Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:32 PM
Default Lot downloaders: number of CC files
I posted this yesterday in the Stupid/Random Questions, but I received 0 answers and now the question is buried under a page full of other posts. So I thought it would be best to start its own thread.

This question is aimed specifically for lot downloaders. When you download a lot, what is the amount of CC you allow it to have? I have two lots I want to share to get some stickers, but they have at least 40 pieces of CC each, which I feel like could be too much. What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:35 PM
Most people prefer CC free or only 1-2 pieces of CC :/

I build small houses *^*
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:48 PM
People vary I think - CC-free is often a good option but it's not a hard and fast rule. My With-CC lots are just as popular - if not more so - than my CC-free one. I think what people don't like is either having a Sims2Pack file absolutely stuffed with CC which then gets dumped in their Downloads folder when they install or, alternatively, having to trail around the net findings things, even if you provide accurate links. The solutions to this, if you can't manage entirely CC-free (and I confess I find a lot of no-CC lots boring and lacking in character - though that's not true of all of them) are either:

1. keep it to a minimum and either provide accurate links (you'll have to anyway if you upload here) or include it in the Sims2Pack
2. if you use a fair bit, provide the links but also provide a bundled version of the CC for download somewhere (my preferred site would be SFS) so people can DL the needed stuff in one go. Make sure though you ONLY include the needed stuff - not just everything the game packs up in the Sims2Pack file. You'll need to weed - carefully.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:56 PM
I don't mind the cc, as long as I don't have to go to one thousand places to get it. But then, if it is pretty enough, I may well follow 10 links to get it.

I am far lazier to upload a lot with a huge amount of cc.

I also have a huge downloads folder, so there is also a chance that I may have the cc already. (I am a lazy builder when it comes to my game, I download quite a number of lots because if a family has to move, they have to move right now ).

Downloading a lot without cc is definitely quicker and easier - but I have not seen much difference between my own cc and no-cc downloads (most have no cc but at least 2 of them do have quite a lot) - the players who like my lots download them anyway (and I am so thankful that some players do like my lots).

However, there is always the option (and it is quite popular, I have just downloaded a number of lots yesterday) where you upload two files, one with and one without cc.

Great idea from @maxon about sfs!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 9:51 PM
I don't mind downloading lots if they have up to about 15 items of cc, especially if I like or will find the cc useful. It can save the hassle, if it's a particular style, of searching for similar cc. I've been known to download lots just for the cc, and not use the lot at all.
I like the idea of two lots to choose from, one with and one without cc.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 11:14 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 12th Jun 2018 at 12:43 AM.
Can I just say, please don't use 40 pieces of CC and make your queue mod cry- probably me. Only use cc that your lot really needs.

As a downloader-and I do download lots, I would avoid such a lot. I prefer to grab cc free lots but I don't mind 2-5 pieces if it's really needed.

Occasionally though a lot is so awesome-such as in a contest, that I would grab it and all of its cc as is. Not through the queue here though. I grabbed a houseboat once of somebody's Tumblr which must have had 15-20 pieces.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 11:18 PM
I don't care how many. I keep what I want and set aside what I don't want so it doesn't matter to me if it's 10 or 100. Many times the only way to get certain items is by downloading a lot and I have some lots that do include at least 100 files. Some builders have absolutely gorgeous creations - it's a pleasure to poke around and look at what they've done even if I don't end up keeping it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 11:24 PM
Thanks for your replies. Ideally I would like my lots to be CC free, but that's impossible. I like my custom plants way too much

I'll try to cut down on whatever's not essencial to the lot. It won't look the same, but I'm sure it won't make such a big difference. As for links and whatnot, no need to worry about that - I'll try to get as much as possible included in the file as I can (and creator's policy allows).

Although, now that I think of it, I could create two versions and share them in the same upload - one with all the CC and the other CC-free or limited CC. What do you think?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:26 AM
Is all the CC in your lots necessary for the style of the lot, or can you switch some out for Maxis equivalents? If it's a really stylized lot design, I think people wouldn't mind if the CC is all kept in if it's in keeping with the style, like a historic lot or post-apocalypse deconstruction. But sometimes I see lots with CC cabinets, or wallcovering, or a recolor that isn't so distinct that it makes or breaks the lot, IMO.

So if you're uploading a replica of the Sistine Chapel and there's 40 CC items, sure, go for it. But if you're uploading a basic contemporary Maxis match house with 40 CC items, I personally think that's a bit much. Switching some of those items to Maxis could cut down on some of the CC content.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:43 AM
As others have said, the best practice is to have as little CC in a download as possible. I've (and I'm sure others have as well) downloaded astronomically stuffed lots-one memorable one had something like 100 mg of CC. It took me quite a while to sort it all, and it was all dumped into the downloads folder.

That taught me to hate loaded lots. Only use what you absolutely need to, and you'll find that most people already have most of the CC included.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#11 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:45 AM
I prefer without/very very little. In earlier ages of the world I was too often in the situation that I downloaded a house and it was full of CC that didn't fit my taste, so I had to go through the files and delete all of it.
Why not make a CC and CC-free version?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:49 AM
About a dozen items or so for me max. But that's simplistic. I am much more lenient if we're talking recolors of one item, or wallpaper, or something I can skip without a problem. Parts of a set, such as windows, count as one item for me.

I am wary of a large list of unfamiliar sites. Some more-obscure links disappear, and if you visit the link, you may find the item missing or the entire site missing, and a virus lurking in the shadows of the old site.

And if I really like a lot, I will download more CC with it. Forty is too much for me, though.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:06 AM
I don't mind CC as long as I like the lot. Sometimes I even prefer lots with CC.

If I'm just after a good floor plan for a house, I tend to like CC-free houses.

If it's a specific type of lot that "require" CC to look good (schools, hospitals, other official buildings, etc.), I usually don't download them if they're CC-free unless the floor plan is absolutely amazing. I like CC, don't mind pre-decoration, because either I'll spend several hours decorating or I'll spend a much shorter amount of time removing the items I don't want.

I appreciate very much when the lot creator does the cleaning work, meaning no stray mods/hacks, and no pesky extra recolors, mailbox/trashcan recolors, no missing master files, or anything else that causes a lot of extra work for the downloader.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
Thanks for your replies. Ideally I would like my lots to be CC free, but that's impossible. I like my custom plants way too much

Remeber when you build a lot for upload it isn't for you to play, it's for somebody else. So while you might love CC plants the downloaders might not be so bothered. The game comes with plants so unless it's a rather specialized place-desert needing desert plants its very easy to swap custom plants for Maxis. Or another trick is to package your lot with the cc plants but then untick them in CI and give links to them on your upload while saying these are needed for the lot to look the same, go get these. If the people downloading your lot have those CC plants they will still show up for them without them being in your lot file. if you include them you need to check each creators TOU. Whichever way you go you still need links to each download item, the name of the item and the name of the creator. If it's an entire set it's okay to give one link and list the items, this has to be done manually in the description since the Wizard will give you 8 links for 8 items in a set.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:06 AM
I prefer lots that are cc free or that I can install without the cc. Like, say, I already have that item in my game. I might very well have a cc plant already, and I almost certainly have (or want) any EA completer sets I don't have.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
#16 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:31 AM Last edited by Honeywell : 12th Jun 2018 at 3:41 AM.
When I share lots with cc I don't package the lot with any of it because it's an absolute mess for downloaders to have to clean up their downloads from it. Any build items that can be shared (or items that I think are necessary for the lot structure) I include in a separate folder for people to download - or not - as they see fit. Any buy mode cc I consider optional and I link to it.

Doing it that way makes it easy for everyone - those who want the cc and those who don't.

ETA: Here's my last lot upload as an example if you're interested in what that looks like: Country Luxury
Scholar
#17 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 9:58 AM
I like lots without cc or with cc, as long as the cc is all collected and ready to download on the same page. I don't like having to chase all over the Internet for that special window.

Edit: But the most important part for me is that the lots are not gigantic. My laptop can handle them, but I hate not being able to see all my sims without scrolling all over the place.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:17 PM
And finding them right after they have done something incredibly stupid behind your back
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 1:43 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I will go ahead and remove as much as I can. Anything that's not essential to the look of the lots will be removed. I did a mental walkthrough of one of the lots and I think I can cut at least 15-20 items. Then I think I can upload them
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Remember when you build a lot for upload it isn't for you to play, it's for somebody else. So while you might love CC plants the downloaders might not be so bothered. The game comes with plants so unless it's a rather specialized place-desert needing desert plants its very easy to swap custom plants for Maxis. Or another trick is to package your lot with the cc plants but then untick them in CI and give links to them on your upload while saying these are needed for the lot to look the same, go get these. If the people downloading your lot have those CC plants they will still show up for them without them being in your lot file.

I keep thinking I should make a bundle of the CC plants I use all the time - because I love making gardens and use some plants over and over (my all time favourite is Gwenke's anemones - awesome plant to fill in gaps and give a natural growth impression). But then I find a new (favourite) plant ...

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#21 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 9:02 PM
I prefer downloading no-CC lots myself, though I'll make an exception for something nice. Even so, if I have to download from multiple sources I'll usually pass it up. I just find dealing with all the CC a bit of a hassle, and I've run into GUID conflicts and such before, and it's particularly annoying when there's a Maxis object that would work just as well as a high-poly CC one.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#22 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 10:11 PM
I tend to find lots without much CC in the package file. I'm okay with wall and floor colors because they don't need meshes and I can take them out without fear of breaking anything, but if a lot I really like if it has too much CC, I have to uncheck everything through CleanInstaller (especially for those sneaky mailbox recolors). But I agree with the others, it is a hassle trying to track down the right meshes/master files with some CC (in my case, plants that I install in my game) because sometimes I've had lots flash blue due to missing master files. And when I don't install the CC included, they get replaced with a bunch of random Maxis items all across the lot, so that's a bigger hassle trying to delete them all.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 11:00 PM
Ok, I went through one of the lots and reduced the number of CC items to 20 (well, technically 21, but one is Numenor's Carina Spotlight Stairs, so I'll have to link to the download page instead). I've added some comparison pics (first two are the new version, last two are the original). I think the lot is fine like this. Personally I will play with the original, but for sharing purposes I think the second is OK. Do you think 20 is a good number or should I cut down even more? Roughly 10 of these are structural, like walls and windows.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 11:13 PM
@Primavera Extra mailbox/bin and stair recolours are not allowed in lots uploaded here. Off MTS anything is possible including hacks.

@Yvelotic2001 very nice. If something needs a master or scriptorium mention that. If there is not something Maxis that you can swap to keep it. Since this is your first upload here I recommend The Creator Feedback Forum. Good not only for tips or help but for setting up your download post and making sure you have followed the guidelines. Getting things right beforehand will prevent Cr's. (Changes Required) Pm that nobody wants to see in their inbox.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#25 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Primavera Extra mailbox/bin and stair recolours are not allowed in lots uploaded here. Off MTS anything is possible including hacks.

I know, that's what I'm grateful for about MTS. I find some lots outside MTS (mostly tumblr) and while they're pretty, sometimes the mailbox colors and certain hacks I don't have find their way into the upload. That's why I limit my non-MTS downloads when I can.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Page 1 of 2