Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 12:17 AM
Default Would anyone be interested in a Secret Santa?
Christmas is coming!

I've been thinking about how much fun it'd be to do a Secret Santa here on MTS. Nothing too fancy, but more of a fun thing between friends where we give each other fun little pieces of CC. Nothing made too fancy, because there's only a few weeks in which to do it. I'd love to make a pet breed for someone.

In the Random Thoughts thread, I said that my limitations made me reluctant to try to arrange it myself–but I've been thinking more about this. When there's something I want to do, I can be pretty stubborn. So I might be able to pull it off. I'd need some help, mostly just someone to spot-check to make sure I didn't accidentally leave anyone out.

Of course, this would depend on whether anyone would even be interested in the first place. I know that the holidays are a pretty busy time for everyone.

So, uh, leave your thoughts here.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 2:53 AM
I would like to take part and would also be happy to help you to organise it :-)

If other people are interested, of course!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 2:56 AM
Sounds fun; but I can only WATCH, as I don't create anything. Um...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I would like to take part and would also be happy to help you to organise it :-)

If other people are interested, of course!

That's good! I was making a sort of application. Sheesh, that sounds overly formal, but it looks like this so far:

Quote:
MTS Username:

What are you good at making?

What EPs do you have? (this is to prevent the Santa from accidentally making something incompatible)

Any suggestions for your Santa?

I feel like I'm missing something important, but can't quite place what.

Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Sounds fun; but I can only WATCH, as I don't create anything. Um...

Perhaps the other Santas wouldn't mind putting their stuff up for general download too.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 3:37 AM
If it was more a Christmas in July thing, yes, but I have too much on this time of year to take on another. Also I will ask in staff if this is okay to run here perhaps as a social group or if they want it off-site, only it's getting close to requests which as you know are not allowed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 4:16 AM
I'm sorry. I got excited about the idea and didn't think to ask first.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:50 AM
GoS usually has a Secret Santa event this time of year (well, I think there's at least 3-4 gift-giving events every year, often around Easter, July, Halloween and Christmas). Maybe enter in theirs if there's little interest here?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:52 AM
@Bulbizarre you have the go-ahead if you want to hold it as a social group.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:54 AM
How would I set up a social group?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
How would I set up a social group?

Community> Social Groups Home, scroll down to the bottom and click 'Make a group'.

I'll play too- I'm not really good at making anything, but I'll have a go for this!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:21 AM
I've set up the group!

http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay...546&groupid=930

I've also set up the application thread. The deadline for this is this Saturday (December 8). That won't leave very much time, I'm afraid, but perhaps if it does well enough we could do a better job next year...

Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 12:29 PM
I like the idea, @Bulbizarre - this year is hectic, I am moving; next year I would love to join.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 5:27 PM
Oh, I would love to play, too. But, I can't make anything, so I'll just watch the fun

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:11 PM
I have to admit to not really knowing what a Secret Santa is, although I have occasionally downloaded things from other sites that I think were originally made as part of a Secret Santa scheme. But, from what I read here, I think it's a sort of Sims version if what we did on St. Nicholas Day (6th December) when I was a student in Germany. (I was given a name of another student in the Wohnheim (dorm) and I bought a small inexpensive present for her. I was to spend no more than about 2 Marks (about one Simoleon) on the present. Meantime, somebody got my name, and gave me a little wooden train. I can't remember what I bought or who it was for.)

So, as I understand it, it should work like this here if I sign up:
Bulbizarre will give me the name of another entrant, and I'll try to make something for them. Their application might give me some sort of idea of what they would like, and I presume that Bulbizarre would try to match me up with someone who might like something that I'm capable of making. Meanwhile another entrant gets told to be my Santa and make something for me. Then we all have till Christmas to make our presents and give them to the recipients.

Is that more or less how a Secret Santa works?

If so, I think I might give it a go, though I have to warn you that my creative abilities are limited. The things I think I'm reasonable at are simple clothing recolours and alpha edits, and inexpensive, but value-for-money houses. And I suppose I could just as easily do cheap business premises. If I've understood that right, and if what I have to offer is of any use, then I'll join.

I know I'll have to clean out my In-box to be able receive PMs too.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:20 PM
Yup, that's how it works. Don't worry about your gift being too fancy, just try to make something your recipient would enjoy.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 5:18 PM
Just a little bump here. If you're interested, you have until this Saturday to enter. Don't forget!

Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 1:07 AM
I was thinking about this, and really the only thing I can make are mods, and it won't be easy to tell what kind of mod someone would want since people are probably going to suggest other things. I was wondering, would it be very against the spirit of the thing to PM the person I get and ask them to give me a request? That way I could be sure it's really something they want. I don't think "surprise me!" works so well when it comes to mods.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 2:28 AM
I figured that if the Santas had any questions for their recipients, they could send the messages through the arrangers - so either me or @lauratje86, depending on which one assigns the gift. (We're trying to figure out a way to split it so that we both get surprised by our Santas.) She might have a better idea than I for this, though.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 3:18 AM
Well, if I'm the only person making mods, it would be kind of obvious anyway. Also, I'd probably need to have some back-and-forth in case what they request initially isn't possible.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 3:58 AM
Well, I'd say it's okay anyways. The recipient will still get a gift, even if it's not quite as secret as usual.

Alchemist
#21 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 7:35 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Dec 2018 at 8:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Well, I'd say it's okay anyways. The recipient will still get a gift, even if it's not quite as secret as usual.

It's still a surprise who Santa will be, just not what Santa will bring. I actually think it'd be cool to work with Santa a little - you'd get to know each other a little bit.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 9:55 PM
We have 9 participants so far! Applications close tomorrow, so I hope we'll get a few more people before then! :-)

AndrewGloria and kestrellyn, I do hope that you both decide to join us! :-)
Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
AndrewGloria and kestrellyn, I do hope that you both decide to join us! :-)
I've joined!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 1:39 AM
Sounds fun, I wanna join
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 1:55 AM
I be intereste in joining you

I am truly a Sim Fan
Not a Warcraft or a Civilization,
I am truly a Sim Fan