Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Have you noticed the Hirogens got smaller in every episode? My favorite is the 2nd episode, where they captured Tuvok and 7. In that episode they were huge!

Hah, they did? I only ever noticed the Cardassians looking completely different the second time we saw them, and the Ferengi having a fairly significant change of character after the writers realized they were dumb as hell. Either way, consistency is hard and it's very easy to design something for one episode and then redo it for the next. It's a move I've already caught myself making several times with Bridgeport'88.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
But it isn't just the sims, the whole world is different. In TS3, your whole world is literally built up. Most buldings, except RH, are built with walls, roofs, beams, friezes, foundations, etc... while in TSM they're not. They're premade shell, so the buildings are actually "objects" instead of something that is built in an engine. To simply put, there is NO building engine in TSM. That takes LOADS off the game.

That's not true from a technical point of view. Medieval does have the code to have a functional build mode. What it doesn't have is the UI to access it. Inside the shells there are REAL buildings, built using the same build tool The Sims 3 has. That's why when tyr to place a structural object on the ground the game tells you "It must be place against a wall." You can change wall textures and floor tiles. You can add windows, doors, arches, fireplaces (and they require a wall too), there are columns. It's all there except the wall tool to make new rooms (where, that's a different question). It's a very simplified version of build mode, but underneath it all the same system that functions in TS3 functions in Medieval.

To sum up, shells in Medieval are like shells in TS3. Inside you have an actual building created with the same tools TS3 has (they were probably disabled afterwards. So NO, the buildings aren't objects. They're lots with a shell and inside the shell there's a building just like anything you would find in any other Sims game.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:05 PM
I assume that if anyone had an excessive amount of free time on their hands, they might even be able to unlock some part of the Build Mode functionality.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:07 PM
Interestingly while Sims medieval doesn't have a visible family tree it still manages family relations identically to The sims 3 allowing sims to recognize brothers, parents-in-law etc. But good luck noticing that without either killing off hero sims or using mods.
Inventor
Original Poster
#30 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:43 PM
A core mod could enable most build mode features, but the UI would require a lot of work to function properly.

I did some experimenting, and indeed, underneath shell buildings there are actual WALLS:

There's a grid outside some shell buildings (if I had a wall tool, I could probably build in that area):

And indeed the game identifies all sorts of family relations like TS3:

Page 2 of 2