Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2020 at 5:37 AM
Default Custom Trait using Career-Unlocked Socials
Hi there.
I am trying to create a trait that gives a Sim access to their career-unlocked traits even if they leave their job. (Ex. retiring from said career)
The career I'm looking at is the Military career; so even retired Sims (or Sims that for example switch into the Space Ranger career) will be able to salute, march, spar, tell war stories, etc. They would also maintain their military introduction social. It would function as a reward trait, either unlockable or purchasable in-game.

I have the Mod Constructor V4, and have tried to follow a few of the tutorials on YouTube, but I'm afraid I don't understand them.
So my questions are as follows: Is what I am trying to accomplish possible? And what would be the best (and clearest) source of info to utilize to do this?
I would love to make this trait accessible for the community... it just really isn't my forte.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 6:33 PM
Since you're using MC I'm not sure of the best way to help, but it is possible. Maybe not in MC but definitely with S4S. Anyhow, I recommed joining Zerbu's Discord server as there are helpers in there that should know what to do. Good luck!

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2020 at 12:28 AM
Thank you, @MizoreYukii! I will give that a try, and greatly appreciate the advice. Have you done this before with S4S?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd May 2020 at 1:58 AM Last edited by MizoreYukii : 2nd May 2020 at 4:58 AM.
I am actually working on something similar now in S4S that was requested earlier this week: ghost interactions as a trait for humans. I don't know how the socials for the Military career are setup, but it should be a similar concept.

What you want to do is clone a trait from EA to use as a base, something similar but small that is easily cleaned up (after all you don't want a ton of unrelated leftovers). So open S4S, go to Tools > Create Empty Package, then again Tools > Extract Tuning... and find a trait, then "Add to current package". In your package, click on the trait that was just added and on the right go to the Data tab, and typing in where it says Name add something like CreatorName:trait_militarycareer_unlocked and click somewhere else. If you made sure to put : in your new name and after your creator name, this will assign a new instance and tuning ID to your file and make it a custom file so it won't override EA's trait. Make sure to copy the instance and replace the instance in the accompanying SimData. Be careful editing SimDatas, they can cause UI issues, crashes, etc. if you delete something you aren't supposed to, if the instance doesn't match it's related file, etc. For the name you just copy your name, go to the XML tab of your SimData, just replace the name there that is at the top and it will recognize the new one.

Save then close and reopen the package (this stops a bug from happening). Now find the interactions from the career that you want and also add them to your package for reference (you can always delete them later if they are untouched). The first thing to do is to check the interactions for tests that keep them from showing up for regular sims. I quickly checked Spar and it has a career test at the bottom of the file, which is something that will need to be removed for your trait to work. However, you don't want to override this EA's file either, so you want to give them a new name, etc. just like with your trait. Remove the test (carefully, click the - symbols on the left to collapse the XML trees), now copy the tuning ID (it's under your name in the Data tab and also the S= on the XML tab) and inside your trait should be something like "actor_mixers" or something about affordances, etc. I don't know all the details yet as I just started working myself, but you replace the interactions listed with your tuningIDs, and for reading purposes the name (only the tuningID is important). Hopefully that made sense. Some of the interactions, if not mixers, are probably not going to work under the mixer tab but there should be something similar if you look through the TDESC for info.

Here are some tutorials that should help with understanding modding (first link has TDESC tutorials): https://www.patreon.com/posts/tutorials-35031545
https://simsvip.com/category/the-si...e-a-mod/page/2/ (starting on page 2)

Edit: Been working some more on my mod and been studying the TDESCs. Here are the different areas you can add interactions for (I might be wrong but I don't think I am after looking at some examples).
actor_mixers = mixer interactions that appear on other sims when you are playing as that trait sim
provided_mixers = mixer interactions that appear on the trait sim themselves when playing as a different sim
super_affordances = interactions that appear on the trait sim (so like debug, etc. it seems)
target_super_affordances = interactions that appear on other sims while playing as the trait sim

A quick glance at the career interactions, they all seem to be mixers on other sims, so for you I think you need to put them under "actor_mixers". Just make sure to study the interactions first before placing them under an umbrella category though. Good luck!

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2020 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
A quick glance at the career interactions, they all seem to be mixers on other sims, so for you I think you need to put them under "actor_mixers". Just make sure to study the interactions first before placing them under an umbrella category though. Good luck!

This will all certainly be helpful; I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to answer my questions.