Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 9:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Need help to ensure that my Sim recovers a copy of a book that she wrote
Recently all the books and bookshelves in my saved copy of Moonlight Falls got deleted, forcing me to recover the bookshelves and books from the ground up. I am slowly working towards retrieving them, and have already gotten close to completing all the community lots. And then I can complete all the residential lots. It's a pain in the butt but it's something that I'm prepared to do.

The problem is that one of my Sims has made multiple orders for a copy of a book that she wrote. But the mail carrier isn't delivering it. And she's only got 2 more days to live before she dies. Well technically she's only got 1 day left, but I have adopted a new practice to have each Sim die a day later than their scheduled death day. But one day later only. So yeah, it's getting rather urgent to recover a copy of that book that she wrote.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 3:44 AM
While I have no idea how or why all books and bookshelves would be deleted from a world, nor why one must have a "scheduled death day" in TS3 unless that is really what one wants and has arranged for it by way of mods, I would suggest the NRaas WrittenWord mod. It's purpose is to make sim-written books show up for sale at the local bookstore. Not sure if it applies to books having been written before the mod is added, but I think it might.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:32 AM
Because I have my Sims die when they are 90 Sim days old. Since they don't automatically die in my game, forcing me to manually make them die when they officially reach the day where they are scheduled to die, which is after the Sim has become an elder, and their age bar reads 90 days old.

Also where exactly is this NRaas WrittenWord mod that you are talking about?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 2:06 PM
That's not how death from old age works, but if you are happy to play that way with a self-imposed lifespan limit then so be it.

NRaas mods are available from NRaas. I didn't think that needed to be explained, but here is WrittenWord:
https://www.nraas.net/community/WrittenWord
(click the download icon to download)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 10:55 PM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 19th Dec 2018 at 11:13 PM.
It's not a self-imposed lifespan. Sims are supposed to die when they reach 90 days old. Both the default settings and the information on The Sims 3 confirm this.

But thanks for the link!

And this is just awesome! :D
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 11:12 PM
Not correct, at least not in TS3.

When a sim reaches the end of their expected lifespan, which doesn't have to be 90 sim days as that is up to the player to set in Game Options, the dice are rolled behind the scenes every night at midnight to determine if they will be live another day or be visited by the Grim Reaper later on, usually in the late afternoon/early evening depending on how busy he is. Some sims will not last that long beyond the set life expectancy, others will win many of those dice rolls in a row and end up living much longer than expected. Small bonuses (no guarantees) are given on each dice roll for having completed the athletic challenge for jogging and for having the Vegetarian trait. Then of course there are Death Flowers and pets who can help bargain for their owners' lives with Grimmy, but the way the game is designed we don't really know when a sim's time is up until it happens.

NRaas Overwatch with logging on tells me who is going to get a Grimmy visit later that day if I wish to read the logs on a game session started up post-midnight, these are listed together with expected "birthdays." Many players know this but prefer not to read those logs, the uncertainty of which on the post-life expectancy elders is again how EA intended things.

Mods can also be used to cause the dice rolls to lean more towards (or away from) death each one of those "extra" days or they can set an absolute limit beyond which no human sim can live. Or the player can step in and manage it themselves manually as you are doing. But it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. My sims' lifespans for humans, non-occults, is 242 sim days. It's rare for any of them in town to die from old age at 242 or 243, most of them make it into the 250s and 260s, some into the 280s, and I've had a small number over the years break 300 though that's pretty rare. It's all about what the player wants to have happen at that stage.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 11:15 PM
I always tend to kill them at 90 days old (or 91 as of recently, if the game doesn't automatically kill them by then)

I prefer having them die on schedule to make room for newer generations.