Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 3:15 AM
Default About to start playing TS2 again, any tips?
Hey guys! Long time no see!

I'm finally redownloading TS2! But to be quite honest, I've forgotten a lot. Other than hitting up the Essential Mods list, do you have any tips for a new game/player?

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 3:24 AM
Play on speed 1 and 2, pause and check needs often. If you feel needs are going too fast tick need perks. If your sims are poor you can buy a bookcase, grab a book and sell the bookcase. use a cheap painting or flamingo for fun and spend your money on a good bed not a TV. Serve meals and place in the fridge for quick meals. Jot down annoyances and ask for mod fixes. Most things do not have to be suffered through.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Play on speed 1 and 2, pause and check needs often. If you feel needs are going too fast tick need perks. If your sims are poor you can buy a bookcase, grab a book and sell the bookcase. use a cheap painting or flamingo for fun and spend your money on a good bed not a TV. Serve meals and place in the fridge for quick meals. Jot down annoyances and ask for mod fixes. Most things do not have to be suffered through.

Good idea, I'll keep a notebook next to me. Time to crack open Winrar!

Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:18 AM
Relax, have fun, read the "Stupid/Random Questions" thread in your spare time.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#5 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:42 AM
As you download ... keep it organized from the start. Yeah, I understand and know it's hard as you just want to grab EVERYTHING and run with it, but trust me in stayin organized from the get go you'll be glad you did later on.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:45 AM
I would grab some default eyes first...yeah maxis eyes give me the creeps. Make a default folder if you do, and organize, organize, organize.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:51 AM
"Realistic" eyes give me the creeps...

Remember, nobody has to be pleased but you!

Remember also - this is a sandbox. The game has a lot of potential directions it could go. There is no 'right' move.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 6:09 AM
I didn't say realistic eyes. Realistic eyes also give me the creeps. The eyes that I use are 'Maxis Match' (quite a misnomer as they are nothing like Maxis eyes but certainly not realistic either, they are bright and cartoony) To me Maxis eyes look dead and soulless.

Yes OP, please yourself. That is why I said make a list because your list will not match anyone else's.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 6:53 AM
* Install unlinkondelete and, If you decide to turn a sim into vampire (be bitten by one to be exact) - creaturefix. Those mods/hacks/fixes are crucial for your game so that you don't screw it up and not get borked on itself. Bugs and poor coding of the vanilla game is a little effed up like that.
* Try out that tutorial game that is on the main menu.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 7:34 AM
remember to put ceiling tiles or a roof or else it could rain inside your house =))
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 7:37 AM
Mod it, mod it until it crashes!

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 8:12 AM
I didn't say realistic eyes. Realistic eyes also give me the creeps. The eyes that I use are 'Maxis Match' (quite a misnomer as they are nothing like Maxis eyes but certainly not realistic either, they are bright and cartoony) To me Maxis eyes look dead and soulless.

Yes OP, please yourself. That is why I said make a list because your list will not match anyone else's.

It was the first CAS thing I installed, I remembered how creepy the Maxis ones were.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
As you download ... keep it organized from the start. Yeah, I understand and know it's hard as you just want to grab EVERYTHING and run with it, but trust me in stayin organized from the get go you'll be glad you did later on.

Bulk Rename Utility has always saved me.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 2:48 PM
Welcome back Alpal425! I certainly haven't forgotten you. In fact I was wondering where you had got to.

You're not really a new player, so I'm sure you'll soon find your feet again once you start to play. I'm sure you'll soon remember what sort of CC you like, so you might not go too berserk downloading everything! The same should go for the more esoteric and individualistic hacks.

It's good advice to play slowly, at least to begin with. I always play on speed 1 except when it automatically goes onto Speed 3 because everyone is asleep / at work / at school. I also use the Pause button a lot!

Peni is right -- all that really matters is that you enjoy your game. I like to add one thing to that; I like my Sims to enjoy the game too! If my Sims and I are enjoying ourselves in our game, what does it matter what the world thinks?

Anyway, welcome back to MTS! And Happy Simming!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:04 PM Last edited by ihatemandatoryregister : 15th Dec 2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: tyop
Welcome back. My tips:

1. Grab the anti-corruption and essential mods, such as nounlinkondelete, creaturefixes, No Sim Loaded, and Choose Your Cemetery. There's more than this but these are the four I can remember. These will keep your game healthy and your hoods from corrupting and losing your favourite Sims.

2. Play for a while. If something annoys you, look for a mod that changes it. Then it'll be your game and not somebody else's.

3. The pause button is your friend. While you're still getting the hang of the game, stick with smaller families. Sims aren't very smart at first, but if you have them look after their needs, they soon learn to look after themselves.

4. Start organizing your CC early. My system looks something like /Downloads/Body Shop - Clothing/[creatorname]/. It's easier to do this than to dump them all in unorganized and try to sort it later. Keep in mind the 255-character limit. Delete your cache files whenever you install or remove CC.

5. Have fun.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:36 PM
@AndrewGloria - I didn't forget you either! In fact, I don't seem to have forgotten any of you! Your profile pics have been burned into my mind for all eternity. I'm happy you remember me too, though! But to be fair, how could anyone forget a ditz like me? But yeah, Sims 2 controls seem to be much faster than Sims 3 or 4. I'll have to be more careful, since the moment a Sims stops doing something, Free Will seems to take over immediately! And my Downloads folder has magically appeared with hundreds of Maxis Match hair already... whoops. At least it's organized?

@ihatemandatoryregister - Oh, thank you! I forgot the Select Cemetery one. That's a biggie.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:42 PM
I remember your avatar, Crumplebottom is hard to forget. *makes me nostalgic for a city subhood and some purse whacking action*

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 11:29 PM
I remember your avatar, Crumplebottom is hard to forget. *makes me nostalgic for a city subhood and some purse whacking action*

Can't help it, she's so cute, imo. Though I do have a spare avatar laying around in my sketchbook -

Yet, I cannot find it in me to ditch Mrs. C. like that.

Do you guys have a recommendation for the best town to start in for a beginner? Are some more challenging to play than others?

Mad Poster
#19 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 11:42 PM
Depends on what you find challenging and what you enjoy. It's a challenge finding things for the Desiderata sims to do, for example.

The base game hoods have the best drama of the Maxis hoods. Some of the recent fan-made ones have even better drama, though.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 11:47 PM
Do you want an inhabit hood? Empty hood? Lush?Desert?City? island/inland/coastal? I take it you mean downloaded, if you mean the in-game ones no idea sorry, I havn't played those in years.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#21 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 12:17 AM
Welcome back!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 1:03 AM
My own preference, and indeed recommendation for an absolute beginner is Veronaville, because there are no pre-existing pregnancies there, and pregnancies are difficult to play because of the very rapid motive drop. But, as I said before, you're not an absolute beginner, and you may well take pregnancies in your stride.

One caveat about Veronaville though. If you use Tarlia's version, as I think most of us here would recommend, you don't get any townies. Now without its townies, Veronaville is rather empty. Even if you bring in the Veronaville bin families, they're all Montys and Capps, and, since they all hate each other, they'll start fighting in the background on every community lot visit. It soon gets tedious. I reckon Veronaville needs its townies. Now you can make your own townies with the Townie and NPC Maker (or the mailbox), or you can create them in CAS and then make them into townies with a teleporter. But, if you would like the Maxis Veronaville townies (and IMHO they're an interesting bunch of characters), you can download them from my LJ. (You have to re-create them in CAS;, and you can get their original personalities from the Wikia wiki.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#23 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 3:11 AM
Welcome back! Id recommended going to the featured section of the downloads there are some real gems hidden in there.

Also unrelated side note we joined the same year and only about two months apart.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 7:37 PM
My advice, as I've also recently reinstalled the game on a different computer: double-check that custom content is enabled, it's in the dialog box in settings. I discovered after downloading a bunch of fixes and some custom content sandwiches that can be made at any time of the day or night that the game disabled custom content because it thinks fixing its own bad coding 'overrides the game's behavior.'

Aside from avoiding corruption, I figure there's no right or wrong way to (re)play the game. I've probably shared before that my opinion of the original three neighborhoods is they were written/shipped before any of the expansions were ever released, so even the suggestions the game gives you (ex., 'hey there's Don, try marrying her to Cassandra!') can be ignored entirely.
Page 1 of 2