Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2020 at 2:41 AM
Default My first Upload
Hi y'all!

I've been working hard on my first upload of a house. One problem I am currently having is with the creator's policies. I really want to include an item (firewood) but could not find any info in the creator's policies about whether or not you're allowed to upload onto another site. The creator doesn't seem to have any rules. I'm assuming I am in the clear. I didn't see them listed in the Creator Policies list.

The item I want to include is from The Sims Resource. I looked at the website's Terms of Use policy and thought maybe that would clear it up. But I'm still not sure. Has anyone had an issue including items from TSR on here? And perhaps a bigger question, is it frowned upon to upload a Sims Resource item to MTS?? (Btw I don't have a subscription I only download free items from TSR).

Here is a link to the item I want to use: https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...mesh/id/184719/

Do you think it's okay for me to include it in my upload and of course linking to the creator?
I feel like it's an integral part of the design. Or is it not a good idea at all?
I am using two different types of firewood from two separate creators. So I could narrow it down, but I really like how neatly stacked the logs are.

Which leads me to my next question....

This is the back of my house

Am I able to upload the lot using any of these cheats: boolProp Allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true, boolProp SnapObjectsToGrid false, and MoveObjects on.
In the guidelines for uploading lots it says "no hacks" does this count as a hack? Or does hack refer to mods in the game?
I'm just a little confused. I tried to find more information about it but could not find any answers.

I was trying to get the firewood closer together and make the shed look more full as it only allows one side of the shed to be full. I also like to use the 45 degree angle sometimes because I don't like everything in a neat line. Without it it feels too stiff to me and not as realistic. But I am open to changing it as I want it to be playable.

Please let me know what you think! Any advice and feedback is appreciated. <3
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2020 at 3:02 AM
Can't speak to questions of using content from another creator, but as far as cheats go, I don't think I've posted a single lot that DIDN'T use those cheats- you're fine using those, they're EAxis content. Hacks would be tools you downloaded that wouldn't work with just the in-game content without the downloader having to also download the hack.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2020 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Can't speak to questions of using content from another creator, but as far as cheats go, I don't think I've posted a single lot that DIDN'T use those cheats- you're fine using those, they're EAxis content. Hacks would be tools you downloaded that wouldn't work with just the in-game content without the downloader having to also download the hack.

Ahhhhh I understand now. I guess that's why they say no CEP too because that would be a hack? Thank you for your reply!!
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#4 Old 1st May 2020 at 5:51 PM
You could always leave custom content out and just provide a link to optional custom content in the description. That way people could choose for themselves whether they wanted cc or not.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2020 at 9:00 AM
1. You can use any cheat you wish to use. It is part of the tools the game provides. Hacks are made by creators and they modify the game, eg. Pescado's phone hack.
2. You can use any cc of your choice; provide a link is essential. Including it in your download is allowed if the creator's policy allows for that - some creators stipulate that you should link back to their uploads.
Good luck!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:15 AM
simaddict99 is a Featured Artist on TSR, and according to TSR all FA content belongs to TSR and is not allowed to be distributed outside of TSR. I cannot find the exact page on TSR because they make you login to do anything there, but if you have an account you should be able to find the TOU of FAs.

As this is your first lot upload, you may want to consider posting pictures that you are planning to use to upload. This way you can get feedback on the lot before submitting to the queue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2020 at 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
simaddict99 is a Featured Artist on TSR, and according to TSR all FA content belongs to TSR and is not allowed to be distributed outside of TSR. I cannot find the exact page on TSR because they make you login to do anything there, but if you have an account you should be able to find the TOU of FAs.

As this is your first lot upload, you may want to consider posting pictures that you are planning to use to upload. This way you can get feedback on the lot before submitting to the queue.

I was wondering if there was a policy about that. I don't have an account but I will take your word from it.

Do you have suggestions for taking pictures of lots? I'm debating if I should use print screen and edit out the UI in Photoshop or if I should use cameraman mode. I read the how-to's. It says to use "TAB Puts the game into Cameraman mode, allowing better and more control of the camera, and removing the blue user interface. Make sure you are in live mode before going into Cameraman mode or you will see grid lines on the ground and floating where floor tiles may be placed. TS3 Note: You will only be able to go into cameraman mode once per load if you are in buy/build mode (without a family moved in). You can either exit to the neighborhood and return to take more pictures, or instead just move a family in for taking your pics."

I would need to move in a sim to take pictures in cameraman mode, correct? I suppose I could make a copy of the lot I plan to upload and take pics in a test game then delete that lot when I am done so no Sim DNA is transferred. Is this what most people do?
Instructor
#8 Old 14th May 2020 at 4:09 AM
You don't need to have a sim moved in to use the cameraman mode, despite the name. Just hitting tab should put you in it. I like to use a mod to remove the pause frame.

It's also a good idea to move a sim or two into a copy of the lot to test it out and make sure there are no issues, like a narrow hallway causing traffic jams or any inaccessible furniture.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th May 2020 at 7:55 PM
Feedback Needed
Okay y'all, I've been tweaking this cabin for a while now. It's supposed to be Ron Swanson's cabin from Parks and Rec. It's not meant to be an exact replica of his cabin from the show, but inspired by his personality.

Please let me know your thoughts! I am unsure if the lot is ready or if I should add anything to it. I don't want to over clutter the space and want to keep it simple as Ron is a simple man with simple tastes. I want just the basics but also hints of his personality. There are some items that I found that I will link for others to download if they wish as I can't contain them in the upload. These items so far are the saxophone, TV, and some other stacks of logs. I am overall pretty happy with the design.

I have the kithen, a reading nook by the fire, and a living room with an old tv and grandfather clock that I am happy with. The space I am unsure about is the area outside the bedroom as it is quite empty. I decided to put the saxophone there, but I don't know what the purpose of that space is and how to figure it out. It's driving me crazy. I just want to upload the lot but don't want it to look unfinished.

I need suggestions for this empty space. Or if you think it is fine as it is let me know. I just want to hear from you guys and see what you think. What else would Ron have in his cabin??
I started to put a bar in because of his love for whisky but it looked out of place. I want the cabin to have the feel that Ron built the furniture himself.
If there is any custom content you know of that might fit let me know. All comments are apreciated!! <3

Screenshots
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:42 PM
I've never seen Parks and Rec, so I can't comment on that aspect of it. If you're going for the cozy-cabin-for-one feel, I would make it a lot smaller. Make a copy of the lot, plop it down, move all the objects closer together and move the walls to suit. Bathrooms don't need to be that large since typically only one Sim will be in them at a time. The bedroom is large enough to make two out of. To fit just the double bed and the wardrobe across from it, you only need it to be 5 or 6 tiles long.

If you want to keep the floor plan the same and just fill it up more... Expand the kitchen by adding an island and possibly bar stool seating. Dining tables are a great way to take up lots of space, so move it away from the wall and add more chairs. Some potted plants here and there would be nice. That would probably fill up most of the left side of the house. Not sure about the right side. Maybe a skill object like a chess board in the middle of the room. Or a desk with a computer? Some objects for a pet if he has one. Browse around the catalogue and try stuff out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2020 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
I've never seen Parks and Rec, so I can't comment on that aspect of it. If you're going for the cozy-cabin-for-one feel, I would make it a lot smaller. Make a copy of the lot, plop it down, move all the objects closer together and move the walls to suit. Bathrooms don't need to be that large since typically only one Sim will be in them at a time. The bedroom is large enough to make two out of. To fit just the double bed and the wardrobe across from it, you only need it to be 5 or 6 tiles long.

If you want to keep the floor plan the same and just fill it up more... Expand the kitchen by adding an island and possibly bar stool seating. Dining tables are a great way to take up lots of space, so move it away from the wall and add more chairs. Some potted plants here and there would be nice. That would probably fill up most of the left side of the house. Not sure about the right side. Maybe a skill object like a chess board in the middle of the room. Or a desk with a computer? Some objects for a pet if he has one. Browse around the catalogue and try stuff out.

Thanks for the feedback I think you're right I need to make it smaller. Sometimes with the sims I have a hard time relating the objects to the space and I have a tendency to make spaces larger than needed. I think it might be because my room irl is so tiny and I've lived in small spaces but always seem to crave more space lol.

You said for the double bed and wardrobe you only need 5-6 tiles. It sounds like there is a science to it. I usually create the space then add the objects. But do you have any building tips in general? Like do you count out the spaces of a room before you add items? What does your process look like? I am curious because I love to build but sometimes I struggle with floorplans. I love open plans and little details and sometimes its hard for me to see the big picture.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 19th May 2020 at 6:52 PM
Honestly, it just comes with a lot of building and playing the lots you build. You start to get a general idea of how large a room will typically be. Placing objects first and building walls around them helps a lot! My general guidelines are:

Like I said in the bathroom section, what can make translating real-life floor plans into Sim homes challenging is that Sims require both less AND more space than humans. Sims don't need large, walk-in closets since they can keep an unlimited amount of clothing in a 2x1 or 1x1 wardrobe. Sims don't need accessible storage space. Sims don't need laundry rooms. Sims don't typically need multi-car garages. However, Sims also have things that most people don't in their homes. Nearly all my Sim families have a chess set, whereas I don't know anyone in real life who has one. Sims also need pianos, and easels, and exercise machines which many people also don't have. If you use aspiration rewards, hobby items, or the open for business stations, you'll also need space for those. This is highly dependent on play style, though. Maybe you send your Sims to a community lot to skill. Please don't feel limited by anything I've written here. These are my "rules" that work for me and may not necessarily work for you or anyone else. As you gain experience building and playing, you'll figure out what works for you and your Sims.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st May 2020 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
Honestly, it just comes with a lot of building and playing the lots you build. You start to get a general idea of how large a room will typically be. Placing objects first and building walls around them helps a lot! My general guidelines are:

Like I said in the bathroom section, what can make translating real-life floor plans into Sim homes challenging is that Sims require both less AND more space than humans. Sims don't need large, walk-in closets since they can keep an unlimited amount of clothing in a 2x1 or 1x1 wardrobe. Sims don't need accessible storage space. Sims don't need laundry rooms. Sims don't typically need multi-car garages. However, Sims also have things that most people don't in their homes. Nearly all my Sim families have a chess set, whereas I don't know anyone in real life who has one. Sims also need pianos, and easels, and exercise machines which many people also don't have. If you use aspiration rewards, hobby items, or the open for business stations, you'll also need space for those. This is highly dependent on play style, though. Maybe you send your Sims to a community lot to skill. Please don't feel limited by anything I've written here. These are my "rules" that work for me and may not necessarily work for you or anyone else. As you gain experience building and playing, you'll figure out what works for you and your Sims.

Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! And thank you for taking the time to show and explain your process for each room!! It is very helpful!! I am a visual learner so the pictures really help.
You make good points about bathrooms being hard to translate from real life to the sims. I thought that was just me lol. And I get what you mean that they require both more and less space than humans. Thanks for breaking this all down!
Also your room designs are lovely <3
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st May 2020 at 11:47 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 22nd May 2020 at 4:58 AM.
1. simaddict99 is a featured artist so no.
You can always link to CC you can't include

2.Yes please use building cheats, you will achieve better lots.

3. Hacks are something you download and install into your game to change vanilla game behaviour. The only way people should put these in their game is after reading over the hack, and installing it themselves. Not through lots or any other items that may 'hitch hike' in lots. This includes sim references (don't place sims into your lot use a copy to test) I have a tutorial on cleaning lots of sim references but better not to need it.

4. The firewood looks good.
The building area is a bit too large and empty. I would shrink it both in length and width.
Another option is to keep the size but make more rooms and add more items. The way I think is, what is the reason for the space? A large bathroom is fine if you are planning a separate shower and double vanity, if not the sim will feel like it's 'rattling around in there'
Also when decorating think about moving some furniture away from the edges of the wall. Hugging walls all around gives a room a 'scared look' for want of a better word.
I translate sinks to be 1 square, tubs to two. Go check out your own bathroom and living spaces and see how much room you have, count your steps. Sims do tend to need a little more room of course but you don't want them to take a huge amount of steps to cross a room since each step is time and sims don't have a lot of it.
Check out some real houses similar to what you are building, either in real life or online and collect a few pictures. I include sims houses in that too, check out the log cabins already uploaded to this site. Most of us are fine if you want to reuse some deco ideas.
Real-life floor plans are very helpful. The main thing is often the hallway translates to one tile but for sims 2 is better. Laundry rooms can become tiny bathrooms or pantries.

Back later: I use Fraps (free) for taking photos and then since those are large BMPs I use FastStone (free) to bulk change them into pngs or jpgs. It can change 50 shots in a minute. I also suggest a no red pause line so you don't have to crop out red lines. That is just extra work. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=1552

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th May 2020 at 10:11 AM
I agree with Jo, and have some suggestions of my own, because it is mostly a lot of empty space.

1. First thing I would do is to move the dining table away from the wall, and add 3 more chairs - once in a while a Sim may like to have guests over for dinner.
2. Since there is so much open space, I would add another room, which could be a bedroom, a study or a hobby room. Perhaps even 2 rooms.
3. I would make the bedroom smaller - there is a lot of space there that is not needed.
4. The bathroom size is actually good with me (I am a known delinquent on that topic) - just fill it up, with a shower, a plant, a side table, etc. If it is about price, then make it smaller.
5. I would put the TV against a wall and make a cosy TV area, which would get the sofa and side table away from the wall as well -
6. I see a floor lamp and two ceiling lights - I think I would like to add more lights, including a wall light where the bookshelf is, or a table lamp. (I like the reading corner).

It is a learning process, it takes a while before one understands what works when you start uploading, but one learns a lot that way, and it is very rewarding to see your lot on the site. Good luck again!