Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 11:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can't take pictures anymore
I can't take pictures anymore. I thought I had reached the neighborhood's "limit" or something, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is because of a limit, I mean, there were 14,601 images in the storytelling folder. There doesn't seem to be a limit of xml-files, I haven't reached it at least because an xml file was still added to the folder when I tried to take a picture in a family with no pictures. But no image. Not even moving over a 1000 images worked. I thought it would help, but it didn't, which is why I'm posting this.

I'm aware of fraps, and I have it, but storytelling is much more convenient inside sims. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to be making stories otherwise...
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 11:32 PM
Update: Nope, doesn't work in any other neighborhood either, not even after moving the whole ts2 folder out and starting fresh. So it's clearly a game issue. I'll try reinstalling tomorrow. -.- Going to be a pain to do all the game file edits again (globalprops, removing logos, CEP, neighborhood templates, etc.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 11:50 PM
You never need to move the entire folder out, simply rename it and it will make you a fresh one. Did you change any install files recently?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 11:55 PM
pictures for this site are better done with any third-party picture-taking program (FRAPS, Gadwin, etc) than with the game's camera.
if the pictures are for another Sims2 site, probably check that site's policies.

not sure, but the problem might relate to graphics settings of either game or computer.
re-installing probably should be a last resort. or if you have Ultimate Collection, repairing at Origin site would be a better option than re-installing.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 12:05 AM
joandsarah77: Ok, it felt safer moving it out, haha! Especially if I'm going to reinstall the game. And no, not that I know of. So I don't know where this problem is coming from.

mdsb759: I know, and like I said, I have and use fraps, but I also use the in game storytelling feature, and that you must use the in game camera pictures for.

I have no idea what to do other than reinstalling so I'll have to try that I checked the Cameras-folders in the game files but it's greek to me. Didn't make me any wiser.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 12:19 AM
Moving it out is more likely to corrupt something. Slim chance but a chance. I have 4 sims folders, I just rename whichever one I want to play to The Sims 2, The game can only read that one. Just put 'old' or something into the old folders name to stop the game reading it, it's that easy.

What you can do is your new folder will have it's own set of cameras. Delete the old ones and replace with those fresh ones. Reinstalling should always be the very last option.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 5:32 PM
In your Camera folder, do you still have
SnapshotCamera.txt ? it is linked to Storytelling.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 6:21 PM
joandsarah: "What you can do is your new folder will have it's own set of cameras. Delete the old ones and replace with those fresh ones. Reinstalling should always be the very last option." But as it didn't even work starting with a fresh TS2 folder, I don't see how replacing those cameras would work either.

Rosebine: Yes, it looks like this:

Something wrong? Anyways I'm going to try doing a system recovery instead of reinstalling, maybe that'll work since I didn't have this problem a week ago.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 6:24 PM
Mine says the same thing.. Sowwy, I tried.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 10:08 PM
Are you looking in the right place? >EA Games>The Sims 2>Cameras. The new sims 2 folder.

Inside that folder it should look like this. Does it look like that or does yours look wrong?

If those look right copy those and paste them into your old folder.

If it does look correct and you have copied and pasted and it still doesn't work. Check the file ending. is it .txt? Also make sure your file endings are not hidden in case it is doubled. .txt.txt. if the file ending is set to hidden the second.txt may not be visible. The second .txt needs to be removed if it is there.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 10:15 PM
Not even a reinstallation helped... what the hell. Seems to be a computer issue then? A virus? Also when I opened the game after reinstalling, ALL snapshots in the entire game were gone. Even the neighborhood pics were replaced with that light green pattern. And this is what the Specter family's photo album looked like:

For the record, I can neither take snapshots nor add existing snapshots to an album. I can read existing albums though.
https://youtu.be/-K5oqil1fok

So I've ran out of ideas. Do I need to delete some cache somewhere somehow since I have a 64-bit system? I remember I needed to do something like that a long time ago when I got this computer and installed my games, to get them to work, but I don't remember what that was. Deleting game files where they weren't supposed to be or changing properties?? I think I'm going to give up and just use fraps for snapshots. But I don't know what I'm going to be using to write albums anymore. >.< Putting them into a word document? So inconvenient... Is there a better option? Tips would be appreciated!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Are you looking in the right place? >EA Games>The Sims 2>Cameras. The new sims 2 folder.

Inside that folder it should look like this. Does it look like that or does yours look wrong?

If those look right copy those and paste them into your old folder.

If it does look correct and you have copied and pasted and it still doesn't work. Check the file ending. is it .txt? Also make sure your file endings are not hidden in case it is doubled. .txt.txt. if the file ending is set to hidden the second.txt may not be visible. The second .txt needs to be removed if it is there.

Thanks for trying to help but yes it looked like that, but since the problem was still there using the new folder, it wasn't a problem in my old folder. :/ And yes everything was in order from what I could see. Correct file endings and no doubles.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 11:14 PM
Didn't someone have a problem like this recently - about 2 months ago maybe - might be worth having a search on this forum.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 11:19 PM
I did search but I didn't find anything, that's why I posted this thread. I'm probably bad at finding stuff, I don't know what key words to write. If you know, please tell me.

Also is there a way to hide the current action in the top of the screen for taking screenshots? Other than selecting another sim, because sometimes every sim is doing something. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to replace the in game snapshot feature with fraps for all occasions.

Edit: Oh I know!! Just clicking "options" instead of live mode when taking pictures. You can also download "no pause frame ".
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 1:08 AM
I've gotten closer to solving the mystery:

I tried taking pictures with the antique camera and the vacation camera. Vacation camera didn't work, but the antique camera produced a photo:

It is definitely not what I took a picture of though. I figured out it was actually the last snapshot I took before I couldn't do it anymore. So I went into the snapshot folder (that's not in the neighborhood folder), and I deleted Snapshot and Screenshot. It was that picture. Now I can actually put existing photos into an album! But I still can't take new snapshots, and even the antique camera stopped working, the action is just canceled when you try to take a picture.

Weird, weird, weird things are going on but I might be able to solve this some day... but hoooow. >.<

I have a feeling it is some sort of cache, extra files that are stored somewhere even when you uninstall the game. Like some temporary storing but I can't find it. Maybe if someone who is more skilled with computers than I know what I mean if I'm right.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
I did search but I didn't find anything, that's why I posted this thread. I'm probably bad at finding stuff, I don't know what key words to write. If you know, please tell me.

Also is there a way to hide the current action in the top of the screen for taking screenshots? Other than selecting another sim, because sometimes every sim is doing something. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to replace the in game snapshot feature with fraps for all occasions.

Edit: Oh I know!! Just clicking "options" instead of live mode when taking pictures. You can also download "no pause frame ".

I'm not criticising - just I remember the thread went on for quite a while and had some useful info. Wish I could remember who the poster was or the title - I'll have a think. Maybe someone else remembers it?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 4:26 AM
The OPs in both of the following threads got their camera to start working again by disabling their antivirus. For some reason it was interfering with the in-game camera.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=605606

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment

@Pideli - don't blame yourself for not being able to find stuff like this. Forum search hates me too. I only ever find stuff like this by using Google.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 10:30 PM
ARRRRRRRRGH! Yes that was it! I have Avast too, apparently it's crap. >.< Shouldn't have bought it. Never would have found that out unless you told me. So thank you so much! XD Jeez. All that trouble because of a stupid antivirus.

So in other words I have to turn off antivirus and internet every time I play ts2... Feels totally safe. Or maybe I'll just make an exception for the game, see if it works.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 10:37 PM
At least it was only your snapshots, I had an antivirus that corrupted my character folder and made babies vanish leaving nothing but a blank blue square. So you are not the only one to have issues with Sims2 plus your antivirus.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
So in other words I have to turn off antivirus and internet every time I play ts2...

No, just add your userdata location to the scanning exceptions. Most antivirus programs have the ability to customize exactly what is scanned and when.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 12:55 AM
I use to turn my antivirus off, you may be able to set it to leave Sims 2 alone.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 12:47 PM
It's weird that all these people are having problems with Avast. Maybe it's only the pay version? I've had the free version of Avast for several years now and it hasn't ever interfered with my Sims game.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
It's weird that all these people are having problems with Avast. Maybe it's only the pay version? I've had the free version of Avast for several years now and it hasn't ever interfered with my Sims game.

I was wondering that too - I keep having a check to make sure it isn't starting to sneakily have a fit about sims saves.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 1:49 PM
Mine wasn't Avast it was SpywareDoctor and it never gave an issue until I moved to windows 7 in 2011. And no my memory hasn't improved, I looked up my own post about it on LJ. :D

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#25 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 2:19 PM
It's quite possibly the heuristics bit of the antivirus software that's doing it, where it tries to predict what might be a new virus rather than one in its existing database. Or there's a virus in the darabase that shares some code strings with the game that's getting flagged as a false positive.

It's not a new problem, alas. I dumped McAfee many years ago when after an update it suddenly decided that Sims 1 was a virus.
Page 1 of 2