of different ways to sort CC as well, so you just have to find a way that works for you.

Charity - that's why it's smart to have "mesh" in the name
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#71 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
One thing I appreciate that I realized recently- painting recolors on non-expensive Maxis paintings. I use more recolors than custom objects, and for some reason, most of the recolors I come across use City SkySkape or A Stroke or some other painting that will set my sims back thousands of dollars. Especially recolors for children's rooms. Who puts a $4000 painting in a nursery? I've stopped downloading those recolors because so few of my sims can afford them, and they never get used.

That's a thing though - I ran into that issue with my recent nursery paintings. I used the Albert's Discord mesh which is quite expensive and wanted to use something cheaper because, as you said, nursery stuff. But it was the right mesh. And that's the issue sometimes. Right shape but wrong price. I mean I could have re-meshed it and made a cheaper version but then I hate having millions of variants of meshes in my game. I have only ever DL one rug set (Nengi's) because basically, rugs are rugs - flat squarish meshes lying on the floor. I don't need half a dozen variants of that. And the reason I DL Nengi's in the first place was because of the larger versions linked to the set by HugeLunatic - which I like for full room rug purposes.

My sub-foldering is arcane in its complexity. It does lead to problems though because there's invariably stuff that fits in more than one category. Then what do you do with sets? (Have a set sub-folder, that's what).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#72 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone

This one is hard - I make a lot of stuff for my own game, and share things here and over a GoS periodically as well, and while I really enjoy working with Maxis meshes when possible, they do not always offer great variety. Painting recolors are tricky in the sense that the cheapest Maxis meshes are either those tape style posters (not a big fan of those ), or just posters in general...many of which require later EP's like Freetime and such.

So, trying to keep in mind that not everyone plays with all EP's and SP's when choosing to share recolors, I like many end up using the more expensive Maxis meshes for recolors too, as I try and stick with the ones that came with Nightlife, or the more popular EP's. Those meshes tend to have more options for cheaper custom add-ons too, if that is what a player wants.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Alchemist
#73 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Anyway, I appreciate all the creators out there who've played/looked at TS3 or TS4 and decided 'I need that for TS2.' Seriously, just the TS3/TS4 to TS2 hair conversions alone could make any simmer happy, but the amount of clothes, objects, and furniture set conversions out there almost makes you forget the fact that it's almost been a decade since the last TS3 expansion. So thanks to all the creators who convert stuff.
I second this. I usually go for non-Maxis hair, but I prefer Maxis-match objects and clothing. It's so nice to be able to download what are basically EA stuff packs on a regular basis for years on end now.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I'd think that having vastly different names (like if you called yourself Poinsetta in the file name) would be different.

Like, say... Bulbasaur and ihatemandatoryregister?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#75 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
This one is hard - I make a lot of stuff for my own game, and share things here and over a GoS periodically as well, and while I really enjoy working with Maxis meshes when possible, they do not always offer great variety. Painting recolors are tricky in the sense that the cheapest Maxis meshes are either those tape style posters (not a big fan of those ), or just posters in general...many of which require later EP's like Freetime and such.

So, trying to keep in mind that not everyone plays with all EP's and SP's when choosing to share recolors, I like many end up using the more expensive Maxis meshes for recolors too, as I try and stick with the ones that came with Nightlife, or the more popular EP's. Those meshes tend to have more options for cheaper custom add-ons too, if that is what a player wants.

I understand. I just wish there were more balance. There are a few base game paintings in the $100-$400 range that I probably I couldn't find a single recolor for online if I tried, but I have 30 City SkySkype recolors myself. Poor people deserve decent artwork too.
Page 3 of 5